• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Hypnagogic Dream? ... Perhaps Not

intaglio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
There was a small party night before last and the 4 of us fell to telling ghost experiences. One in particular was very interesting.

The teller was lying in bed when he literally felt a presence in the room. This presence gave no impression if being inimical but interested. Then he felt a pressure starting at this feet and slowly moving up his body pressing him into the bed. This pressure was strong enough to stop him moving though he felt that at any time, if he put enough strength into it, he could move. The pressure rose higher up his body until it came to his throat at which time he began to feel some fear.

Not wanting to scare what he felt was a merely curious being he asked, politely, that it stop what it was doing and forced his arm to move at which the pressure vanished.

So far this is a normal hypnogogic experience, all perfectly explainable in terms of a waking dream except ...

Looking down the bed he could see that the duvet he was lying beneath had been pressed flat and moulded round his body

Over to you Forteans

If he moved his arm, then it must have been free from the duvet (Over it). That means that his arms were out of the duvet and, with little effort, the surroundings could easily be flattened around his body, without the need for concious thinking.
If the arm/s were beneath the duvet, then it is impossible that it was flattened into a "mould", purely by the fact that his arm movement would have messed the area up.
Is it anecdotal?

Sorry, should have made it clearer; he was lying full length arms above the duvet and the compression started at his feet and went all the way up his body.

Yes, it is anecdotal in that it was a story told to me by the human participant the night before last :)

No he is not an orang utang :D

Please...Please...Please...."Urang utan"
LOL....................He might have used a straw to suck all the air from beneath the duvet thus making it tight around his form!
Rather like vacuum packing!!:D
Seriously though......I've had many a hynogogic experience. Many where I'm being dragged across the ceiling towards a narrow open window.
Has anyone ever dreamed about something where an image in the dream is the first thing they see?
I had one where I was looking straight down out of my bedroom window and on the ground was a poster I had at the time, (A 6 foot by five foot poster with the words "F**K OFF MCDONALDS!" and the golden arches. I woke up, sitting, and looking at the poster, which was excactly in the same place and distance as it was in my dream! Juxtaposed reality and dream? I must have had my eyes open and somehow half concious and subconcious were at each other over who was best! lol!
*Should have had a poster of some fit bird!!* Pseudo-misogynystic jest there!*
Si thi!:rolleyes:

intaglio said:
Yes, it is anecdotal in that it was a story told to me by the human participant the night before last :)

No he is not an orang utang :D

...and if he were? :sceptic:

The Yithian said:
...and if he were? :sceptic:
He woldn't have been lying in bed; he would either have been exploring L-space or cozying down in a comfortable tree.

In the first case the unusual experience described would have been usual

In the second the experience might have been fatal

Back