• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Step Out Of Time

Pete Dickinson

Fresh Blood
One winter's night as I went for my walk something very odd happened. As I turned the corner onto Ottringham's main street (in the old part of the village), suddenly the street became cobbled, and the houses no longer painted. Before I had turned the corner I had seen no one around. The day had been heavy and overcast, however the air suddenly seemed thin and biting. Everything seemed to have changed - the houses appeared older looking, and the people about were dressed oddly. There had been no people in sight before, but now there were and they were openly staring at me. I felt uneasy and turned back looking at the church - I shook my head and looked forward again, now everything appeared normal. It felt like I had stepped 130 years into the past, and I remember feeling relieved as it was a very unnerving experience. It had happened once before on a Halloween evening. That time it had also been night, and I had not seen anyone - just the change in the village. After this apparent step into the past I had noticed a slight tingling like I had been shocked, but it lasted for only half a minute.

Peter

Last edited:
One night in winter when I went for my walk the day was heavy and overcast, while walking along no one was around the air seemed really thin and biting, as I turned the corner into Ottringham's main street which is also the very old part of Otringham, you would think I was hallucinating but I don't think I was and no reason to.
The scene had changed!! the street was now cobbled and the houses were no longer painted or rendered, they were old looking the people dressed oddly and openly staring at me I felt uneasy and turned back and looked at the church I shook my head looked forwards again all was normal once more,
it felt like I stepped 130 years back in time, its happened before too but was night time on a Halloween evening, no one was around but the scene was the same, there was nothing to notice after but a slight tingling like I had been shocked was over in probably 30 sec or a minuet.

Peter

That must have been a crazy experience .... have you tried looking for old photos of that street to see if they match up with what you saw ?

Pete, that's a fun tale but to be honest we've heard the likes of it many, many times before.

Could you maybe personalise it a bit more? Firstly, are you one of these lucky folk that has had many "odd" experiences before?

That must have been a crazy experience .... have you tried looking for old photos of that street to see if they match up with what you saw ?
Yes it was really weird experience not a comforting feeling when it happened, o_O and a couple of older folk in the village have since shown me old photos that confirmed it for me. haha hope it never happens again.:creepy:

Pete, that's a fun tale but to be honest we've heard the likes of it many, many times before.

Could you maybe personalise it a bit more? Firstly, are you one of these lucky folk that has had many "odd" experiences before?
It was hard remember the finer detail but I have been racking my brain to get the finer details to share with folk, and no typically im not usually prone to having weird things happen to me, or around me although there have been a few times when things have, glad to say nothings happened recently for years.:drink:

It was hard remember the finer detail but I have been racking my brain to get the finer details to share with folk, and no typically im not usually prone to having weird things happen to me, or around me although there have been a few times when things have, glad to say nothings happened recently for years.:drink:
Well then you can't be looking for them hard enough ;)

Not saying you imagined it, but your account did remind me of my experience from a few years ago. So, forgive me if I reprise my posting originally made to the Time and Dimensional Slips thread back in June:

That photo from Oxford resonated with me and I had to look back through my stored photos. Found the one I wanted. Taken in Winter around 4 years ago in a foggy Domfront in north-west France. I'd been driving for an hour or so down from the coast and wanted to stop to stretch my legs and maybe have a drink. I parked in a car park on the outskirts of the town and followed the sign for "Centre Ville". It became increasingly foggy and there was no-one else around. Not sure if it's a strange acoustic property of fog, but all normal sounds from traffic or otherwise seemed strangely muted. As I walked on, I felt, more than saw the modern street surface give way to rough cobblestones. As I approached the old town square, suddenly, this delightful-looking medieval inn loomed out of the fog. It looked so dramatic that I stopped and took this snap with my phone. For a moment, I could well imagine I had stepped back in time a few centuries! I obviously had to pop in to see what the place was like. That's when any feelings of strangeness dissipated, as the medieval exterior gave way to a normally-equipped modern French café. I stopped for a delicious Abbey beer, walked back to my car and continued my journey. Wonder if the place will still be there next time I pass through...

Last edited:
Penny-farthing
I saw a guy on an old time penny farthing bike a few months ago and was totally hoping for time slip, but everything else was still crappy 21st century https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny-farthing
Penny-farthing

It seems like a straightforward Type 4 time slip. And not the only one you have experienced, which is quite typical. These things are a lot more common than most people realise.

They didn't there were some proper shaped bikes first.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocipede

Whoever thought the penny farthing was a good idea I don't know. Looks like an accident waiting to happen and that's just getting on it!
The penny farthing was before the idea of gears/chain drives caught on. The larger wheel allowed the cyclist to produce more pedal-power per turn of the wheel than a non-geared bike with small wheels.

It seems like a straightforward Type 4 time slip. And not the only one you have experienced, which is quite typical. These things are a lot more common than most people realise.
Oh a 'Type 4'?

Obvious, dunno why I didn't see it myself.

Please explain @Carl Grove what are these types, and how do they differ from each other?

Type 1 -- Vague vision of a different time period
Type 2 -- Perception of a different time period indistinguishable from a normal visual experience
Type 3 -- Entry into a different time period
Type 4 -- Interaction (tactile, social, acoustic, physical etc) with people and/or physical elements in the different time period (in effect, physical time travel)

Back