• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Philosophical Questionable Question - To Question?

One of the problems with the seemingly irresolvable chicken & egg conundrum is the way it's expressed (and hence the way the problem is tacitly framed for consideration).

The hypothetical chicken is a single chicken. There is no equivalently singular egg to be considered. Every fully developed (mature; fertile) chicken has an intrinsic relationship with two different eggs - the egg from which it hatched and the (possibly one of very many) eggs it will eventually lay.

Offering an answer means categorizing "the egg" as one or the other of these two distinct possibilities. Thinking about the problem as stated means dealing with two different versions of the egg at issue.

Extend this out a bit further.

And let's assume that Darwin was right and we did come from apes.

A couple of things come to mind. why didn't all apes progress to humans ? And how did the change occur.

If we assume it was a genetic change in apes that caused it, then it would appear to have happened in very many apes at the same time. Again, so why not all of them.

If it began with a genetic change to one single ape then it would, one would think, take a very long time for the change to peculate down the generations due to the breeding from this one ape.

This seems a bit unlikely.

Imagine that our ape wakes up one morning and finds it can speak Spanish. I suppose our ape is now some kind of proto-human. An ape that is no longed an ape, but not yet human.

Anyway, this ape has a problem: no other ape can speak Spanish. In fact no other ape has the genetic change that would even allow them to speak Spanish.

So where is the missing link ?

INT21.
Not sure if you're being completely serious, although obviously the bit about speaking Spanish is humorous.

The "we all came from apes" idea is often misunderstood. It is easy to assume that we are the peak of evolution, and that each step on the way to Homo sapiens was an improvement in "absolute" terms. This is not true: the slug or the great white shark, or the sparrow have evolved to fit their niches.

The Victorians were only able to accept the idea of descending from the ape by superimposing the idea of some sort of greater purpose on evolution: all of evolution was somehow assumed to be aimed towards producing the civilised white European and — horrific to us today — black people were a sort of half way house, having evolved sufficiently to be useful to white people.

However, the real idea of evolution is a series of interconnected ideas:
  1. From time to time, there will be small mutuations. Darwin himself would not have understood this in terms of genetics, chromosomes, and molecular biology, but we now do.
  2. From time to time, two animals of the same type, but with a shared "extreme" (a very slightly longer neck, thicker beak, darker fur, etc.) would mate and produce offspring that had the same characteristic, and perhaps even more so.
  3. These changes would fall into one of three categories:
    1. Disadvantageous. The creature would be less likely to survive to breed successfully.
    2. Neutral.
    3. Advantageous; The creature would be more likely to survive to breed successfully, passing on its characteristics.
It's all a probabilities game. If your species as a whole has a 25% chance of each specimen surviving to breed, then an advantage that makes your chance 26% means you are still more likely to die before breeding, but, across large numbers of specimens, your type will survive to breed about 4% more often. Over 10 consecutive generations, a 4% advantage becomes a 48% advantage, which is substantial.

The creatures best adapted to a given niche would be more likely to survive and breed.

The creatures less well adapted would be more likely to die before they reached breeding age. However, the less well adapted creatures had options including:
  1. Moving geographically to a different environment and finding a niche where they could survive.
  2. Moving to a different niche in the same environment by changing, for example, their diet or behaviour.
So what happens is a divergence. Some creatures are well adapted for the niche in which they find themselves. Others need to find a new niche or they die out. The fact that subspecies Y learns to survive on the edge of the forest does not mean that the original species X cannot continue to live in the middle of the forest.

The two populations gradually grow apart as they occupy different niches, and are less likely to interbreed. Eventually, you have a situation in which the original species X is more or less unchanged in its original environment, and the subspecies Y has continued to adapt to fill a completely different niche.

Meanwhile, the environment is constantly changing. Temperatures may increase or decrease; water levels may rise or fall; predator or prey species may evolve or migrate. Therefore, something that may be a disadvantage or merely neutral may suddenly become an advantage, and something that was previously an advantage may become a hindrance.

Not sure if you're being completely serious, although obviously the bit about speaking Spanish is humorous.

The "we all came from apes" idea is often misunderstood. It is easy to assume that we are the peak of evolution, and that each step on the way to Homo sapiens was an improvement in "absolute" terms. This is not true: the slug or the great white shark, or the sparrow have evolved to fit their niches.

The Victorians were only able to accept the idea of descending from the ape by superimposing the idea of some sort of greater purpose on evolution: all of evolution was somehow assumed to be aimed towards producing the civilised white European and — horrific to us today — black people were a sort of half way house, having evolved sufficiently to be useful to white people.

However, the real idea of evolution is a series of interconnected ideas:
  1. From time to time, there will be small mutuations. Darwin himself would not have understood this in terms of genetics, chromosomes, and molecular biology, but we now do.
  2. From time to time, two animals of the same type, but with a shared "extreme" (a very slightly longer neck, thicker beak, darker fur, etc.) would mate and produce offspring that had the same characteristic, and perhaps even more so.
  3. These changes would fall into one of three categories:
    1. Disadvantageous. The creature would be less likely to survive to breed successfully.
    2. Neutral.
    3. Advantageous; The creature would be more likely to survive to breed successfully, passing on its characteristics.
It's all a probabilities game. If your species as a whole has a 25% chance of each specimen surviving to breed, then an advantage that makes your chance 26% means you are still more likely to die before breeding, but, across large numbers of specimens, your type will survive to breed about 4% more often. Over 10 consecutive generations, a 4% advantage becomes a 48% advantage, which is substantial.

The creatures best adapted to a given niche would be more likely to survive and breed.

The creatures less well adapted would be more likely to die before they reached breeding age. However, the less well adapted creatures had options including:
  1. Moving geographically to a different environment and finding a niche where they could survive.
  2. Moving to a different niche in the same environment by changing, for example, their diet or behaviour.
So what happens is a divergence. Some creatures are well adapted for the niche in which they find themselves. Others need to find a new niche or they die out. The fact that subspecies Y learns to survive on the edge of the forest does not mean that the original species X cannot continue to live in the middle of the forest.

The two populations gradually grow apart as they occupy different niches, and are less likely to interbreed. Eventually, you have a situation in which the original species X is more or less unchanged in its original environment, and the subspecies Y has continued to adapt to fill a completely different niche.

Meanwhile, the environment is constantly changing. Temperatures may increase or decrease; water levels may rise or fall; predator or prey species may evolve or migrate. Therefore, something that may be a disadvantage or merely neutral may suddenly become an advantage, and something that was previously an advantage may become a hindrance.

I learned about similar 'genetic' changes which could be introduced in plants as a hobby when I was much younger - I took to learning about hybridising lilies. Upon achieving the pretty delicate processes to crossing them by pollinating one plant with another flowers pollen, I ended up with a multitude of some very distinctive changes and variations in form and in colour. I presume that the same kind of alterations, processes and changes can happen in all other forms of life?

The use of 'speaking Spanish' was, as you worked out, just an attempt at illustrating an extreme.

And to also illustrate that, as the sudden ability to do something like that would be of no use as it would be a communication trait amongst beings with no 'communication' as we know it.
Even in our modern age there are people who can spend most of their lives in a country other to the one they were born in and never learn the language.

Tt is this business of a very small change to one animal's brain being passed on to another via the normal act of breeding that has me wondering. The time scale is so huge. Yet it only appeared to happen once.

I learned about similar 'genetic' changes which could be introduced in plants as a hobby when I was much younger - I took to learning about hybridising lilies. Upon achieving the pretty delicate processes to crossing them by pollinating one plant with another flowers pollen, I ended up with a multitude of some very distinctive changes and variations in form and in colour. I presume that the same kind of alterations, processes and changes can happen in all other forms of life?

Yes - indeed, all these same kinds of things are happening, and have always happened, in all forms of terrestrial life.

The only difference between your horticultural experience and what happens naturally is that you were artificially tweaking the particular courses of cross-pollination and perhaps preserving variations that wouldn't have survived to reproduce in the wild.

Sid,

Did your lilies breed true in future generations ? By true I mean true to the ones you created, not to the one of the originals

Sid,

Did your lilies breed true in future generations ? By true I mean true to the ones you created, not to the one of the originals
Some did 'INT21' others took a bit of a wobble! I did produce a green lily - all green; and another with a wavy edge and so on they bred true more-or-less I would say. Sent one photograph away (of the wavy edged lily) to Kew Gardens just to see what they would say about it. They replied that it looked very promising - that year was particularly cold in Scotland, and all my bulbs had got frozen, after many years work that was a bit of a downer as it takes seven years before you see the results of crossing! "But that's life for ya!"

Back