• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Re Fishermans Friends and Victorys Vs- there was something of a panic in the late 70's/ early 80's about the dangers of addiction from these and parents are advised accordingly through TV and schools. My mother who was usually fairly laid back became obsessed with monitoring my FF consumption and trying to get me to eat "normal sweets " like flying saucers and black jack.

Re Fishermans Friends and Victorys Vs- there was something of a panic in the late 70's/ early 80's about the dangers of addiction from these and parents are advised accordingly through TV and schools. My mother who was usually fairly laid back became obsessed with monitoring my FF consumption and trying to get me to eat "normal sweets " like flying saucers and black jack.
Well I suck a Fisherman's Friend every day (now, now) so I guess my addiction is under control. I usually go for the lemon, mint, aniseed or blackcurrant flavours. Not too keen on the 'original' ones. Haven't had - or even seen - a Victory V for years.

From the mid80s.

FxgjZxxXsAEvkTS.jpeg.jpg

Never had one.

Assume it was like eating napalm.

I was one of those lucky kids who got a Mr Frosty slush puppy making toys in the 70's. It came with three different sachets of flavours but looking back on it now, I wish I'd been more adventurous and used stuff like pineapple juice or similar.

I re found it in my Dad's shed in the late 90's so I rescued it, cleaned it up and we were making stuff like rum slushies at parties with it instead. I think I ended up giving it to someone.

amrfrosty001.jpg

I was one of those lucky kids who got a Mr Frosty slush puppy making toys in the 70's. It came with three different sachets of flavours but looking back on it now, I wish I'd been more adventurous and used stuff like pineapple juice or similar.

I re found it in my Dad's shed in the late 90's so I rescued it, cleaned it up and we were making stuff like rum slushies at parties with it instead. I think I ended up giving it to someone.

View attachment 66620

I had this.

I finished all the cherry flavour, my brother finished all the orange, and our parents had to endure the sour lemon.

All in all though, a fun toy.

I haven't seen a 'Chunky' bar here for years, it is chocolate with nuts and raisins, a sweet treat.
Looking it up I see that it can be ordered from Walmart to be shipped, but I haven't ordered it with the high cost of shipping now.
Meanwhile, all the junk candy is overwhelming at the local stores!

1685617563245.png

I haven't seen a 'Chunky' bar here for years, it is chocolate with nuts and raisins, a sweet treat.
Looking it up I see that it can be ordered from Walmart to be shipped, but I haven't ordered it with the high cost of shipping now.
Meanwhile, all the junk candy is overwhelming at the local stores!

View attachment 66627
I was just wondering the other day if they still made Chunky. My wife and I agree that - while neither of us are crazy about raisins in chocolate, and she doesn't like nuts - the Chunky, with a shape more like a cube than a traditional flat chocolate bar, is a wonderful thing. Yes, still very available, but not quite as popular as it was in my youth. Zagnut is another I loved: like a Clark bar (originally from the same company) or a Butterfinger, but with toasted coconut instead of chocolate on the outside.

I never had the Frosty snow cone maker (the American version looked a bit different than @Swifty's) but I did have the Mr. Peanut Peanut Butter Maker, which ground up Planter's oily, salty "cocktail" peanuts into something like the "natural" peanut butters you see in stores today.

1685620936872.png

Can't imagine why these were discontinued. They tasted like cardboard....

View attachment 66633
Can't find these any more, either. They were tasty, though.

83fba2e4d0d4c3352c858925a11bcdb6edit.jpg

I never associated these with racism. I just thought they were candy shaped like babies, and happened to be dark brown because they were chocolate flavored. I didn't know about the company's earlier brands:

edit 71-31.jpg
edite0cee6f1f030d18744d74e3e1620e81a.jpg

Don't remember them. I do remember green napalm (apple) and red napalm (cherry) and being refused one unless I asked for it by the alleged flavour and not, "I'll have a red one please."
I tried the apple one once. The temperature was volcanic, the taste was chemical. Didn't do that again.

I don't recall ever seeing Tab or Fresca in the UK.

@Lord Lucan

Tab and Fresca were very popular in my part of North West London in the early 1980's.

Diet Coke was not launched until 1982, there was quite a lot of excitement about Tab as a sugar free Cola, but then it became less popular once Diet Coke came onto the market.

Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is.

R Whites was promoted by television ads starring 'The Secret Lemonade Drinker"

Corona had window stickers and cartoon adverts (plus loads of other flavours that appealed to kids such as Cream Soda, Cherry, Lime.)

7UP had a sharp Lime twist and was widely sold with a glamorous image.

Last edited:
I was just wondering the other day if they still made Chunky. My wife and I agree that - while neither of us are crazy about raisins in chocolate, and she doesn't like nuts - the Chunky, with a shape more like a cube than a traditional flat chocolate bar, is a wonderful thing. Yes, still very available, but not quite as popular as it was in my youth. Zagnut is another I loved: like a Clark bar (originally from the same company) or a Butterfinger, but with toasted coconut instead of chocolate on the outside.

I never had the Frosty snow cone maker (the American version looked a bit different than @Swifty's) but I did have the Mr. Peanut Peanut Butter Maker, which ground up Planter's oily, salty "cocktail" peanuts into something like the "natural" peanut butters you see in stores today.

View attachment 66629
It's sad though that the shelves are full of 'junk candy' now, filled with sugar and garbage -
At least Chunky was real chocolate, real nuts and real raisins! :)

I can't find your 'Bird's Custard' in our stores anymore, either.
I know I can have it mailed to me, but it's just amazing how many favorites are just discontinued in our stores, making way for questionable things!

It was always available at our local A & P Supermarket, in a box of 2 or 3 envelopes, even when I was a kid, now it's gone.

I miss Cresta fizzy pop drinks. The brand mascot a 'cool' polar bear with wrap-around sunglasses, I think it used to have the most unusual flavours, such as 'bubble gum' etc.
I remember the ads on TV with the bear taking a swig and saying 'It's frothy man' . I recall them being quite a unique taste and texture - must have been packed with chemicals we aren't allowed to drink any more!

Back