• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Bad Case Of The Runs In Corfu

A

Anonymous

Hello.

I'm new here, and rather than live vicariously through your bizarrer experiences, I thought I'd venture something fairly odd that happened to me. Now, mostly I live the earth-side of the doors of perception, and apart from this I have had a distinctly unfortean existence. I think that even this could quite easily be explained by the more scientifically literate amongst you.

I was staying with my girlfriend in southern Corfu in July 2002, in a rather unremarkable but quiet resort called St George. Money was tight and this was a last-minute, bargain-break, low-interest sort of holiday which guaranteed much-needed exposure to UV. We were staying in a small, family-run hotel with four floors. Each floor had four rooms, each with a balcony that ran around two sides.

The holiday had been quiet, except for the empty club opposite that banged out Balearic cheese from its overendowed soundsystem every morning 'til 3. So, we were sleep-deprived but relatively happy.

One morning, half way through the holiday, I awoke in the early morning. It was around seven, and light. My girlfriend had woken up too, as neither of us could sleep in for some reason - despite being kept awake until 3 as usual. There was no sound from outside except perhaps a few early morning crickets.

Suddenly, we heard loud, vigorous footfall coming from our balcony: starting from our left, and running right past our slightly ajar screen-doors, to the far right. It was the sound of fast running: much quicker than a man, and with smaller steps - but too heavy for a primate (not that there are any native to Corfu) and far too fast for a child.

We were taken aback, puzzled but not scared. I suggested that it must be a child, perhaps on the balcony above. We both knew this didn't wash as the sound, most definitely, was coming from our balcony. Just as I finished rationalising the running began again, loud and fast from the balcony. I leapt out of bed and ran to the screen door, and as i got nearer the sound became louder. I tore the door open just as the sound was at its loudest but nothing was there. Just beach towels, and the table and chairs as we'd left it the previous night.

This would be, I suppose, a fairly mundane happening if it wasn't for the fact that it happened the next two mornings, around the same time as we woke unnaturally early. And with each occurrence it became more sinister, and seemed more teasing and capricous - a wild, abandoned noise that often careered from one end of the balcony and back again. It was a running noise in a distinct 'human' style: definitely bipedal and childlike but just far too quick, as I've said.

I work as a sound designer amongst other things and I'd like to think my ears were fairly good, directionally speaking. My girlfriend wouldn't claim that but could equally vouchsafe that it occurred on our balcony. On all occassions I ran as fast as possible to open the door and catch whatever it was in its tracks - to be greeted by complete silence and solitude. The last morning the 'running' occurred was the day we were due to fly home.

As far as I know, Corfu doesn't have particularly exotic fauna. Any ideas on our running companion?

well:

I've heard very similar stories of a ghost local to me from two different people; however in one of them, the ghost, although apparently walking, was going at about running speed. Perhaps if these reports and yours were interpreted as recordings (because both of mine were almost exactly the same), and the playback of the recording was speeded up for some reason, it could "explain" this.
A long shot I know, but i like speculating :p

a speeded-up recording of someone walking would not sound like someone running - the pitch of the footsteps would be altered, so it would probably sound quite strange.

Just a thought from personal experience. Are there any sprinklers around the proximity of the hotel?

I have experienced it myself, in Spain, being woke up at the same time every morning by a sprinker chugging away. If I werent to know it was there, it sounded very much like the patter of a childs feet when running.

Like I said, just a thought.

RS

One of those towels flapping against the balcony doors in the wind perhaps?

a speeded-up recording of someone walking would not sound like someone running - the pitch of the footsteps would be altered, so it would probably sound quite strange.
Err..
Not if you sample the sound with keyboard and midi, Fluffle.
But I don't think that's the explanation.

brian ellwood said:
Err..
Not if you sample the sound with keyboard and midi, Fluffle.
But I don't think that's the explanation.
Or if it was processed (using fast fourier transforms probably, as I recall from University talk of speech synthesizers and vocoders) to increase the speed but retain the pitch. Of course, nothing ever sounds right when you subject it to that. But either way I wouldn't think it likely ;)

OK. I think we can forget the sampler/sped-up recording option. You forget, my dears, that I work in sound design and music and I am sure what I heard did not involve a sampler being routed to a speaker which itself was being dragged along in a shopping trolley on the balcony. ;)

Second, it wasn't towels. I flicked enough towels at bare behinds to know this to be the case. (joke)

Third: not sprinklers. I have stayed in places where sprinklers have been outside, and this was definitely not the same sound. This was, most definitely, moving from left to right, right by the window, with the footfall reverberating the room as it would if someone was there.

PS: I haven't researched whether Corfu had a primate population. Maybe so - I'd sort of assumed not, being that it was a Greek island and not in the Indian Ocean.

Large birds?

Mystic Badger said:
PS: I haven't researched whether Corfu had a primate population. Maybe so - I'd sort of assumed not, being that it was a Greek island and not in the Indian Ocean.

The only primates on Corfu are usually in Kavos and called Dave!

My sister lives not far from St George, I'll ask her if there's any local folk law to the area.

(And last week it reached 136 degrees!)

Tyger Lily said:
The only primates on Corfu are usually in Kavos and called Dave!

My sister lives not far from St George, I'll ask her if there's any local folk law to the area.

(And last week it reached 136 degrees!)

That's kind. Would be intrigued to find out.

Good point about Kavos. St George's proximity to the modern world's nearest facsimile of Hell may well be the root of occult happenings. Fort could never have imagined such apocalyptic sights as those of Kavos on a Friday night.

I've been to Kavos once (but Corfu about 5 times) and the day I went was Sept 11th 2001. It was like a ghost town. Virtually silent and no one on the streets. The ppubs were jammed but no one was drinking. Very very fortean indeed.

Spooky.

Let me know if any tales of running entities crop up when you talk to your sister. I would die of shame if I had to concede it was a lawn sprinkler.

Mystic Badger said:
OK. I think we can forget the sampler/sped-up recording option. You forget, my dears, that I work in sound design and music and I am sure what I heard did not involve a sampler being routed to a speaker which itself was being dragged along in a shopping trolley on the balcony. ;)
I wasn't suggesting a mechanical/human recording, but rather a "stone tape" type thing.

Mystic Badger said:
Spooky.

Let me know if any tales of running entities crop up when you talk to your sister. I would die of shame if I had to concede it was a lawn sprinkler.

It cant be a lawn sprinkler surely, I came up with the idea.

realspooky said:
It cant be a lawn sprinkler surely, I came up with the idea.

It was a joke. Although your original comment did stop me in my tracks a bit. Think we're not going to get to the bottom of this...

What kind of plumbing did they have? Maybe somebody took a shower at the same time each morning and the pipes were hammering?
:confused:

"One of those towels flapping against the balcony doors in the wind perhaps?"

That is exactly what I was thinking. How do you really know it wasn't towels?

RainyOcean said:
"One of those towels flapping against the balcony doors in the wind perhaps?"

That is exactly what I was thinking. How do you really know it wasn't towels?

Because it really wasn't. The sound of towels flapping and the sound of running, heavy feet moving in the stereoscopic field 180 degrees is quite different. Were the towels moving?

Curious said:
What kind of plumbing did they have? Maybe somebody took a shower at the same time each morning and the pipes were hammering?
:confused:

Again, no. It really wasn't an ambiguous sound like that. The ears aren't quite so easily fooled. It also wouldn't explain the directional movement of the sound and why it came from the balcony rather than the walls.

Mystic Badger said:
Again, no. It really wasn't an ambiguous sound like that. The ears aren't quite so easily fooled. It also wouldn't explain the directional movement of the sound and why it came from the balcony rather than the walls.

you did mention being deprived of sleep. Sleep deprivation can play all manner of tricks on the mind I would think

Back