• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Are you thinking of Victory V lozenges? Which originally contained ether & chloroform, not any more. Similar-ish to Fisherman’s Friends & same shape if I remember correctly, but more pokey.
Either would do apparently. This was in the period people were trying to get high on budgie seed, after all.

Bloodsuckers. Green hard sweets with a chewy red centre. They looked like a huge green peanut skin but were probably meant to look like bones....

I found a jar in a UK sweet shop in the early 80s that was almost finished....Had a quartre measure of them. They were the best. Tropical fruit flavoured. I finished the jar in repeated visits to that shop and the jar was never replaced, sadly.

I can find no online record of them existing at all....

Unashamed luxury..

I miss the Marble bar, which came along in the late 90's then vanished again shortly afterwards. It still stands as my favourite chocolate bar of all time, it simply isn't fair. I can't think of one reason why they discontinued it as everyone I knew loved them with a passion. Nothing compares to it, not Hotel Chocolat, or any other fancy nancy chocolate treat. Nothing!

Something happened to Cadbury's in the past few years and I can't get along with them anymore. My old favourite Dairy Milk seems to have developed a waxy texture and doesn't taste anything like it's former self :meh:

View attachment 56962
It's the palm oil. Cheap and nasty tasting.

I brought a tonne of 'Old Jamaica' bars and also Cadbury's 'Dream' bars (the white chocolate) back from Oz the last time I was over there, where there were plenty of them to be bought from Woolworths. And they still have 'proper' chocolate out there (or they had three years ago), where chocolate wasn't 98% palm oil and 'stuff'.

When I wer't lad, you could still get sweets worth a farthing, although the actual coin was out of circulation. They were sold 4 for an old penny. I can remember blackjacks, fruit salad, golf balls, and sour apples. There were others. Also there were 3 old penny Jamboree bags. Which would contain some of the aforementioned along with licorice sticks and the like. Also for 3d was Fry's Five Boys - a chocolate bar. I can also remember Caramac. And a rather expensive round disk chocolate (about 12 to a tube) I can't recall the name of. It wasn't Rolo's although they were good as well.

And then there was the Milky Bar Kid :cool:

And a rather expensive round disk chocolate (about 12 to a tube) I can't recall the name of. It wasn't Rolo's although they were good as well.
Did they have a raised edge? I have a memory of something like that but it was rather a long time ago.
These look similar but the ones I recall were in a paper tube, not a hexagonal package.
droste.jpg

Did they have a raised edge? I have a memory of something like that but it was rather a long time ago.
These look similar but the ones I recall were in a paper tube, not a hexagonal package.
View attachment 57024
Yes, they had a raised edge like a miniature (and unnaturally regular) Yorkshire pudding. But they disappeared, AFAIK, before the 70's were out. could they have been called doubloons or something like that? That's an extremely unreliable flash of memory which I give little confidence to.

And a rather expensive round disk chocolate (about 12 to a tube) I can't recall the name of. It wasn't Rolo's although they were good as well.

Yes, I remember them but I can't recall how they were packaged. Bigger than buttons and with a raised rim.

Also the original "Munchies." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchies_(confectionery) IIRC very like tiny Tunnocks bars.

While we are on the subject, does anyone else get annoyed at the lack of choice in ordinary crisps? Not crinkly, not oven baked, not ridged or any other nonsense, just straight forward potato crisps. I find Walkers desperately disappointing and Smiths, KP, Chipmunk and Golden Wonder have all disappeared into the past. The best crisps I've had in years are Tayto, the problems being that they are not widely on sale in GB and that cheese and onion is not my favourite flavour.

When I wer't lad, you could still get sweets worth a farthing, although the actual coin was out of circulation. They were sold 4 for an old penny. I can remember blackjacks, fruit salad, golf balls, and sour apples. There were others. Also there were 3 old penny Jamboree bags. Which would contain some of the aforementioned along with licorice sticks and the like. Also for 3d was Fry's Five Boys - a chocolate bar. I can also remember Caramac. And a rather expensive round disk chocolate (about 12 to a tube) I can't recall the name of. It wasn't Rolo's although they were good as well.

Were there parma violet sweets as well or have i imagined them? In a little roll?

Were there parma violet sweets as well or have i imagined them? In a little roll?

Nope, you didn't imagine them ...

Parma Violets are a British violet-flavoured tablet confectionery manufactured by the Derbyshire company Swizzels Matlow, named after the Parma violet variety of the flower. The sweets are hard, biconcave disc-shaped sweets, similar to the Fizzers product from the same company but without their fizziness. Swizzels Matlow have also released a line of Giant Parma Violets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parma_Violets

Parma Violets are definitely real. You can still get them in bags of assorted Swizzells sweets, but they are the very small ones. I had some only recently. I think rolls of the larger version are still available (the size of Love Hearts). They're not exactly my favourites. Odd taste. Were they originally supposed to be used the freshen one's breath up? Or am I making that bit up?

I shall start the ball bowling.

McDonald's Hula Burger (1963-1963)

FpfgkBcXgAAAs8G.jpeg

This features a slice of grilled pineapple and American cheese on a bun.

It was 'created' by Ray Kroc, owner and some time CEO of McDonald's, who despite his fantastic name (sounds very aquatic), was clearly cursed with a streak of insanity.

In Southend we had the Hawaiian Burger - beef patty and pineapple ring. Cheese and onions optional. As sold by Gerry's Nosh on the seafront. Standard fare after the pubs closed. Both pub and burger van long gone.

There is a place in Liverpool - can't remember their name, opposite the Jacaranda - that sells a Hawaiian Burger that has chopped fried pineapple as a garnish. Which I also like and is still available.

Grilled pineapple tastes quite meaty - perhaps Ray Kroc was just way ahead of his time?

Last edited:
The swedes like eating food from tubes, caviar for example. Why not mix some cheese in with that caviar. Even better, add some banana too.

51b3646d-8e52-43eb-9b74-71ff917411da.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Asda used to sell big tubs of delicious strawberry-flavoured fromage frais. Discontinued as soon as I got a taste for it; probably for the best. :chuckle:
They did a vanilla one too which was also nice, with a cold custardy texture.

Fromage frais was a newish product then so you could expect supermarkets to stock it. It ended up being sold in smaller individual tubs like yogurt.

Asda used to sell big tubs of delicious strawberry-flavoured fromage frais. Discontinued as soon as I got a taste for it; probably for the best. :chuckle:
They did a vanilla one too which was also nice, with a cold custardy texture.

Fromage frais was a newish product then so you could expect supermarkets to stock it. It ended up being sold in smaller individual tubs like yogurt.
If I told you I had easy access to the above item....?

I remember, not so long ago, there was a concentrated, instant tea liquid available in Irish supermarkets. It was not from any of the recognised tea brands, and I always wondered, who bought the stuff.

A quick search does not reveal the one I recall, it was in tall, narrow, square section bottle.
Ring a bell for anyone?

I remember, not so long ago, there was a concentrated, instant tea liquid available in Irish supermarkets. It was not from any of the recognised tea brands, and I always wondered, who bought the stuff.

A quick search does not reveal the one I recall, it was in tall, narrow, square section bottle.
Ring a bell for anyone?

I remember a concentrated liquid coffee coming in such a bottle, camp coffee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Coffee

Camp Coffee was considered a rare treat in our family. My mum used to make it on cold Sunday mornings for us, putting a spoonful in hot milk. It's the chickory that makes it different from 'real coffee'.
I miss Cresta fizzy pop drinks. The brand mascot a 'cool' polar bear with wrap-around sunglasses, I think it used to have the most unusual flavours, such as 'bubble gum' etc.

Standard cereal-style flakes and clusters ruined (apparently) by mini 'doughnut' hoops with sweet & smoky maple-bacon flavour.

'Limited' to 2019 in the States, because few people liked it.

FmwxRChXkAIO4MA.jpeg

Back