• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A change in UFO shape over the past few decades

cardinaluk

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Are there any posts/pages exploring why UFO sightings have changed from the classic saucers to glowing or metallic spheres or to rods? It seems to me that the trend of UFO shapes described from witness accounts HAVE changed since the 80s.

Do you think it is a result of subtle changes in the culture of UFO related media - (magazines, Hollywood) or an actual progression or change of technology by our space visitors?

Either way I prefer spheres.

It's probably a result of video/digital imaging technology. Rods seem to be artefacts. As for spheres, maybe it's the same as the 'diamond' UFOs that used to be out there - which turned out to be an artefact of video irises of the time (80s/90s).

Those flying Chinese lantern thingies are probably mainly responsible for the outbreak of glowing spheres over the last few years. Incidentally, for those who haven't come across it before, UFOPOP is a fascinating (and time draining) repository of UFO depictions in popular culture:

http://ufopop.org/

I especially miss the ones that cunningly resembled horrible seventies lampshades. :p

The thing about lights is that they naturally distort into spheres. Some of this is atmospheric and some of this is down to the details of the receptor. Distant enough lights all look spherical. With astigmatism, or in high-humidity conditions, or with a not-particularly-acute artificial receptor like most phone cameras, the distance doesn't have to be very far. All streetlights appear globular to me, unless I squint, even with my glasses on.

If UFOs are spaceships, they may appear to be different because of the following possible reasons:

(a) Different races;
(b) Different designs/innovations;
(c) Different brands;
(d) Different designs for different purposes;
(e) Any other reasons you can think of.

Mythopoeika said:
If UFOs are spaceships, they may appear to be different because of the following possible reasons:

(a) Different races;
(b) Different designs/innovations;
(c) Different brands;
(d) Different designs for different purposes;
(e) Any other reasons you can think of.
Saucers are so last year dahling, metallic spheres are all the fashion on Omicron Persei 8 this year. :lol:

Yes I miss saucers, but then my tastes are always a bit retro.

I thought they changed to triangular in the late 90's - or was that in another universe? :shock:

Airship sightings may be no more but people still report cigar-shaped UFOs, usually very large slow and lowdown.
Rectangles are new : originally flat but now 3-dimensional sightings are reported. Also usually seen flying low and slow, perhaps they really are aiorships of some sort - I'm thinking black projects with no more obvious military prurpose than keeping the rain off the Pentagon's puttting greens here.

oldrover said:
Triangles were around in the mid eighties.

Ah right.

Have to admit I became much less interested in UFOs post my reading of Mothman.

I have 2 close ups, one seems old fashioned the other modern.
The modern was a really big, slow triangle sneaking across the sky. I think it could be human.
The silly was a blimp like silver thing. Was crazy but watched it for a while and it just hovered there like a 50s reject. Was over the house and didnt make sense.

Why the evolution of shape? who knows but black triangles scream terran.

Rationalists will offer explanations, those will be a comfort to them not you.

AMPHIARAUS said:
I have 2 close ups, one seems old fashioned the other modern.
The modern was a really big, slow triangle sneaking across the sky. I think it could be human.
The silly was a blimp like silver thing. Was crazy but watched it for a while and it just hovered there like a 50s reject. Was over the house and didnt make sense.

Why the evolution of shape? who knows but black triangles scream terran.

Rationalists will offer explanations, those will be a comfort to them not you.
Please post your photos.

I filnd that the in-shape at the moment is "morphing blob". Some just look like escaped bin bags but others have actual lights within.
Another reason for changing UFOs could be that they are man [military] made and they are getting better.

It could be ones's manned (as it were) scouts, others are autonomous scouts, others could be remote controlled scouts, then floating lab vessels etc

If you had asked me to draw a UFO in 2008, it would have been a saucer with a dome on top and flashing lights around the edge. What I believe I saw in 2008 was a small? metallic silver sphere, travelling at unbelievable speed and changing direction in a blink. 8.30am in daylight, close to the sea.

So, yes, the designs are changing! ;) I am a woman, but have my nerdy moments. I enjoyed the youtube account of the sphere that drew water up in Australia. Just sounded so believable!

http://youtu.be/UTRSxzMgqs4

In Saucer Smear there was also an article about UFO's getting bigger or smaller over time.

Back