• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Not bad, but "The most complete interactive map of haunted buildings and paranormal hotspots throughout the UK" is what we would call a bold claim, i.e., a lie. :D http://www.paullee.com/ghosts/ghostgeo/ is the ghost-map GOAT (edit: maintained by our very own @DrPaulLee!) :)
  2. D

DVD Release Of FORTEAN TV With Reverend Lionel Fanthorpe!

No extras in the sense of behind-the-scenes or commentaries. Contents are a) every regular episode b) the four 18-rated Uncut episodes c) the Christmas special. Which is a fair bit so i felt unfair saying it was "just the shows" :D
  3. D

I think I sometimes forget how many people have gone over to digital copies of things. For my part, probably 95% of my viewing is streams but there's something reassuring about the physical copies even when they're effectively backups. This way I'm a) chuckign a few quid to Network to say thanks...
  4. D

Maybe you live somewhere with fibre broadband, but I'm out in the sticks and only get a feeble connection - streaming *just about* works, but I still appreciate physical copies of media for when, e.g. my kids are gaming / my neighbours are watching the football / it's windy :D
  5. D

Ahh, I see the FT staff were on this news quicker than me! I did do a brief search but it didn't turn up anything with a recent datestamp. As for DVD players - Network are pretty good with streams and things, you might not have to dust off ye olde physical media players for long :)
  6. D

Wow, this was a bit unexpected. Network On Air, who have brought all manner of dusty oddments out of the archives, are turning their attention to this oft-discussed-on-here TV series. Pre-orders open, released late November. https://networkonair.com/coming-soon/3482-fortean-tv-the-complete-series
  7. D

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Yes it's in the terrier category :) I log back in to report another experience... This was yesterday morning, around 7am. It was still dark (sunrise being about quarter to nine at this point), it was windy, there was drizzle. Taking the dog out for his toilet trip. I'm walking away from the...
  8. D

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Entirely possible. It's in the countryside, granite walls, any number of nooks and crannies. Interior wall surfaces apparently made of whatever was lying around and was flat - tried to hang a curtain rail last week and nearly bit through the screwdriver in frustration :-D Update: Dog is still...
  9. D

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Good idea. I'll bear that in mind. It's fairly old so has throws on it to disguise this / protect what's left. I have not had the dog long enough to comment on its aesthetic sensibilities :) It's an old farmhouse which was uninhabited for some time before we moved in - no offence taken! He...
  10. D

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Not seen a ghost, but our newly-acquired puppy (my first! Wife grew up with them) just went apeshit at an empty sofa. Maybe *he* saw one. I will of course keep the forum informed of any further developments :-D
  11. D

Ghostly Database

Maybe Jonathan Foster is a fresh-faced youth and expects whizzy Web 2.0 widgets for audience participation, rather than sending the site owner an electronick mail, in the manner of our ancestors :-D BTW, what about adding the Watkins Corner / Purton Stoke stuff from upthread? ;)
  12. D

Ghostly Database

I think we'd be hard-pressed to determine what's a real sighting and what isn't! I can see why DrPaulLee might want to remain as the only "editor" as he's put a lot of work into this and may naturally want to retain ownership. But some audience participation, of one sort or another, would...
  13. D

A Werewolf In Wiltshire

Hard to say with the time gap (also @Cochise makes a good point about it being hard to distinguish at the best of times. I guess the sound was directional, which caused me to look again at the girl. But at this point it's just a guess. @catseye the tent zip noise is certainly a possible. Just...
  14. D

A Werewolf In Wiltshire

Facebook's "on this day" feature reminds me of a strange experience I had nine years ago... I lived in a small village in Wiltshire, called Purton. It was a bright and sunny day (a Sunday, a quick Google reveals) and I was out for a walk. Probably going to the local shop; there were several...
  15. D

Italian Flat-Earthers' Train Antics

Sorry, wasn't very clear, was I :) I mean that the stars appear to move from east to west as the earth spins, which in the Northern hemisphere is anti-clockwise but in the Southern hemisphere it's clockwise. If the world was a flat rotating disc, the spin would be in the same direction from...
  16. D

There is a good rotational question to put to flat earthers, though, even if the plughole one is bunk: How come the *stars* turn in opposite directions in opposite hemispheres? (EDIT: I say 'good', but I appreciate there are always "it's a projection" type answers which are immune to logic!)
  17. D

Fortean Podcasts

I went for Podbean. The in-app adverts turn out to be image-based (I had visions of audio apps inserted between the podcasts, in addition to the creators' own ones within them) so I see them when downloading but not when driving. Fast and fairly light, and plays through a bunch of downloads in...
  18. D

Perhaps something lost in translation, but if they're claiming diplomatic immunity this suggests they have come from a Flat Earth to visit our one. A new spin on Flerthery to be sure!
  19. D

Fortean Podcasts

Do any of these three have proper playlists? I have only used Google Podcast so far and it's free, no ads (naturally the podcasts themselves have ads, but there's none from the app itself) and responsive... but also very basic. It'll autoplay the next episode in a series, using my data...
  20. D

Back Issues Of QUEST Magazine By Marian Green

My favourite was the last one. Bridging fairy and UFO abductions with the Joseph Campbell monomyth, and positing an explanation for the phenomena in the first place. And although not said in the article itself, not a great leap to also include ghosts in this "thought-form" lark :) The second...
  21. D

(Issues now listed on a certain auction site if you are interested in that sort of thing)
  22. D

Extracts from "Thought-forms and earth mysteries", article by Paul Devereux, Quest magazine no.55 (September 1983). Reproduced by the kind permission of editor/publisher Marian Green, and the magazine is still going so take a look if you like these :) Underlining is taken from the original...
  23. D

Extracts from "The human response to nature", article by Simon Laurant, Quest magazine no.39 (September 1979). The magazine is still going strong, for more information see their website. -- ...you will hear the Craft discussed from the “Gardnerian”, “Hereditary” or “Traditional” points of view...
  24. D

Extracts from "Towards a dynamic prehistory", article by Paul Screeton, Quest magazine no.38 (June 1979). The magazine is still going strong, for more information see their website. -- Sir Mortimer Wheeler, in “Archaeology from the Earth”, quite rightly points out that archaeology “is...
  25. D

I've added in the two book review sections and submitted these requests to Quest :) EDIT: Marian has OK'd 300-word excerpts from the above articles! Will update this thread with the goodies as I get free time.
  26. D

A little update for you all. I asked permission to reproduce parts rather than full scans, figuring we'd be more likely to get a yes that way. I know it might look like I am trying to drive up the resale value, but hand-on-heart that wasn't on my mind when I asked! More details below, but first...
  27. D

OK, so the earlier two issues have a standard Copyright message, but the 1983 issue adds a note saying written permission from the editor is needed to reproduce things. According to her website (http://www.magicalquest.co.uk/) she doesn't use email! Her webmaster does though, and passes some...
  28. D

I'll do both of these things :)
  29. D

Hi, Don't normally venture into this section, hello everyone :) I like to trawl second-hand and charity bookshops for Fortean books. I'm mostly about the ghosts, but I came across three old issues of what looks like a self-published quarterly magic/esoteric magazine called Quest. A quick...
  30. D

Fortean Podcasts

I tried a couple of early Blurry Photos episodes and I don't think it's for me - they've gone one low-voiced guy and one higher-voiced one and apparently no idea how to balance the sound from their respective microphones, because if I can hear low-voiced guy then every laugh (and there are many)...
  31. D

Fortean Podcasts

Two months in to my podcast odyssey, potted reviews... generally I've listened to the first episode, the most recent episode and the most interesting-looking episodes inbetween of each one. Knock Once For Yes: Listening to this is a bit like browsing this forum, albeit with fewer diversions...
  32. D

Borley Rectory

@Rabbit Will Run: what a find!! I was listening to an Unexplained podcast the other day and it talked about the "pre Harry Price" era of Borley Rectory. The host mentioned that it was on the border of Essex and Suffolk. "Oh, like Bures" I thought, having once spent a weekend there and...
  33. D

Ghostly Database

That's great - the book name rings a vague bell, probably from when I first read the entry in the RD book and was trying to find out more, but at the time I couldn't locate a copy. Cheers! :)
  34. D

Ghostly Database

Fortean Shelf established, here is the tale from the Reader's Digest 1973 publication, Folklore Myths and Legends of Britain: "Halfway between Purton and Purton Stoke is a bend in the road called Watkins' Corner. Allegedly, it is haunted by the ghost of a man called Watkins, who was hanged...
  35. D

Shadows & Oddness

This thread makes intriguing reading as my two most Fortean experiences were shadow people and a strange voice over a baby intercom! :-D
  36. D

Fortean Podcasts

Just started listening to podcasts :-) Having recently acquired a vehicle new enough to Bluetooth to my phone, and enjoyed a couple of weeks of MP3s on the go, I am now exploring spoken word goodies. I use the Google Podcasts app. Based on a scroll through this thread, going to try...
  37. D

Getting Close To Rainbows

Thanks all. @James_H that Telegraph link you posted in the linked thread is pretty much what I saw: https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01295/rainbow-460_1295231c.jpg I got closer than that, the colours widened but faded as I did. I suspect I experienced the same phenomena, a...
  38. D

Getting Close To Rainbows

I do a lot of driving for work - recently, a lot of this driving has been in Scotland. The weather up here has been an exciting mix of low-angled sunshine and driving rain; as you might expect, this means lots and lots of rainbows, hovering over the very pretty landscape. My wife once told me...
  39. D

Ghostly Database

I am now a very long way from Swindon and my books are slowly being unpacked. Going to have a Fortean Shelf! Will dig up aforementioned Wiltshire story and some others too... once everything is unboxed :)
  40. D

Man With No Penis Admits Sexual Assault

FWIW I grew up with a TV-taped copy of Ghostbusters and that had Venkman's "this man has no dick" line replaced entirely by an alternative take, Venkman saying "this man is some kind of rodent, I don't know which". Along with the previously-noted "pencil-neck" for "dickless". It also missed out...
  41. D

40% Of 'First Memories' Are 'Made Up'

I have a few memories from a very young age but, like Yithian, they are more experiences/feelings than the sort of things I can remember from recent days. Also have a very clear memory of flying/floating down the stairs in my childhood home, so huh, memories, what good are they anyway :D I...
  42. D

Beachy Head (Sussex): 'Evil' Shadow Thing

FWIW I grew up close to Beachy Head, went up there in all weathers (including overnight) and never felt anything other than cheerful. It is a suicide spot but, as others have said upthread, there are geographic reasons for that. I'm not saying other posters didn't experience the things they said...
  43. D

Ghostly Database

Excellent, good to see this website is still going :) Had a look around my current location (Swindon) and I recall my Readers Digest book of spookiness and mythology lists one for Purton Stoke, not currently on the map. I'll see if I can dig it up...
  44. D

A Kind Of Synaesthesia? Seeing Noises

I get this! Black and white imagery associated with noises when I am in a half-asleep state. I read up on synaesthesia with great interest but concluded it wasn't what I had - then I came across some stuff very similar to Ermintrude's post, the only difference being the article I read said it...
  45. D

Nightmare Of Eternal Descent

Once read a story in an SF collection where an *immortal* character is sent spinning through space by an explosion. The narrator, who is also immortal, never sees them again but keeps returning to the concept of spinning forever through empty space... found that pretty harrowing. Spoiler: there...
  46. D

Rational explanations for shadow people, please...

Stress levels dropping a bit now, which means better sleep, and yes the shadow people have stopped appearing. I do try to be rational but you were all tremendously reassuring and I'm sure that has contributed to the improvement. Big love to all the internet strangers! :) It's just been the...
  47. D

Thanks everyone. I do have noticeable floaters in my eyes as it happens. Now you mention it, Old_Shoe, I can see how that might contribute to the erroneous pattern-matching Frideswide talks about. Eye test, Frideswide/rynner2: I am a contact lens wearer so get checked out every couple of...
  48. D

...because I've started seeing them in my house. Basically I am a teensy bit strung out at the moment and I've started seeing black or dark-grey silhouettes out the corner of my eyes and/or in mirrors around my house. It's happened four times - three have been humanoid and one has been a spider...
  49. D

Ball Lightning

Ball lightning captured on film and spectrograph "(Phys.org) —Researchers in China have captured, for the first time, an instance of ball lightning, on digital video along with spectrographs. The accidental capture, detailed by the team in a paper they've had published in Physical Review...
  50. D

Spontaneous Human Combustion

Just seen this post on the BBC website. Funnily enough I was just the other day thinking there hasn't been an SHC case reported for years, and whether that was in any way significant (i.e. the coroners had simply gotten better at finding out why people had burned so weren't logging cases...
Back