• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

19th Century Alchemy

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
One of those things which is supposed not to exist, unless we count the mad upsurge in Paris at the end of the century which so dismayed Blavatsky and captivated Strindberg, who became a practicing alchemist. Let's leave Paris on one side for now . . .

Episode One: Postbellum Remarks of a Rosicrucian Nature

We start with Hitchcock! But not the portly film director.

I meanGeneral Ethan A. Hitchcock, American Civil War career officer, 1798 - 1870:

Early Life, Check.
Civil War, Check.
Postbellum Life, Check.
Music Library, Well OK
Contributions to Alchemy Studies and Jungian Psychology, Eh?

Well here it is, his 1857 opus:

Remarks upon alchemy and the alchemists: indicating a method of discovering the true nature of hermetic philosophy: and showing that the search after the philosopher's stone had not for its object the discovery of an agent for the transmutation of metals: being also an attempt to rescue from undeserved opprobrium the reputation of a class of extraordinary thinkers in past ages (1857)

Next Episode: A Suggestive Book Gets Withdrawn. :hah:

edit: incorrect link display, working now?

Mary Anne Atwood, née South, 1817 - 1910 was the author of A Suggestive Inquiry Into the Hermetic Mystery which was no sooner printed than it was suppressed by her own father in 1850.

Oddly, she had written it at his suggestion, drawing on his extensive library of old books and manuscripts. In a strange collaboration, she was to write the theoretical study of Alchemy, while he concentrated on a Hermetick Poem. Reading her volume after publication, Thomas South had a spasm of regret, bought up as many copies as he could find and burned them, together with the manuscript of his own unfinished epic. Evidently, she had said too much.

The poem is lost, apart from twelve lines that Mary included in her book. Fortunately a few copies of that survived the bonfire and it was reprinted in 1918.

It has found its way onto the Internet and can be read in a decent HTML file here:

New Link for Atwood

edit: title is Mystery not Mysteries as originally posted

edit 2: 2:30 pm. Alternative source substituted in response to PM's concerns about original download provider. :)

Come to think of it, I think my copy was from here:

New Link for Atwood

Thanks for flagging that up. It seems to be a big download site and may have dubious stuff or maybe it is flagged up for copyright reasons. Anyway the Atwood Inquiry in safely in the Public Domain. :)

Pearls of great price for no price at all?

Hardback copies of the works of Arthur Edward Waite, 1857 - 1942 tend to carry fancy price-tags in the catalogues of antiquarian booksellers - such as are left.

Or they can be had in digital form gratis on Archive.
Waite's Works

Who can resist The Triumphal Chariot of Antimony? from Basil Valentine.
But only 49 people wordwide have bothered to look at it!

Devil Worship in France or the Question of Lucifer has had only 26 downloads so far.

I shall certainly be peering into the Secret Church of the Holy Grail. That has some 1,500 seekers at the moment. And The Real History of the Rosicrucians just a few less.

The Secret Tradition in Freemasonry has two thousand readers for the two volumes.

Much less popular seems to be the Lives of the Alchemystic Philosophers, which Waite derived from a pre-Victorian work of Francis (The Magus) Barrett. 27 readers.

Some of Waite's works are Edwardian rather than strictly Victorian volumes but the next gripping episode of this series will take us into territory previously unexplored, yet hidden in plain sight, as it were. :shock:

Delvers into the esoteric may already have discovered the papers of Dr. Andrew Prescott formerly head of the Department of Masonic Studies at Sheffield University. That Department appears to have bitten the dust but some of its resources remain online on the University site and elsewhere.

Today's slightly pre-Victorian author is Yorkshireman and esoteric Freemason Godfrey Higgins, 1773 - 1833. His Anacalypsis, published just before his death in 1833 is remarkable for its anticipation of the etymological speculations we associate with the Max Müller school.

I cannot find an etext version of this volume online but Prescott's essay Hereraises a corner of the veil which shrouds this very obscure volume.

"In a second edition of The Celtic Druids, Higgins announced that he was preparing a work which would demonstrate that ‘all the ancient mythologies of the world, however varied and corrupted in recent times, were originally ONE and that one founded on principles sublime, beautiful and true’. This was Higgins’s magnum opus, Anacalypsis, An Attempt to Draw Aside the Veil of the Saitic Isis; or, an Inquiry into the Origin of Languages, Nations, and Religions. Anacalypsis is a monumental work, and has been described as the first large-scale attempt at a synthesis of religion and science. Advance copies of the first volume of Anacalypsis were produced only seven weeks before Higgins’s death in 1833, and it is one of these rare advance copies that the Library and Museum of Freemasonry has acquired. The second volume was edited from Higgins’s papers after his death by his publisher, the Hackney printer, George Smallfield."

Next Episode: The subterranean adventure of two ladies.

A few months have passed since the subterranean adventures of two ladies were promised. I will soon upload a corrected version of Dalton's poem onto my own site, since all available versions are corrupt.

While you are awaiting that major event, it is time to unveil some more esoterica of the Victorian kind.

This massive and impressive site will introduce you to the world of a writer we do not study in school, the Chartist, poet and polymath Gerald Massey:

The Legacy of Gerald Massey

And, when you have finished with that - in about twenty years time? - here is a little sorbet that Gutenberg have put up this year:

Francis Douce's 1833 study of The Dance of Death with well-reproduced wood-cuts

:)

Long promised, I have now uploaded the text of John Dalton's Epistle to Two Ladies on their return to the surface after visiting the mines beneath Whitehaven.

It is not nineteenth century, dating from 1755 and it's not really alchemical but if you enjoy the sort of work that Humphrey Jennings collected in his Pandemonium - ie. works which explore the impact of the industrial revolution on the imagination, then this curious poem has a nice sense of gothic horror as it gazes in awe on a new kind of world.

Epistle to Two Ladies

8)

I see that the Anacalypsis of Higgins, referred to above, is available on a site Here. It is a Tripod Site so there may be pop-ups!

I'm not clear if that is the complete text - it looks like extensive excerpts. But it is more than I could find previously. :)

edit: "it not really alchemical" spotted and corrected.

Thank you, Zakariya, and since this little thread has a small but select readership,
I can offer A First Publication event today!

Francis Douce was an antiquarian who lived from 1757 to 1834. He seems to have enjoyed sufficient income to pursue his interests in curios without any pressing need to publish. His dissertation on the Dance of Death appeared in 1833 and a link to a digital version of that handsome volume is in a previous post on this thread.

Douce is credited with a sardonic sense of humour, bequeathing his unpublished papers to the British Museum on condition they were not examined until the 1st January, 1900, some 66 years after his death. It was reported that when this material was examined, it proved to be essentially waste-paper with an insulting note from Douce on top. See The Museum of Hoaxes. for more detail. Others have argued that the story is an exaggeration and that Douce's bequest was misunderstood as rubbish, because of its fragmentary or popular nature. The Bodleian library received the bulk of his collection, comprising some 19,000 printed volumes. In the attention he showed to chap-books, children's books and broadsheet ballads, Douce was ahead of his time. The library's dry description of "facetious tales and 'contes galantes'" only lightly disguises the antiquarian's interest in erotica.

My own curiosity about Douce came about in connection with the investigation into the legends surrounding the famous talismanic glass, the Luck of Edenhall. Dr Glyn Davies of the Victoria & Albert Museum has recently revealed that the unpublished Douce papers contain an account of the antiquarian's examination of an illustration of the famous glass by roving "horseback antiquary" Thomas Machell, which Douce dated as early as 1666. Sadly, the drawing - which Douce thought very bad - has disappeared but his testimony extends the reputation of the glass to a much earlier period than the quaint Northern Antiquities which seemed to be everywhere, especially post-Culloden.

I was already aware of the part played by Douce in his retelling of the Edenhall legend in the form of a poem now framed on the wall of Saint Cuthbert's church but I neglected to transcribe it, when I visited the church, mistakenly believing it to be published and well-known. Fortunately, a single photograph of that manuscript had appeared on the Web. My first attempt at turning that into a coherent text was only partly successful; some water-damage had rendered the page hard to decipher and the photograph was not of very high resolution. However, I have this week taken another look at the image, which can be found here, on a site curated by Martin & Jean Norgate. It appears to be under the aegis of the Geography Department at Portsmouth University.

I believe the following readings are a big improvement on the version(s) published previously on my site. "Safe" makes better sense than "still" in line four. The word I had long struggled over in line eight is neither "wondrous" nor "sumptuous" but, I am now sure, "handsome!"

In a sense, the whole poem is complementary to Master Dobson but that prevented me seeing that Douce experienced "difficulty" with him, a word I could never fathom. What I had taken to be possibly "holding" is almost certainly "exhibiting." It now reads, "Master John Dobson was the Steward at Edenhall at that time amd made some difficulty in exhibiting the Luck to Mr Douce."

The poem therefore becomes an ironic tribute to the reluctant Dobson, who took such pains to protect the glass, seeing him as one corner of a protective trinity with the fairies of the well and Saint Cuthbert, patron Saint of the church, at the others. Taken together with the fact that the authorship of the famous 1791 article in The Gentleman's Magazine has been set right, after years of being attributed to William Musgrave, we can begin to see that the resident Dobsons play a larger part in the dissemination of the legend than the absentee Musgraves at this crucial period.

A line of writing at the bottom of the framed poem might reveal the maker and date of the transcription. I was inclined to see it as a facsimile, at least, of what Douce himself wrote, since his name appears in the manner of a signature; however, the comment beneath the poem seems just - if not more - likely to have been written subsequently.

Alternative readings are still welcomed but I think the following represents the first proper publication anywhere of this little poem as a text. It has waited 227 years:

Lines written by
Francis Douce in 1785

Hail to thee, Luck of Edenhall!
May'st thou never break or fall.
May old Dobson's fostering care
Safe preserve thee, Goblet rare!
Holy Cuthbert hear my prayer!

Ye too, fairies of the Well,
Who, if legend right did tell,
Suffer not your handsome cup
From unguarded hands to drop,
But if it totters, hold it up!
Holy Cuthbert hear my prayer
The Luck of Eden be thy care.

Master John Dobson was the
Steward at Edenhall at that
time and made some difficulty
in exhibiting the Luck to
Mr Douce.

8)

edit: One or two literals corrected.

To return to the vexed and vexing subject of Alchemy, which the thread promises . . .

Canadian-born occultist Manly Palmer Hall, 1901 - 1990, amassed a large collection of alchemical manuscripts in connection with his researches into Secret Teachings. They have landed up in the Getty Research Institute. If that sounds out-of-reach, fear not! for they have been digitized and are available for your instruction, edification and delight on archive.org:

Digital Editions of Multi-Volume Sets

There are texts among them which I do not recall seeing elsewhere, though as is usual in this field, we should understand the attributions as honorary. Some are in English - For instance this collection of very curious tracts

These are volumes that few have the means to acquire and which once were guarded from profane eyes. Ironically, now they are in plain sight, they may be more hidden to the world than ever.

There is something quite special about seeing these texts in manuscript form and estimating the hours they took to copy. Even through the medium of the djvu viewer, a lot of the magic leaps off the page . . . :)

Back