• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Query: Whether This Is An Urban Legend?

The £5 note investigation in itself was amazingly interesting, how they went about it.

Yup, as you know the serial number on the note was traced back to the batch it was printed with, then blank notes were printed and processed in the same way as real ones so that the pertinent note's eventual destination could be pinpointed. It worked and Sutcliffe's workplace was identified. Of course, just beforehand Sutcliffe was arrested while out on the prowl with weapons.

My memory let me down on that one, I thought the £5 note investigation was halted but David P is correct, it was the vehicle checks.
I think I'm right in saying the sheer number of vehicles in red light areas both surprised the police and created a lot of extra work.
It was PC Robert Ring who went back to the scene of Sutcliffe's arrest to check and then found the hammer and screwdriver.
I always admired his instincts but the more prosaic truth is he was worried he would get a rollicking for failing to maintain control of a suspect in custody. Or something of that ilk.

Retired Norfolk detective Chris Clark says he has found a 'buried' pathologist report which indicates Ms Sewell was also strangled as well as receiving the head injury that lead to her death.
I will dig around for more information as it begs a question.
When Stephen Downing signed his confession, was there any mention of him strangling Ms Sewell?.
If not, was that why the report was 'buried' if indeed it was?
Armchair detectives can only speculate, but I would dearly love to see the police files on this case.

Back