• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

3 toed mystery apes?

A

Anonymous

In his "Alien Zoo" column in FT169 Karl Shuker mentions a mysterious cryptid ape called the "Dodu" in (cant remember which part of) Africa... supposedly it kills humans and gorillas (among other large mammals I guess), but rather than eating their flesh immediately, it waits until the carcass is rotten and eats the maggot infested rotten meat. That in itself sounds pretty weird (although all sorts of bizarre feeding habits have been wrongly ascribed to little known creatures), but it also apparently has only 3 toes on each foot, and 3 fingers on each hand... anyone else ever heard of that?

He also mentions in passing that some Bigfoot reports have mentioned 3-toed footprints - are there any records of this? I seem to recall a photo of a "Yeti" footprint in the snow, with a pickaxe next to it, which only had either 3 or 4 toes... but that one might have been the one that was proved to be fake...

Anyway, if a 3 toed, primate-like creature with such strange eating habits actually existed, what could it be?

Yep, there is at least one set of 3-toed footprints associated with a Bigfoot sighting in the US, IIRC. I will try to track it down amongst all my stuff!

There are several instances of thee toed tracks in the U.S.They're most usually associated with midwestern or southern sightings.I'll have to check,but I think some orang-pendek tracks have been found that were three or four toed.

Mighty_Emperor said:
The thing is that wherever you have large hairy hominids you get a variable number of toes turning up in the tracks - 3, 4, 5 and 6. I'm sure it came up in the Yowie article.

Perhaps they start out with six toes on each foot and lose a few over the course of their lives. Kind of like the mysterious one-legged pigeons you occasionally see.

Loren Coleman (I think!) has written about the various three toed tracks found in the US. And didn't FT have a column in the Forum section about 3 Toes in the last few years?

Back