• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Dartmouth Mystery

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
The mem and I have just returned home after a thoroughly enjoyable week in Dartmouth, Devon. We're not ones for "organised fun" but - based on recommendations - we advance-booked a guided tour of Britannia Royal Naval College, the shore-based establishment where Royal Navy officers have been trained since it opened in 1905. It overlooks the delightful town of Dartmouth and the River Dart.

The college was designed by Sir Aston Webb, a noted architect who designed, among other buildings, the Victoria & Albert Museum and the facade of Buckingham Palace.

Our tour guide "Mike" (no last name given) was a fount of knowledge as you'd expect (he was an RN officer on the staff there in the 80s and 90s).

One of the longer stops on the tour was the chapel of the college. Please excuse the quality of the following photos, as lighting conditions were dire (3200 ASA!), time short and flash photography not allowed. Here is the reredos behind the altar:

DSC_0395.jpg

In the centre you will see Jesus (behind the crucifix), his right hand raised in benediction.

At the opposite end of the chapel is this circular window with its cruciform decoration:

DSC_0391.jpg

Mike told us that, many years ago, one of the staff officers of the college was in the chapel on 21st October, the anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. It happened that the beam of sunlight from the circular window depicted above was moving across the reredos, almost like a caricature of the reticle of a telescopic sight. Becoming interested, the officer watched as it moved across the image of Jesus. He noted that it centred on Jesus' hand, raised in blessing, at 1616 hrs. According to Mike, that was the exact moment that Admiral Nelson died of his wounds on HMS Victory at Trafalgar. (Wikipedia gives it as 1630, but this might be an error of Mike's memory, mine or the records he consulted).

This so impressed the officer that he mentioned it to others. The commandant of the college was a photographer, so (we must assume next year), he stationed himself in the chapel at the material time and took a series of (not brilliant) photographs, one of which we were shown (and I managed to set down long enough to snap):

DSC_0392.jpg

Interesting enough, you'd think, but read on:

This occurrence became quite a subject of debate: Was it a fluke, or had Sir Aston painstakingly designed the setup into the chapel as a private (?) joke/act of homage? Much research was done to no avail. The archivist of the college even requested a viewing of Sir Aston's (copious) papers, which were delivered to the college in a truck and pored over with zero result.

Mike left us with a genuine request: If anyone out there knows the answer one way or another, the college would love to have the mystery solved.

maximus otter

Last edited:
My first question would be about the supposed time.

Although I think it was only around the 1830's or 40's that the UK started to standardise time across the country, it makes sense to assume that the Navy had some sort of standard, fixed datum. But, according to Wiki, oversight of the Royal Observatory was not taken over by the Admiralty until 1818, at which time it was commisioned with maintaining the Royal navy's chronometers.

So, my question would be - marine chronometers were accurate, but were they set to standardised datum which is precise enough to be transferred to an exact moment in time now? Put simply - would 16.16 on a ship off the south west coast of Spain in 1805, be the same 16.16 in Dartmouth in 2018?

That's a genuine question.

My first question would be about the supposed time.

Although I think it was only around the 1830's or 40's that the UK started to standardise time across the country...

Time across the UK wasn’t standardised until the 1840s, when Railway Time began to be adopted. Until it was adopted, towns in the UK could be up to 20 minutes off “London Time”.

I’m currently stuck using just an iPad, so if someone can work out the exact, to-the-minute time difference between London (Lat. 51.508530, Long. -0.076132) and the locus of the Battle of Trafalgar (Lat. 36° 17' 34.76" N, Long. -6° 15' 19.22" W), it might put us a little further for’ard.

maximus otter

Mostly longitude determines the difference. 1 degree is 4 minutes. 15 min longitude is one minute time difference
-6° 15' 19.22" Trafalgar DMS (Degrees Minutes Second notation)
- 0° 4' 34.0752" London DMS converted from Decimal Degree notation here: https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calc...ecimal-degrees-to-degrees-minutes-seconds.php

So the Longitude difference is aprox 6d 10m, equal to about a time difference of 24 minutes, 40 seconds. 25 min rounded off.

When I got my first GPS, I got introduced to the various coordinate systems. No maps on the first ones, just readout.

Last edited:
I never knew of the Royal Naval Academy at Dartmouth, Maximus, but in 1769, William Legge, 2nd Earl of Dartmouth gave his name to Dartmouth College in New Hampshire.

Anyway, on the 1616 mystery, I wonder. This source https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...ical-analysis-2167-1222-1000379.php?aid=89714 also gives 1630 as the time of Nelson's death.

But I don't know if sailing ships logged events on GMT or local Solar Time.

Last edited:
I’m happy that the time issue isn’t really an issue. I believe that RN ships ran on local Solar Time as the “naval day” began with the Officer of the Watch performing a sextant sighting of the Sun, then declaring noon.

As to the time of Nelson’s death, we have to consider:

a) Mike’s fallible memory
b) The confusion of battle
c) Whose watch was used to note time of death, and how accurate it was
d) How soon after the death the time of death was recorded

Etc.

As an aside, Dartmouth has strong American connections. It’s the last piece of English soil on which the Pilgrims set foot before they set sail for the Colonies. It’s also close to Slapton Sands, where GIs practiced assaulting the Normandy beaches.

maximus otter

had Sir Aston painstakingly designed the setup into the chapel as a private (?) joke/act of homage?

Churches* are traditionally oriented so that their relationship with the sun's passage is used to glorify the resurrection of Christ. Perverting this symbolism to celebrate the death of a national hero would be occult indeed!

I think it is a picturesque legend, to be honest, but I would start from the building itself to see if it is "differently-oriented" - now there's an old naval tradition! :pdunno:

*Whether a chapel, which is part of a larger building-complex, would follow the rule strictly is an interesting question but it would almost certainly have been taken into account.

Last edited:
It's one of these things that I'll put on the shelf since Sir Aston didn't say that he designed that chapel with Admiral Nelson's death in mind. It is a stretch to say that he sneaked in what would be a touching tribute without saying a word as if that would be a bad thing.

It is interesting lore.

Gene

Last edited:
Back