• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A briff history of Magic(k) for a story...

A

Anonymous

I'm writing a story/book, I have been working on it for quite a few months now. I've not started the narrative, I've just been developing a complex backstory, and roughing out the plot of the story.

The main subject of the story is religion, and a theocracy that has control of basically all of civilization. Its a sci-fi novel, set in the 33rd century or so. The religion in question started as a small cult, in the mid 20th century. Over time it grew, and after a disaster it gained tremendous popularity and went on to become the premiere religion of the galaxy.

Of course, its all made up. I am atheist, and this story is going to reflect my worldview. But I find religion fascinating. And I want to give the fake religion a very realistic basis, so I am seeking infromation on the occult. I know very little about it. I'm wondering about stuff like the Golden Dawn, the Knights Templar, 20th century pagan/wiccan beliefs and their origins... the religion won't neccesarily be much like these, but I want to get a picture of the history of esoterica, so this made-up religion will have a ring of authenticity to it. I want it to sound like something that could have popped up in the 20th century, stayed underground for centuries, and then errupted into the mainstream (due to a new branch of it)

So, any good websites? Anything I need to know? Any ideas? Don't worry, my book isn't going to be a slam at any of these ideas, if anything it will be very critical of organized, fundamentalist religion, but its really just a sci-fi story with anthropologists and warlords.

I'd suggest that there are two good books on this subject that you should try to get your hands on:

The Occult by Colin Wilson
The Triumph of the Moon - A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft by Ronald Hutton

There are various threads within this forum that may also help.

I'd second "The Occult" by Colin Wilson - it's a very good overview of the subject, and an easy, page-turning read.

I'd also suggest you read "Holy Blood and The Holy Grail", which is a great esoteric thriller despite being, IMHO, total bunk.

For a good example of occult and esoteric themes written into fiction, you might want to look at Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea's "Illuminatus" trilogy. It's very funny and includes lots of genuine info on historical occult conspiracy theory, if you can sort out the fact from the wind-ups (which I've certainly never managed to do).

Also - for info on 20th century magick in practice, David Conway's "Magic: An Occult Primer" will probably give you what you need if you intend on writing about the nuts and bolts of ritual.

"Of course, its all made up" Whew, I was really worried for a minute there.

I don't see that there is really any reason to do a lot of research. people will believe anything, from David Koresh being the Messiah to aliens coming from the stars to pick up the worthy.

Make up whatever you like.

"if anything it will be very critical of organized, fundamentalist religion,"

With this in mind, you probably want to make your religion...oh, I don't know... say, an organized fundamentalist religion.

"its really just a sci-fi story with anthropologists and warlords."

And theocrats too, right? Can't have an evil theocracy running the world without theocrats.

I know I'll hate myself for asking, but why anthropologists? GHoing for the scientest-hero in the Verne traditon?

For those who have used the terms "esoteric" and "esoterica" - does it mean something different to you than it does to me?

To me, desmodromic is an esoteric term, which may be used to refer to the esoterica which is the system and manner of operation of the valve train in certain Italian motorcycles.

Likewise "go up" is an esoteric term from the theater. (Nothing to do with curtain).

How about "duces tecum" or "ad testifandum" or "c.t.a." what esoterica are they? The law.

IOW, esoteric refers to something which is not common knowledge, but is in fact common among a definable set.

Back