• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A couple of pictures

First pic looks like the Millennium Falcon.

Remarkably clear for a phone pic through a pair of binoculars.

What was the object doing? Hovering? Darting about? Did it remain for long or leave on a straight path? What kind of speed?

A fiddle with the levels in PhotoShop throw up a few interesting things.

One image has a very clear rectangular margin that shows up beneath the object and down the right hand side. In the bottom right corner is an area of glow that strangely has glowed edges within the pic but a very angular corner in the area that would fall outside the 'rectangle' altering the levels makes this spot show up brighter or darker, but the area outside the 'rectangle' does not change. Draw your own conclusion.

The other shows several spots and blurry edges around the right hand end of the object. Again these show up better when you fiddle with the levels.

The one that to me looked most Photoshopped actually did not seem to offer any tell tale signs when scrutinized.

5815132998_e8faee955a.jpg

Looks like a plane viewed head-on.

rushfan62 said:
davidplankton said:
Yup. It's a Plane.
You seem very sure. An explanation or explaining away? I can assure you it is not a plane.

Presumaby you already know what it is, based on the (not now) comment and have posted here to demonstrate how easily something mundane can be mistaken for a UFO? ;)

Forgive me, but I have to say that i've lived on the flightpath to Leeds Bradford airport for the last 19 years and seen planes from every screwy angle and in just about every odd weather condition you can think of.

That's a plane. Not even a particularly remarkable view of one, just showing the brighter lights they turn on when the visibility is poor, and a bit of beaming on them where they're illuminating the fog/cloud itself.

Btw you mention that the object was visible in daylight, but those pictures don;t look like they're taken in daylight?

If this turns out to involve Argos, I have to say, it's still doing a damn good job of looking like a plane. :lol:

That's a plane.
No, honestly, it's not. The picture was taken through binoculars using a camera phone. It was taken in daylight (bright sunshine in fact) and the picture has not been altered using photoshop. The object is as appears with regards to distance and size.

rushfan62 said:
davidplankton said:
Yup. It's a Plane.
You seem very sure. An explanation or explaining away? I can assure you it is not a plane.

Obviously you saw it moving and how something moves about plays a large part in how we identify it. I can recognise different species of birds from miles away based on their movement alone, I can't actually see them very well at all. If you showed me a photo from the same distance I'd never get it.

That first pic is starting to look like a giant soap bubble to me now. :)

Go down to 'Night Twin Beech 18', there is a plane front view with those strange lights. I thin it might have been a special flight for a show or something. Why is it impossible that the original was a plane?

Dingo667 said:
Go down to 'Night Twin Beech 18', there is a plane front view with those strange lights. I thin it might have been a special flight for a show or something. Why is it impossible that the original was a plane?

It is impossible because the author knows what the picture consists of.

painy2 said:
Dingo667 said:

It is impossible because the author knows what the picture consists of.

That's what happens when you forget to post a link :oops:

http://www.younkinairshows.com/Younkin%20Our%20Acts.htm

That's what i think too.

Maybe i've misunderstood. The OP was suggesting he's aware it's not a plane, so I was expecting a reveal of some kind of simulacra, but apparently not. :?

There have been many times in the past when an "Explanation" has been proffered with regard to presented evidence, whether photographic or otherwise and that explanation seems to have been accepted in general by visitors to these boards while still being unproven. While I accept that a mundane explanation is usually more acceptable than a "Supernatural" one, I cannot help but feel that there are still many unexplained events within the pages of this site that have been thrown upon the "Solved" pile without real open mindedness being applied. How many ghosts have vanished because they are simply reflections or fakes? How many lights in the sky are chinese lanterns or 'planes viewed at unusual angles? No proof offered but accepted as fact anyway. I am aware people do miss identify everyday objects but sometimes weird stuff happens and it helps no on if the only explanation offered is one that has already been considered and rejected by the observer. With this in mind, I offered pictures taken exactly as described. No fakery with regard to the objects position or distance and a genuine description of the circumstances in which they were taken, through binoculars, in daylight etc. Most of these facts have been brought in to question yet facts they are. I have been dismayed at the certainty displayed by those insistant that the object is a plane and cannot but wonder how they would view a genuinely anomalous picture when they can't tell a 'plane from a flood light!Despite the name my son gave to this , I would like to assure any one in doubt that this is not a spaceship, Dalek or otherwise but is in fact a floodlight which reflected the light wonderfully, inspiring my brother to take a few shots using his cheapo binculars and his 'phone. He used no photoshop but did use good old "paint" (available with most versions of windows) to "Lose" the post beneath the light. All of this took him less than 2 minutes. So there you are. I wasn't trying to fool anyone, just questioning how accurate (or inaccurate) so called explanations can be. http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww99/rushfan62/dalekspaceship.jpg

Sinse the picture in your link is not available we're no further forward,

I am actually happy about this little 'experiment'. It does really highlight something I have always thought. You only feel the frustration when you saw something and know the circumstances whilst others come up with impossible possibles [if that makes sense; such as weather balloons, Venus, smudges etc]. Nobody can deny those explanations when you haven't been there.
As Stewart Lee said in the 90's: "You can prove anything with facts..."[sarky voice].
However just because something looks likely does it mean it definitively is?
Well done and hat off rushfan62, we needed this! :yeay:

Dingo667 said:
I am actually happy about this little 'experiment'. It does really highlight something I have always thought. You only feel the frustration when you saw something and know the circumstances whilst others come up with impossible possibles [if that makes sense; such as weather balloons, Venus, smudges etc]. Nobody can deny those explanations when you haven't been there.
As Stewart Lee said in the 90's: "You can prove anything with facts..."[sarky voice].
However just because something looks likely does it mean it definitively is?
Well done and hat off rushfan62, we needed this! :yeay:
Thankyou. You have obviously taken this in the spirit in which it was intended.

Are you seriously telling us that the lights in that picture are the ones in your original post? for one thing where is the light pole and secondly the lights over the roof top are much higher.

Ronson8 said:
Are you seriously telling us that the lights in that picture are the ones in your original post? for one thing where is the light pole and secondly the lights over the roof top are much higher.
Thats exactly what I'm telling you! I can't see the light from my house so took the trouble to walk to where I could get a picture of it. The original pictures were taken from my brothers house, through binoculars so the angle is different. There is only the one floodlight and it is visible for quite a distance so there can be no mistake as to which is shown.
He used no photoshop but did use good old "paint" (available with most versions of windows) to "Lose" the post beneath the light. All of this took him less than 2 minutes.
And thats where the pole went!

I have been dismayed at the certainty displayed by those insistant that the object is a plane and cannot but wonder how they would view a genuinely anomalous picture when they can't tell a 'plane from a flood light!

Then don't post something that looks indistinguishable from a plane in a UFO forum for the sole purpose of lording it over people who say it looks like a plane. :evil:

Bit of a tip Rushfan, conducting 'social experiments' on people is a really good way of thoroughly pissing them off.

you should have experimented with something that at least looked like a UFO

BlackRiverFalls said:
I have been dismayed at the certainty displayed by those insistant that the object is a plane and cannot but wonder how they would view a genuinely anomalous picture when they can't tell a 'plane from a flood light!

Then don't post something that looks indistinguishable from a plane in a UFO forum for the sole purpose of lording it over people who say it looks like a plane. :evil:

Bit of a tip Rushfan, conducting 'social experiments' on people is a really good way of thoroughly pissing them off.
I never thought it looked particularly like a 'plane, in fact, it never crossed my mind. I too live on the flight path of an airport (Sheffield and Doncaster) and I can't say I have ever seen anything that looked like my post. It was never my intention to "Lord it up" over anyone and I was genuinely dismayed that the response I got to the pictures was exactly the one I expected. It's one thing to say it could be a 'plane or that it looks like a plane, to ask questions regarding the circumstances the picture was taken in or about the objects movement or sound or any other aspect (one or two posters did ask) but it's quite another to pass judgement and claim to know what an object is without adequate information which is what other posters have done. Some posters were not suggesting that it could be a plane but telling me that it was one! It was not my intention to trick anyone and I hardly think this falls into the category of "Social experiment" it was more like testing a theory about the open mindedness of some contributers to these esteemed threads and as far as I am concerned, job done.

I think we've seen it too many times on this forum where people will come in with completely innocuous photos, proclaiming them to be 100% proof of UFOs and aliens. And no matter how much others tell them it just looks like a plane, or a bird, etc, they won't accept anything other than their first assumption.

It's a two way problem. There's frustration on both sides of the argument, from people who really believe and refuse to see any other outcome, and those who truly don't believe, and can't get past that.

For my own part, I used to believe in UFOs, but having watched the community over the years, it's really put me off. So many fakes, so many people taking videos of planes and helicopters, then putting them on YouTube for the fame and glory, so many disappointments.

Your pictures in particular, did look like a plane. If we'd been using them with the premise that they're unidentified, which is what the U in UFO stands for, then we'd have to reason that actually they're just an airplane. It might be a little overzealous for people to TELL you what they are, instead of suggest, but like I point out, too many times people are uploading things just like that and being totally dishonest, daring the world not to believe in UFOs now, after this stunning proof. So the frustration comes out.

It's so bloody difficult now to know who is genuine and serious with their UFO evidence, and who is just out to get a few followers on YouTube, or to enjoy their five minutes of fame in the internet limelight in general.

Back