• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

a query (re UFOs and faeries)

A

Anonymous

a queery

UFO's ect are hardly my aria of knowlage but reading The Mothman Prophisies again I was intreged by Keel's idea about them belonging to the same aria as faeries and their ilk.

Anyone care to coment on this?

It's an idea that's been kicked around a fair bit. Taking the principle that people relate what they see to their own environment and perspective, it can be argued that in times past odd things flying about (and odd goblin type things coming out of them) would be just that - fairies or goblins. In our science fiction saturated age, the very same thing is more likely to be interpreted as a UFO and an alien respectively: likewise in the past fairies, hags, incubi and succubi came into people's bedrooms while they slept and stole them away, or in the latter two cases impregnated their victim or stole their sperm: in our time the same phenomenon would be interpreted as greys abducting people. Fairy ring or UFO landing site?

Personally, I tend towards the notion that this serves to mitigate the argument that abductions in particular are basically a psycho/sociological phenomenon: a common, in my opinion purely psychological condition interpreted within the cultural confines of our own society. As to what UFOs are, who knows? (Hint - don't trust anyone who claims they know exactly what they are ;)).

By the way, Ivan Sanderson, the great cryptozoologist, suggested that UFOs may even be lifeforms of their own accord (which seems to be the current flavour vis-a-vis rods).

Wintermute, in the thread 'Fairys' (Gen'l Forteana) said:
Jaques Vallee's 'Passport to Magonia' is an excellent read on the similarities between the fairies and the occupants of UFO's.

Both abduct humans with missing time a feature............

Read it if you can find it!

I think that Keel is trying to say that fairies, UFO's etc are all simply different facets of the same phenomenon.

Interestingly, he also makes the point that the phenomenon is dependent on belief, and as we all know, every time you say you don't believe in fairies, one of them dies!

stu neville said:
It's an idea that's been kicked around a fair bit. Taking the principle that people relate what they see to their own environment and perspective, it can be argued that in times past odd things flying about (and odd goblin type things coming out of them) would be just that - fairies or goblins. In our science fiction saturated age, the very same thing is more likely to be interpreted as a UFO and an alien respectively: likewise in the past fairies, hags, incubi and succubi came into people's bedrooms while they slept and stole them away, or in the latter two cases impregnated their victim or stole their sperm: in our time the same phenomenon would be interpreted as greys abducting people. Fairy ring or UFO landing site?

Personally, I tend towards the notion that this serves to mitigate the argument that abductions in particular are basically a psycho/sociological phenomenon: a common, in my opinion purely psychological condition interpreted within the cultural confines of our own society. As to what UFOs are, who knows? (Hint - don't trust anyone who claims they know exactly what they are ;)).

By the way, Ivan Sanderson, the great cryptozoologist, suggested that UFOs may even be lifeforms of their own accord (which seems to be the current flavour vis-a-vis rods).
there seems to be a definate likbetween faries and alians: lost time, the granting of knowlage, the charnal house aspect of much of what abuctees repost...

Alians as an indiginis species? an interesting thought

Even if what we now percieve as aliens was once percieved as fairies it would still leave the question of what they actually are?

kevinj said:
Even if what we now percieve as aliens was once percieved as fairies it would still leave the question of what they actually are?

I wasn't sugesting it solved any questions but it does alow us to view the problem in a new way.

Keel didn't think that they came from another planet but from Earth itself. This gives us a new avenue to explore.

Flying Saucer Vision - vastly underated

John Michell in the 'Flying Saucer Vision' 1967 also made the connection between UFOs and older phenomena, such as Dragons (and dragon hills) and fairies. He noted the similarity between the shapes of barrows, the saucers and the hollow hills of the fairies, and the smilarities experiences of people taken inside the spaceship to those taken into the fairy realm.

He doesn't give any explanation as to the true nature of the phenomena, but emphasises the links between the UFOs and the earth mysteries.

A bit of bias here, I read the 'Flying Saucer Vision' before 'Chariot of the Gods' and consequently always felt that CotG and the ancient astronauts hypothesis is a cruder, more simplistic approach to the whole phenomenon (and not even very good SF, though the original Stargate movie is fun, CotG meets Lawrence of Arabia).

MiB

In Jenny Randles's stunning exploration (!) of the Men In Black (which no longer seems to be available in the original volume, but I think there's a new edition with a different title coming out) , there's a section where she discusses MiB visitations after UFO sightings throughout history, and going quite far back there are faerie-type visitors dressed in black uniforms visiting frightened villagers after aerial phenomena... I don't have the book to hand though :(

Re: Flying Saucer Vision - vastly underated

Timble said:
A bit of bias here, I read the 'Flying Saucer Vision' before 'Chariot of the Gods' and consequently always felt that CotG and the ancient astronauts hypothesis is a cruder, more simplistic approach to the whole phenomenon (and not even very good SF, though the original Stargate movie is fun, CotG meets Lawrence of Arabia).

I agree - Von Daniken just reached a much wider audience (due to his sensationalist approach), despite the fact that alot of his ideas were mostly pre-empted by other writers.

"The real problems hidden behind the UFO phenomenon are staggering and so complex that they will seem almost incomprehensible at first. The popular beliefs and speculations are largely founded on biased reporting, gross misinterpretation, and the inability to see beyond the limits of any one of many frames of reference. Cunning techniques of deception and psychological warfare have been employed by the UFO source to keep us confused and skeptical. Man's tendency to create a deep and inflexible belief on the basis of little or no evidence has been exploited."

-John Keel, pg10 of 'Operation Trojan Horse'.

"The apparent purpose of most of these landings seems to have been to advance belief in the frame of reference not to provide absolute proof that the frame of reference is authentic"

-JK, pg171 of 'OTH'

From the thread: 'Is John Keel a crank?'

I always wondered why Keel never followed up one reference; in MP, remember the bit where the contactee girl (forget her name, the one who met the weird old/young lady librarian) is given a disk to wear so that '...they will always know you...'? She asks who 'they' are and is told 'the very good people'. Which is, of course, what the Little People et al were known as in European folklore.

Whitley Streiber makes reference to the UFO/Faerie connection when he discusses Betty Andreasson (sp?) and the so-called 'Star Language' which she apparently spoke under hypnosis.

By all accounts, many words that she used have some links to ancient Irish.

Anyone else remember anything about this?

MrHyde said:
I always wondered why Keel never followed up one reference; in MP, remember the bit where the contactee girl (forget her name, the one who met the weird old/young lady librarian) is given a disk to wear so that '...they will always know you...'? She asks who 'they' are and is told 'the very good people'. Which is, of course, what the Little People et al were known as in European folklore.

the identity disk itself also brings to mind 'the devil's mark' in the 17th centery witchcraft panics.

There is - at least here in Scotland - a definate link between farie lore and the witchcraft panics (see Troublisim Things: A history of Farie Lore published by Penguin, The Scotish Witch Panic in Context pub. Manchester University Press and Enemies of God by Christena Larner.)

Back