• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
An Alien Landed In Aurora, Texas...

(CBS 11 News) AURORA, TX Area 51 and Roswell, New Mexico have become a part of American folklore, but some believe an alien visitor was found in Texas first, in the city of Aurora, just up the road from Fort Worth.

UFO investigator Jim Marrs said, “A silver cigar-shaped object came down low to the ground in Aurora, north of Fort Worth, and struck a tower, wooden tower, derrick, windmill.”

Aurora’s Mayor Barbara Brammer continued, “The ship hit the tower for the well, exploded, burned.”

Marrs explained, “The remains of the pilot were recovered and he was not an inhabitant of this world.”

They believed the pilot was an alien.

Brammer said, “They took the remains of this down to the Aurora cemetery and buried it, gave it a Christian burial.”

Newspapers in both Dallas and Fort Worth reported the amazing event. In fact, an entire page of the April 19, 1897 edition of the Dallas Morning News is filled with reports of the great aerial wanderer. Either people all are joining in a prank, or something was in the skies over Texas and southern Oklahoma.

“Some people think that the guy in Dallas that wrote this article made this up to get some publicity about Aurora again, to get people coming back in,” said Brammer.

But Marrs retorts, “Every single one of the stories concerns the silver cigar-shaped object flying around the skies of Texas and Oklahoma in the spring of 1897, six years before the Wright brothers flew.”

The burial site became the focus of UFO researchers in the ‘70s. There was a tombstone, with a marking that appeared to be half of a saucer, or the cigar-shaped object.

Researchers ran metal detectors over the site where the ship was said to crash. Some say the grass hasn’t grown there since. In a nearby shed, there’s a well where wreckage, small bits of metal, was reportedly thrown.

But in 1973, the tombstone and the metal in the ground disappeared.

“We don’t know,” said Brammer. “It just came up missing. Somebody had removed it. We don’t know who.”

The owners of the well have cemented it shut. They, like other people in Aurora, are tired of the story, but it lives on nonetheless.

A state historical marker at the cemetery recounts the legend of the alien pilot who crashed, died and was buried.

“As far as me believing it, I really don’t know,” says Brammer. “I believe it was a legend and that’s as far as I can go.”

Marrs believes. “I think this should show any reasonable person that there are things, and they’re not us, and they’re flying around in the atmosphere.”

The legend is a mystery that lingers today.

cbs11tv.com/local/local_story_055212804.html
Link is dead. The MIA news story (quoted in full above) can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060302065533/http://cbs11tv.com/local/local_story_055212804.html

Last edited by a moderator:
From Lynn Picknett's Mammoth Book of UFOs
The story was resurrected in the January edition of Flying Saucer Review in an article co-authored by Donald Hanlon and Jacques Vallee entitled "Airships over Texas", together with a postscript to the effect that Allen Hynek had dispatched a friend to Aurora, Texas to check out the details.

Very quickly it transpired that the original newspaper story was riddled with errors: Judge Proctor had no windmill; T.J Weems was not an officer in the Signal Service but was the local blacksmith, and there was no evidence of unidentified graves in the cemetery.

...Then when in the late 60's, local historian Etta Pegues raked over the scareship story, interviewing some of the senior citizens who had been alive at the time, none of them could remember the famous airship. Ms Pegues wrote "Cliff Cates would have included it in his Pioneer History of Wise County which was published in 1907... Also if it had been true, Harold Bost would have included it in his Saga of Aurora. But neither man mentioned it because it had been forgotten as any other piece of fiction would have been forgotten."

She added that "It was all a hoax cooked up by Hayden and a bunch of men sitting around in the general store," and that the journalist was well known for his hoaxes, although some thought Judge Proctor himself was behind it - one old man saying that his father had remarked that the Judge had "outdone himself this time".

...In 1973 Bill Case , aviation writer for the Dallas Town Herald, interviewed some of the old timers of Aurora for a series of articles about the crash, including Bradley Oates, resident on the Proctor Farm since the second World War, who said readily that "I've heard this story all my life", adding that he had found a cache of metal under the windmill. An 86-yr-old claimed his father had seen the airship moments before it crashed, while Mar Evans, 96, said her parents refused to let her see the crash site at the time, but did tell her about it afterwards. Most spectacularly, 98-yr-old G.C. Curley claimed that two of his friends had seen the crash site and the "torn up body".

Case's article unleashed the floodgates. Within two months, Fred Kelly - who styled himself a "scientific treasure hunter" claimed to have found something of which he said "I've never seen any metal like that in 25 years of experience" - a scoop Case was not slow to splash under headlines such as "UFO Alloy Unknown back in 97". Having allegedly located the Ufonaut's grave with a metal detector - and declared it bore "a unique handmade headstone" - certain Ufologists sought a court order to have the body exhumed.

...Matters were taken out of their hands by an unknown grave robber who broke open the alleged tomb of the alien in the Aurora cemetery. While it is still possible that there was a lone alien airman lying in the tomb, photos of the headstone showed nothing more unusual than bad carvings and a crack, and when the International UFO Bureau tracked down Case's witnesses, the story fell apart. It transpired that they either said nothing of the sort (as reported by Case) or were never even interviewed in the first place.

Someone trying to bump start their tourist industry?

I saw a 1 or 2 hour special on this at discovery channel I believe. Seemed to all add up just fine. One old man who has lived in aurora his entire life used to drink water out of the well that some of the crash debress was thrown into. He is known to have the most deformed body by radiation than anyone on earth, (from what was said in the tv episode). The current owners of the property wont let anyone go into the well, so thats where the story hangs. We can never find out for sure unless we are able to examine the debrees in the well (which it would be illegal to obtain) otherwise locate and dig the grave of the ET pilot in the graveyard (also illegal). We may never know for sure.

Well, neither Jerome Clark nor Kevin Randle seem to think it "adds up just fine ".

The Aurora airship crash never happened, at least in this reality (I can't speak for parallel dimensions). It's wise to keep in mind the history of
spaceship-crash yarns in the 19th Century. The one at Aurora was hardly the first. These sorts of tall tales go back to at least the 1860s.

I investigated a story published in an 1884 Nebraska newspaper of a crash said to have occurred in early June of that year and been witnessed by a band of cowboys. It turned out to be a newspaper correspondent's idea of a joke. At least 10 crash stories besides Aurora's appeared in the American press during the 1896-97 airship scare. They are best seen in the context of the widespread hoaxing of the period.

The Aurora yarn first appeared in the Dallas Morning News on April 19. Read in context, it's clear that it was not meant to be taken seriously. The News was playing airship stories for laughs. The day before, it printed an account of an airship which resembled a "Chinese flying dragon ... a monster breathing red fire through its nostrils." The same issue told of a sighting wherein an "eye witness" observed "three men in the ship ... singing 'Nearer My God to Thee' and ... distributing temperance tracts." Another story recounted a sighting of an airship run by a woman running something like a sewing machine.

If the News thought for one moment that an alien from outer space lay in a grave within easy traveling distance, it would have dispatched its best reporter to the scene and then published any number of follow-up accounts, and we would all know for a fact -- because we'd have the immediately exhumed body -- that a Martian (or his equivalent) met his end one north-Texas spring morning in 1897. Alas, it never happened.

Jerry Clark
source

graylien said:
Well, neither Jerome Clark nor Kevin Randle seem to think it "adds up just fine ".

I'm speaking in general terms. Usually with fortean events having many witnesses, people's storys tend to be vastly different. Here with Aurora, everyone tends to agree that there was "something" in the sky that day which crashed and the body was found and buried and the wreckage was put into the well. Now, as far as who was where at what time of the day and who reported what, of course those details won't add up. They never do.

So you don't think it a bit odd that the townspeople simply buried a Martian in the local cemetary, then forgot all about it? It's hardly as if Martians fall from the sky every day.

The "grave site" was featured on World's Weirdest UFO Stories with the exact lcoation being shown on camera :shock:

Now if I remember correctly the suggestion was hat it had been removed - I can't see the US governemnt leaving a genuine alien buried in an unmarked grave and a UFO down a well (big well? tiny UFO?) and if they had ignored it then someone would have been doing a bit of late night digging.

I think its a tall tale, but I read in one of Vallees books (cant remember which one) that the Mcdonnell aircraft co got hold of an alleged piece of debris and were doing tests...

Which in itself proves nothing

Buried Aliens?

You’ve probably heard of the alleged spaceship crash from 1947 that took place in the desert of New Mexico. Known as “The Roswell Incident” this is arguably the most famous case in UFO history. Yet here in Texas, there exists an alleged spaceship crash – complete with an alien body – which took place 50 years earlier! So imagine how excited I was to find out that I live a hop, skip and jump from “the Roswell of Texas.”

One thing that makes this bizarre incident so fascinating is that the space alien’s body was buried by the townspeople. You can check it out for yourself by visiting the historic country graveyard in Aurora, Texas. (The city of Aurora is even erecting a Sculpture of the 1897 UFO Crash to commemorate this bizarre legend!)

02-Aurora-alien-grave-tui-snider.jpg

Continued with photos:
http://tuisnider.com/2017/01/01/new-headstone-1897-aurora-texas-alien-grave/

Last edited by a moderator:
Tall tale, filler in a newspaper. Well trodden "hoax" that doggedly continues to provide filler for various publications. Amazingly successful load of crap.

Blaze have just shown Sat 21st Oct Ancient Aliens, Aliens and the Old West
that as quite a bit about the Aurora incident maybe on catch up.

Blaze have just shown Sat 21st Oct Ancient Aliens, Aliens and the Old West
that as quite a bit about the Aurora incident maybe on catch up.

Blaze? Is that a television channel.

I thought it was Glenn Beck's website.

63 or 80 on free view if in the UK

There seems to be no clear consensus on whether or not a grave marker was installed at the time of the alleged burial, how many times an alleged grave marker turned up during the last 50 years, and when such a marker was verified as being present in or around the cemetery.

Unfortunately the pilot was also killed in the collision, but locals were able to drag what was described as a “petite” and “Martian” body from the wreckage. The body was supposedly buried under a tree branch in the Aurora cemetery, observing good Christian rites.

As the story goes, the locals placed a headstone on the spot with a crude etching of the alien’s ship on it, although no evidence of this (hoax or no) exists. However a more modern version of this apocryphal gravestone did eventually appear, placed under a tree in the spot the body was supposedly buried. UFO enthusiasts even began petitioning the cemetery to exhume the spot. So far the request has been denied.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/1800-s-alien-gravesite

Aurora Cemetery may contain the most important grave in the world, or it may simply be that historical markers in Texas are more open-minded than those in other states. Whatever the reason, the official plaque outside of this graveyard does mention that it might contain the grave of a pilot of a "spaceship" that crashed nearby on April 17, 1897.

Newspaper accounts at the time reported that the alien craft hit a windmill and was torn to pieces, along with its occupant. ... In 1972 scientists wanted to dig up the grave; they were blocked by the cemetery association because exhumations can only be authorized by next of kin. ...

Everyone agrees that the tombstone, if there ever was one, is gone now, and so there's nothing to see here except the plaque ... In 2010 an ad hoc "tombstone" with a UFO scratched into it mysteriously appeared in the cemetery, but it vanished just as mysteriously in 2012.
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/13501

Funnily enough, the Aurora incident was on a UFO program this morning.

There seems to be no clear consensus on whether or not a grave marker was installed at the time of the alleged burial, how many times an alleged grave marker turned up during the last 50 years, and when such a marker was verified as being present in or around the cemetery.

I suppose GPR hasn't reached the point where we can differentiate between a human and a, erm.... big-headed human?

I suppose GPR hasn't reached the point where we can differentiate between a human and a, erm.... big-headed human?
It's not that precise.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/1800-s-alien-gravesite

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/13501
Such an interesting case, and how odd that NO ONE took a photo of the crashed 'air ship' or even the 'alien body'?? They had cameras in 1897, after all.
And is there a photo of the grave marker itself?
Odd also that the owner of the well won't allow a search of it for debris, and even the cemetery won't allow a search for any alien body.
Does that mean it was all a hoax?
And what about the witnesses to the crash that MUFON found?

https://mufon.com/2021/05/14/aurora-tx-crash-1897/

A History Channel UFO program showed conflicting opinions and the cemetery people will not allow any digging.

It is claimed that the past local Judge did it for a practical joke and publicity, but an older citizen said the UFO was all true.

Supposedly the alien grave marker was removed to make it an unmarked grave.

MUFON ruled it inconclusive.

I guess it made Aurora, TX famous ?

Personally, I would tend to believe eyewitnesses - when I saw a UFO back in 1997 with 3 other women, everyone laughed at us or didn't believe us when we tried to tell them what's flying around up there, so I know how they feel.
And there were apparently several people who saw this occur, and Proctor did have a windmill in that location.
Would have been great with some photos! Guess not many people back in those days had cameras handy.

Would have been great with some photos! Guess not many people back in those days had cameras handy.

Eastman didn't release the first mass market film (roll) and camera (the original 'Kodak') until 1888. You had to send the whole camera off to have the film developed. The personal photography boom wouldn't really get started until the introduction of the less expensive 'Brownie' model in 1900.

For years I have wondered if these things are simply time machines coming back from the future -
After all, if a time machine is invented at any point in the future, it would be able to travel back to any time in the past.

Eastman didn't release the first mass market film (roll) and camera (the original 'Kodak') until 1888. You had to send the whole camera off to have the film developed. The personal photography boom wouldn't really get started until the introduction of the less expensive 'Brownie' model in 1900.
I wasn't aware of that, Thank You!
Someone showed me a Brownie camera (I believe it was from the 1960's), what a performance to take a photo, all that film forwarding and focusing, good grief! LOLOL

Back