• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

DVD Release Of FORTEAN TV With Reverend Lionel Fanthorpe!

I should also like to see it on Betamax and wax cylinder.
Maybe you live somewhere with fibre broadband, but I'm out in the sticks and only get a feeble connection - streaming *just about* works, but I still appreciate physical copies of media for when, e.g. my kids are gaming / my neighbours are watching the football / it's windy :D

Maybe you live somewhere with fibre broadband, but I'm out in the sticks and only get a feeble connection - streaming *just about* works, but I still appreciate physical copies of media for when, e.g. my kids are gaming / my neighbours are watching the football / it's windy :D

I was just riffing on what Yith said. I think physical media is important and even actual hard drives. I have most of music as files and still use USB to transfer it to my phone to listen to when I'm out and about. I'm sceptical of streaming and "The Cloud" as they rely on internet connection which can be tenuous.

I was just riffing on what Yith said. I think physical media is important and even actual hard drives. I have most of music as files and still use USB to transfer it to my phone to listen to when I'm out and about. I'm sceptical of streaming and "The Cloud" as they rely on internet connection which can be tenuous.
100% with you on that.

Wow, this was a bit unexpected. Network On Air, who have brought all manner of dusty oddments out of the archives, are turning their attention to this oft-discussed-on-here TV series. Pre-orders open, released late November.

https://networkonair.com/coming-soon/3482-fortean-tv-the-complete-series
Good news, although I've posted before that for me personally i remember finding the concept all a bit too much 'whistles and bells' with Fanthorpe repeatedly vanishing and reappearing elsewhere etc. It had a feeling for me of trying too hard. Have to say I prefer the reconstruction-style format of "Strange But True?' and Arthur C. Clarke's 'Mysterious Wotrld'

It may be worth noting that Lionel Fanthorpe started an official YouTube channel a few months ago.

Only twenty-four subscribers so far, one of which is me.

This is the only video on what I think was his old channel:

I think I sometimes forget how many people have gone over to digital copies of things. For my part, probably 95% of my viewing is streams but there's something reassuring about the physical copies even when they're effectively backups. This way I'm a) chuckign a few quid to Network to say thanks for making this available again b) I have a copy that is mine to own, rather than rented (although owned copies can still stop working of course!)

Good news, although I've posted before that for me personally i remember finding the concept all a bit too much 'whistles and bells' with Fanthorpe repeatedly vanishing and reappearing elsewhere etc. It had a feeling for me of trying too hard. Have to say I prefer the reconstruction-style format of "Strange But True?' and Arthur C. Clarke's 'Mysterious Wotrld'

I've got Network's releases of both Arthur C Clarke series as well, will be shelving this next to them. As to which one will hold up better, I'm looking forward to finding out. I recall Fanthorpe's presentation as genial and gently prodding fun at the subject, and that's what sticks in my mind rather than the chromakey gimmickry - I look forward to seeing how well it holds up.

I am unsure what 0 /pal means, our region is 2 so that 0/pal means region free?

Good to know, I never missed an episode when it first aired in the 90s

Only found out about this release a few days ago and got my copy delivered today! Just home from work and watching the first episode now and seeing Lionel Fanthorpe talking up a cinnamon bun that looks like Mother Teresa. :)

Back