• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

AAP Sighting, Southampton,Hampshire 27/07/2007

L_double

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
At Approx 1:00am on the evening off 27 July 2007 whilst stood in the garden at the rear of my house i witnessed what appeared to be a bright white light spherical in shape climbing gradually over what looked like Southampton city docks. The location of my property is in Hythe which is on the other side of the water and i enjoy great views of the docks and city form the vantage point of my house which was built on a large hill which was historically a golf coarse used by King Geaorge IV.
Eastliegh airport lies on the out skirts of the city and i am very familiar with not only the standard flight paths taken but also the sound and shape of aircraft both in daylight hours and in darkness.
The light or sphere apperared to rock gently as it climbed and became brighter momentarily over the period i observed it. As i was about to go back inside after finishing my ciggerette i heard the familiar sound of a commerical airplane flighing over head travelling in from the west(going east) its undercarraige lights were clearly visible as was the the rough outline of the plane itself. This gave me an exellent opportunity to draw any comparisons that may be evident and i can say in absolute honesty there were none what so ever. It also drew my attention to the fact that the source of the white light emitted no sound although as previously stated i could here the sound of jet engines and the distant sounds being generated by the work being carried out at the docks.As the airplane continued on its flight path i noted that the AAP instead of climbing was now moving towards the east, away from the airplane. Very gradually the spherical light became dimmer and dimmer as it travelled east at a steady rate unitl it became barely visible.
I dont know what i witnessed that evening and would not be ignorant or arrogant enough to suggest an explanation but one things for sure i have never seen anything quite like it in my life.

L_double said:
but one things for sure i have never seen anything quite like it in my life.

You lucky Bugger!

Shame you didn't have a camera strapped to your side! I had indended to get the smallest slimest camera, for just such a chance sighting. Just so I could carry it about and not have it get in the way. I have it now and carry it everywhere, although bulkier than I'd like (It was a present from soemone) it is reasonable in size has 5 optical zoom, 8 Megapixels, and can record 800x600 Video, with active zoom.

As of yet, Not a sausage of the slightest fortean interest has passed my way!

Come on!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean Waylander28! I carry my mobile phone primed to recored low quality video each time I venture out - just in case! So far all I've caught is the cold and footage of a 3 legged cat! But who knows? Maybe one day!

Any indication of the size of the sphere?

mooks

Frobush said:
I know what you mean Waylander28! I carry my mobile phone primed to recored low quality video each time I venture out - just in case! So far all I've caught is the cold and footage of a 3 legged cat! But who knows? Maybe one day!

Low quality! You like that low quality vib! Okay! Three legged cat, yes, well it's a lot more interesting than the nothing I got! ..... So FAR!!!

And by the way! (old style) It's just Waylander, I hate that 28 bit, it was just an accident, and the merging of the two forum databases! I can still see my old user name! But can't access it! Which incase your wondering, was just Waylander! ;)

Okay 28! I get the message! I'll call you 28 from now on! No problem!

Very difficult to give an exact size based on memory alone taking in to account distance,perpsective and altitude but i could see it clearly in the night sky and at the very most it was perhaps 7 or 8 miles away at that distance it appeared to be about 6 - 10 feet in diameter and became brighter at intervals. I could not discern if the increased brightness was due to it moving closer to my position or if the light was pulsing...looked simular to AAP/UFO footage filmed over Thornhill,Southampton that i since have viewed recorded the previous day(26/07/2007)...see Daily Echo web site or other thread on FT.com...

Hi L_double, thanks for your report. I remember a while ago a pilot flying back from Jersy to Southampton who also spotted a UFO, and within a week, there was a report in The Echo about a (Taped I belive) sighting in Thornhill. They were both this year, a few months back. I'll try Googling and see if I can provide some links or stories.

akaWiintermoon said:
Hi L_double, thanks for your report. I remember a while ago a pilot flying back from Jersy to Southampton who also spotted a UFO, and within a week, there was a report in The Echo about a (Taped I belive) sighting in Thornhill. They were both this year, a few months back.
Are you thinking of the Guernsey UFO?
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29657

Thanks for that rynner, but that's another one to add to the list then. :shock: The pilot in question (From the Jersey sighting.) was also on Richard and Judy ( :oops: Yeah I was watching it! :D ). He described his sighting as yellow and grey, like a huge CD. The bottom was yellow he said, really intensely bright, and the top was shiny too. He said (Iirc.) that the sighting lasted about 20 mins, and that also he radioed it in.

EDIT: Found a small one about the Thornhill UFO, not much info though,
http://www.thisishampshire.net/news/ham ... ampton.php
I must admit, I've seen what he describes in the sky loads of times. A couple of weeks ago I was gazing up at the stars when one just moved. It went off in a perfectly straight line. I've written about seeing one before on this MB too (First time, and that was in Portsmouth.). However, my brother said it was probibly just a satalite. ???

Just found this one:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread293716/pg1
:shock: Now thats impressive. The one flying awayu is closet to what I've seen.

Further edit:
found this on Youtube, presume it's the one in the artical.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TLgwcMxFscQ
That's not what I see, the ones I've seen look just like stars, and only ever at night. Anyway, I thought the video on Youtube looked like helium ballons to me?

That first link doesn't work, akaW...

Thanks for the Feedback Everyone,

After posting the report of my sighting on F.T i spoke to a friend of mine who lives in the city, he mentioned the sighting and subsequent recording of anomolous lights or spheres over the Thornhill district.
I managed to find a recording of the film on a web site for the local rag ' The Daily Echo ' .... the spherical lights or orbs shown in the film are identical to what i saw and moved in exactly the same way..... in retrospect i believe what i percieved was some type of unknown natural phenomenon and i say this not becaue i know this to be a fact but base the statment purely on intuition and gut feeling...but i remain undecided ...

akaWiintermoon said:
I must admit, I've seen what he describes in the sky loads of times. A couple of weeks ago I was gazing up at the stars when one just moved. It went off in a perfectly straight line. I've written about seeing one before on this MB too (First time, and that was in Portsmouth.). However, my brother said it was probibly just a satalite. ???

Yes, more than likely a satellite, or maybe even the ISS which passes over England about 3 times a day. If you see that again, try and get hold of some binoculars, because if it is the ISS, you can see the solar panel arms distinctly through them. I know, I've done it myself when I found out the time for it passing overhead. :D

That would be really cool to see, thanks for the tip HopoUK. :D I know I've got some binoculars somewhere, I'll have to dig them out. :yeay:
Umm, rynner, I'll have to go to the mods on that link as it works fine for me. I'll gather some assistance and hopefully you'll be able to view it soon. :)

No problem Wintermoon.

For satellite tracking, and the ISS and shuttle tracking, NASA have their own tracking system, and can even tell you when they will pass overhead:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/

Just click on SIGHTING OPPORTUNITIES to pick the nearest city to you. :)

Also, there are many web sites that offer tracking. Just type in either ISS tracking, or satellite tracking in the search engine.

Back