• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Scanner Darkly - the film

yeah, it has more of a graphic novel feel about it. looks like a movie animated by Bryan Hitch or someone like that.

The dream like state of the motion in 'Waking Life' is not so nausiating in this rendition.

should be good.

Not working for me. Problem with my setup or is the link being naughty?

Fitz said:
I wasn't sure about this, but after seeing the trailer I am very optimistic.

Me too - I really liked the trailer. I think this might be the first properly done PKD film. :D

Canoo Reeves? What? Is he a replicant, or what?

'Two hemisphere's of his brain are competing.... '

And the other half is played by Will Smith!

:rofl:

I almost got work on this movie, they were farming out a while back by the bucket load.

It's a really great cast, but the lead is played by a little wooden boy. :(

GiantRobot said:
Fitz said:

Me too - I really liked the trailer. I think this might be the first properly done PKD film. :D

It can't be any worse than Bladerunner or Total Recall or Minority Report or Paycheck or... no, I'll stop now.

I'm not overly optimistic about this latest effort - nice effects, but will they they get the subleties of the story?

Jane.

I have to say that Woody Harrelson as the delusional paranoid seems reasonable casting. I'm looking forward to him trying to get the aphids.

anome said:
I have to say that Woody Harrelson as the delusional paranoid seems reasonable casting. I'm looking forward to him trying to get the aphids.

Maybe even inspired?

Does the fact that it's animated like that mean that they might be able to make Keen-o show some emotion? ;)

Looks good to me from the trailer, but I'm getting horrible memories of Johnny Mnemonic somehow.

Must....scrub....skin.... Unclean! Unclean!

C'mon people, isn't mocking Keanu at this point a bit like shooting fish in a barrell?

I agree, he isn't a terriffic actor, but the part of Bob Arctor fairly screams for someone like Reeves who appears completely confused the entire time.

He suits Bob Arctor, he doesn't suit Constantine.

-Fitz

Fitz said:
C'mon people, isn't mocking Keanu at this point a bit like shooting fish in a barrell?

I agree, he isn't a terriffic actor, but the part of Bob Arctor fairly screams for someone like Reeves who appears completely confused the entire time.

He suits Bob Arctor, he doesn't suit Constantine.

-Fitz
Good point. :)

We're a bit slow on this one, which has been around the net for a couple days. (I'm surprised nobody else on Twitch mentioned it.) A Scanner Darkly is set for March 31, 2006.

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004287.html

IMDB:

"A Scanner Darkly" is set in suburban Orange County, California in the future. It imagines a paranoid world in which it seems two of every 10 Americans has been hired by the government to spy on the other 8 -- in the name of national security and drug enforcement. When one reluctant government recruit (Reeves) is ordered to start spying on his friends, he is launched on a journey into the absurd, where outsourced government contractors largely define the social construct, where identities and loyalties are impossible to decode, and where not even his girlfriend can be trusted. The film highlights the inconsistencies and ironic consequences of the war on drugs.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0405296/

mejane1 said:
GiantRobot said:
Fitz said:

It can't be any worse than Bladerunner or Total Recall or Minority Report or Paycheck or... no, I'll stop now.

I'm not overly optimistic about this latest effort - nice effects, but will they they get the subleties of the story?

Jane.

By "properly done", I mean the distinctly Dickish way of really undermining the sense of reality via his stories. Those that have been turned into films have usually been toned down in this regard, and turned into plain, but good, sci-fi.

I think I'm one of the few people on the planet who really doesn't like Bladerunner.

Interesting bit of news:

December 11, 2005

Radiohead to Score Linklater's A Scanner Darkly!?!

(Posted In Animation Film News Sci-Fi / Fantasy USA and Canada )

scannerdarklysmall.jpgNow, this is one that belongs firmly in the rumor pile - nothing has been confirmed - but the source seems credible and if this pans out it's simply stunning news, far too good to sit on. I'll let him speak for himself:

"I have a friend who is an animator on Richard Linklater's A SCANNER DARKLY. I thought you might be interested in this scoop.

The movie is doing very well in test screenings, but the #1 complaint audiences have is with the score. So I can only tell you this anonymously, but the producers have approached RADIOHEAD about doing a new score for the film and it looks like everything is going to go through. So in addition to an awesome animated Phillip K. Dick film, we will have a brand new Radiohead score to look forward to. as far as I know, this is the first time Radiohead has ever done a score for the film. While this is still a "rumor" at this time, I would give it a 99% accuracy rating at this point.

Also, I've seen the new trailer for the film and it is absolutely outstanding. It should be hitting the web any time now."

For those unaware this film is Linklater's adaptation of the Philip K. Dick novel of the same name using the same animation technique's he previously used with Waking Life. And if ever there's been a band that more closely shared Dick's themes of paranoia, isolation and a joint fascination with / fear of technology than Radiohead I certainly don't know who it is. This will be an absolutely perfect match if it comes together.

In case you've not yet seen the stunning first trailer for the film yet, the Apple page is here.

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004469.html

Seems that wa just a rumour.

-----------
Anyway more reliable news:

January 19, 2006

A Scanner Darkly vs. The Pirate Movie

(Posted In Animation Film News USA and Canada )

Shed a small tear, because A Scanner Darkly is moving from March to July, bumping against Gore Verbinsk's Pirates of the Caribean sequel. Yes folks, it looks like Warner Independant Pictures is going to go the counter-programming route with Richard Linklater's new digital rotoscoped adaptation of Phillip K. Dick's most esoteric of novels. I for one know what cinema I'll be planting my butt down on July 7, 2006. Now then, where is my copy of Waking Life to ease the wait?

[Source: CHUD]

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004858.html

For a moment there I thought they were drawing comparison between A Scanner Darkly and The Pirate Movie, a somewhat lacklustre Australian affair featuring Christopher Aitken at the peak of his fame from The Blue Lagoon (ie about two weeks later).

Given how long this project has been in production hell, it's not terribly surprising that they've held up the release. And I don't think it really matters that it will be released against PoC II. It's most likely to be a critical success, and a box office flop anyway. I expect DVD sales will be what saves it.

Of course, it could be a critical flop as well, but I still think it's going to make all its money in DVD sales as a cult classic.

May 14, 2006

What Does The Scanner See?

(Posted In Animation Film News Sci-Fi / Fantasy Trailer Alert USA and Canada )

A forty second clip of Richard Linklater's upcoming adaptation of A Scanner Darkly has appeared on Russian site Kino Express and while it's nothing more than a dialogue sequence between Reeves and Ryder it goes a long, long way to further cement my belief that this is a near perfect fusion of form and content. Linklater's rotoscoping technique just captures the queasy unreality of Dick's prose fantastically well ...

A Scanner Darkly Clip (downloadable AVI)

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/006154.html

Downloading now...

lol i couldn't have put it better myself Emps...

It looks odd, but i can't work out if that's odd in a good way or not...

Oh dear. I was quite looking forward to this, but I'm not sure I can stand 90 minutes of that style of animation. Keanu might well be a good choice, though. I quite enjoyed his turn as the befuddled dentist/guru in Thumbsucker.

Now, what's all this fuss about Radiohead? I've nothing against them in particular, but rock bands rarely have a clue how to score films. If you can afford Radiohead, then you can afford a proper composer like Philip Glass or Dario Marianelli or whoever.

If you've seen Waking Life, then it's the same kind of technique. I don't have a problem with it, having grown up with Ralph Bakshi cartoons.

I wish it wasn't Radiohead too, but then I'm not keen on Radiohead.

graylien said:
Now, what's all this fuss about Radiohead? I've nothing against them in particular, but rock bands rarely have a clue how to score films. If you can afford Radiohead, then you can afford a proper composer like Philip Glass or Dario Marianelli or whoever.
To be fair, although I'm not their greatest fan, Radiohead would be a good choice. They have a very Dickian paranoia inherent in their music, but bang up to date with the modern age, they do a lot with timbre and atmospherics in the context of rock, and I think Johnny Greenwood already did a film soundtrack (for a documentary) that was very well recieved.

H_James said:
To be fair, although I'm not their greatest fan, Radiohead would be a good choice. They have a very Dickian paranoia inherent in their music, but bang up to date with the modern age, they do a lot with timbre and atmospherics in the context of rock, and I think Johnny Greenwood already did a film soundtrack (for a documentary) that was very well recieved.

Yeah, that was Bodysong. Sounded like noodling to me, to be honest.

Noodling in an Eno kind of way? Or in a Brian May kind of way?

Back