• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A trance and tuned in?

A

Anonymous

A couple of years ago I was at home .My brother had popped round to see me and we were sat with the TV on looking at it but not really watching it (like you do) It was some after match reports from a football game and they were interviewing one of the players.

I suddenly turned to my brother and said
"Remember, it doesn't last forever"

I didn't have a clue why I said it.My mind had been a blank at the time.We had not been chatting or anything,it was just totally random.It was like I could hear myself saying it, but didnt know why I was saying it.Funny thing was,I said it in a northern accent (Im originally from the midlands,but moved to the southwest when I was 12)

My brother looked at me oddly, and was just opening his mouth to say "what?!?" when the bloke being interviewed on the TV said

"Remember,it doesn't last forever"

And yes,you guessed it,he had a northern accent.

Well my ghast was truly flabbered I can tell you!

My brother was just as surprised.He told me later that when I turned to him and said it my face was a blank.It was like I was looking right through him.Looking in his direction,but not at him.

I just wondered if anyone else here had a similar bizarre experience like this?

Was this a live broadcast? i wonder if the brain is able to pick up incoming tv waves. VERY weird!

Not quite the same experience but something equally odd........

I was living with a partner in Canada in a small flat. I really dislike cats and could never envisage living with one. One evening as we were both abed, dropping off to sleep, I suddenly said " We must get a kitten".

He was astounded, he had been offered a kitten by a friend that day and was laying there thinking how we could possibly keep it in a small flat.

I've said things like that and not known why I did, my g/f does the same now and then. Its almost always been when we were very very tired. Sometimes the things you think come out verbally when you dont mean to actually say them.

Our thoughts are incomplete in our heads, we dont "think" in complete sentences. Now do you see why the things we say (when we dont mean to talk outloud) sound so strange?

I cant explain how he knew in advance what the player would say, thats something different from what I was talking about.

Yes, it was a live broadcast from what I can remeber.

Sounds like more anecdotal evidence that consciousness is actually ahead of 'reality'. I think I posted something a while back about Dean radin's experiments at the University of Arizona that showed that subjects presented with a random slide show comprising of neutral and shocking images actually demonstrated physiological reactions to the shocking images ahead of their display. I don't know if anyone has managed to repeat these experiments.

The incident you describe seems to be the ahead of time perception somehow being relayed as a result of the trance-like state.

ideasman said:
Sounds like more anecdotal evidence that consciousness is actually ahead of 'reality'. I think I posted something a while back about Dean radin's experiments at the University of Arizona that showed that subjects presented with a random slide show comprising of neutral and shocking images actually demonstrated physiological reactions to the shocking images ahead of their display. I don't know if anyone has managed to repeat these experiments.

The incident you describe seems to be the ahead of time perception somehow being relayed as a result of the trance-like state.

The expiriment your talking of, couldn't their fear be due to the fact that they knew something was coming up ? Cuz after 4 pictures of trees, and then a dead body, once you see some more trees you get scared and expect another dead body right?

I don't know if this is the same thing or not......But once I found a note on my computer desk. It was in my handwriting and I had absolutely no idea what it meant ( I can't remember the words now but they were nonsensical....i think it was a mixture of words & numbers), and I had absolutely NO recollection of writing it. I even asked people if they knew the meaning but no one did. Eventually I threw it away---i wish I had kept it now.
:shock:

I was sitting, writing in my journal one evening when something odd happened.

The writing was pretty mundane stuff tracking the effects of my diet, in particular the stimulant effects of some soda pop I'd had earlier making it hard to concentrate, and then I started to drift off while I was writing.

And out came this:

"Behold for I am he who holds sway beneath the waves. I am he who gave the raves to the lunatics."

In very loose handwriting whereas my usual writing is fairly tight.

Another evening, the same thing happened, as I was writing before going to bed at that time:

"The streets empty as the Sun flees and the sky fills with it's own multitude of glowing travellers."

And my final example:

"Roses. On the doorstep."

And the weird thing is that I don't actually remember writing any of them.

I just wish I could write like that while fully conscious. :D

that's really strange AC.

I have never experienced what you describe, but I do find that as I'm dropping off to sleep I hear strange snatches of conversation, but when I try to listen I can't hear them anymore, and I can almost never remember what they say the next day. the only one phrase I can remember comes from when I was about 13, and I wrote it down immediately and hence have never forgotten it. It said "the grey square one who comes by every second week." I was only 13, so it freaked me out, but now I am sure this is the onset of dreaming, and perfectly explainable./ However it is a strange feeling, and enjoyable. I try to induce it whenever I can.

But your writing is even more interesting. do you ever write in the 'stream of consciousness' method? Perhaps if this is an untapped resevoir of creative talent you should try to bring it out more often! It is definitely striking language, judging from the samples you have given!

light said:
I do find that as I'm dropping off to sleep I hear strange snatches of conversation, but when I try to listen I can't hear them anymore, and I can almost never remember what they say the next day. the only one phrase I can remember comes from when I was about 13, and I wrote it down immediately and hence have never forgotten it. It said "the grey square one who comes by every second week."

For me, it's musical instruments and snippets of music. What's really strange is that I've had numerous people over the years ask me what instrument I play as if they expect me to be a musician. Except for a week or two of trumpet and guitar lessons when I was 12, I've never played a musical instrument, which seems to surprise people.

What's weird, however, is that I can hear an entire band or orchestra playing in my head and pick out specific instruments and listen to them alone.

Especially, when I'm starting to drop off to sleep.

Back to a more on-topic Fortean take on this, I frequently will be sitting in the car with my wife, humming a song...usually something obscure, turn on the radio and be surprised to hear it playing.

light said:
But your writing is even more interesting. do you ever write in the 'stream of consciousness' method? Perhaps if this is an untapped resevoir of creative talent you should try to bring it out more often! It is definitely striking language, judging from the samples you have given!

Thanks! I'm saving up to get a laptop in a week or two so I can go sit in cafes and write. Strangely, I find it almost impossible to do stream of consciousness at home for more than a couple minutes at a time. But, in a noisy public place, it appears that I can do it as long as I like. I've tried it with pen and paper though and it seems much more frustrating than with a keyboard. Thus, the laptop.

I wonder which (if any) forum on FT would be appropriate for posting the results (or links to them) when they appear to be Fortean or at least related to Forteana. (?)

light said:
I have never experienced what you describe, but I do find that as I'm dropping off to sleep I hear strange snatches of conversation, but when I try to listen I can't hear them anymore, and I can almost never remember what they say the next day. the only one phrase I can remember comes from when I was about 13, and I wrote it down immediately and hence have never forgotten it. It said "the grey square one who comes by every second week." I was only 13, so it freaked me out, but now I am sure this is the onset of dreaming, and perfectly explainable./ However it is a strange feeling, and enjoyable. I try to induce it whenever I can.

The same thing happens to me, light. As I understand it, it's considered a symptom of sleep paralysis - although you may never experience the full-on 'night hag' phenomena (I never have myself, thank Buddha). Can be very unsettling!

Redhead said:
But once I found a note on my computer desk. It was in my handwriting and I had absolutely no idea what it meant ( I can't remember the words now but they were nonsensical....i think it was a mixture of words & numbers), and I had absolutely NO recollection of writing it.
I recently had to look up a phone number. Thinking it might come in handy in future, I decided to write it in my diary.

But on opening the diary, I found another phone number listed against
"C + S", which meant nothing to me at all! I tried dialling the number to see who answered (intending to say 'Sorry, wrong number' if I couldn't think of anything more intelligent to say!) but only got an uninformative answerphone message.

I tried flicking through the phone book (Corwall or Cornish something?) but no joy.

An hour or more later, I suddenly remembered - "C + S" are the initials of my next-door neighbours...! :oops:

Back