• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

1670 Men in Black Account

feinman

Account Retired
Just so.

"Oyl being boyled out of the head, was Parmaeittee. This year also, the River Thames ebbed and flowed twice within an hour .• and in the moneth of November, the Heaven seemed to be all on a fire. Also on the four and twentieth of Februarj,\>eiog a great Frost, after a Flood which was great, there came down the River of Severn tosh a swarm of Flyesand Beetles, that they were judged to be above a hundred Quarters ; the Mills thereabout were dammed up with them for the space of four dayes,' and then were cleansed by digging them out with Shovels. In her two and twentieth year, a. strange apparition happened in Somersetshire, threescore personages all cloathed in black, ailirlong in distance from those that beheld them; and after their appearing, and a little while tarrying, they vanished away, but immediately another strange company, in like manner, colour and number appeared in the same place: and they encountredone another, and so vanished away. And the third time appeared that number again, all in bright armour, and encountred one another, and so vanished away. This was examined before Sir George Norton,znd sworn by four honejjmen that saw it to be true. In her three and twentieth year, in the beginning of April, about six a clock aster noon, happened an -Earthquake not far from Torkj which in some places strook the very stories out of Buildings,and made the Bells in Churches to jangle."

http://tinyurl.com/npja97f

And from 1679 (scroll down to highlighted section, Stewart's testimony) note anomalous fires too::
http://tinyurl.com/l4fys25

JamesWhitehead said:
Oooh! These are good researches, feinman! :)
Thanks, James! I've read that there is a lot of stuff in Google Books that hasn't seen the light of day before, really. Have to say the .ore if this stuff I run across, the more concerned I become... :(

Back