• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

Always fancied going to this.

Brits can visit abandoned UK village that opens once a year this summer

Once a year visitors are permitted to return on the annual 'Imber Bus' run - this year on August 19 - providing passengers and relatives of former residents the chance to explore. The bus service began in 2009, picking up passengers in Warminster and running directly over military-owned roads to the site every fifteen minutes.

Last year, more than 2,000 people visited the site, with tickets set to cost just £10 for adults, and £2 for children. Funds from the visits are donated to support the village's abandoned church, St.Giles’s Church, and the Royal British Legion.
1692132046817.png
1692132074945.png

I might have named this place already in this thread ..

A few years ago, we went to visit my parents in France. Without much fanfare, my Dad told us we were going to Oradour Sur Glane, a place I'd never heard of .. (strap yourselves in) ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre

Oadour's a town deliberately frozen in time since '44, people's personal belongings still litter the place, abandoned cars and bicycles in the streets. The town looks like a Spielberg film set except it's real. The link above explains why.

I remember seeing a video of some guys who found one of these huge abandoned mansion developments and they started exploring.
They had to dodge security guards who were still working there (I guess it's to stop people nicking the houses).
They found that these mansions were all poorly made, which may be one reason why they didn't sell.

They had to dodge security guards who were still working there (I guess it's to stop people nicking the houses).

No. It was to stop people trespassing on private property. If the owners can afford security then they've got summat in mind for it - or trying to prevent accidents and being held responsible.
While I love a good exploration of ruins and abandoned places, it must be remembered that being abandoned doesn't mean it's open for public exploration.

Okay, this is a bit weird, and there must be a story there somewhere. For just under two weeks I was walking a little transited branch of the Camino de Santiago (Way of St James) in northern Spain (the Camino Lebaniego-Camino Vadiniense link route, from San Vicente de la Barquera in Cantabria to León). It's a tough route, and not for the unprepared. Anyhow, after crossing the Cantabrian Mountains, my Spanish friend and I dropped onto the baking León plain. After passing Cistierna, we went through a (very) small village called Modino, and on the southern outskirts we came across a small chapel (Santo Cristo del Humilladero y Vera-Cruz - Holy Christ of the Place of Humiliation and True Cross), with the doors padlocked shut; so far, so normal... but... the windows had all been broken by thrown stones (quite unusual, but possible to imagine some vandal doing this). Looking inside, the chapel was obviously still consecrated, altar in place and chairs for the congregation that had not been used for a very long time. What really struck me, is that the crucifix from the altar was flung on the floor in the aisle, quite close to the doors (unfortunately, it doesn't appear in my photos). Someone had been in the chapel to throw that crucifix from the altar, but whoever padlocked the doors shut afterward did not place the crucifix back on the altar. There is an interesting local story there, but I can't find it online...

20230822_081211.jpg

20230822_081148.jpg

20230822_081143.jpg

Last edited:
While on the subject of my recent hiking holiday, on the previous day to passing the chapel shown above, I hiked past an amazing, and extensive, former mining processing plant at Vegamediana, just before Cistierna. I would love to have explored more, but I was at the tail end of a tough 24ish mile hike in oppresive heat, and I was done in. Nevertheless, I took some photos, and poked my nose into one or two of the abandoned residences at least (the site included various processing plant buildings, at least one residential terrace, railway infrstructure, spoil heaps etc.). I uploaded more photos to Wikimedia Commons, but here is a taster:
20230821_163804.jpg

20230821_163814.jpg

20230821_163834.jpg

20230821_164022.jpg

20230821_164357.jpg

20230821_164421.jpg

20230821_164443.jpg

20230821_164740.jpg

20230821_164806.jpg

While on the subject of my recent hiking holiday, on the previous day to passing the chapel shown above, I hiked past an amazing, and extensive, former mining processing plant at Vegamediana, just before Cistierna. I would love to have explored more, but I was at the tail end of a tough 24ish mile hike in oppresive heat, and I was done in. Nevertheless, I took some photos, and poked my nose into one or two of the abandoned residences at least (the site included various processing plant buildings, at least one residential terrace, railway infrstructure, spoil heaps etc.). I uploaded more photos to Wikimedia Commons, but here is a taster:
View attachment 69203
View attachment 69204
View attachment 69205
View attachment 69206
View attachment 69207
View attachment 69208
View attachment 69209
View attachment 69210
View attachment 69211
Interesting pictures, SB. Since I have no geographical knowledge, I searched Vegamediana to see where in the world:).

I found this link of a drone image of the very place.

https://www.360cities.net/image/aer...diana-abandoned-mining-complex-northern-spain

I like trees, I used tree trunks to prop up this old rotting floor when repairing it. :D

Yeah... decades of recuring water damage.

Genuinely shocked that old lag bolt is still straight, and not so rusted it's unusable.

Attachments

• 20230902_173103.png
    20230902_173103.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 20230902_185625.png
    20230902_185625.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230902_173051.png
    20230902_173051.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
I like trees, I used tree trunks to prop up this old rotting floor when repairing it. :D

Yeah... decades of recuring water damage.

Genuinely shocked that old lag bolt is still straight, and not so rusted it's unusable.
What's in the thick black ducting in the first photo M? Not seen that underneath floors before.

(I reckon that bolt would still be good for another hundred years.)

What's in the thick black ducting in the first photo M? Not seen that underneath floors before.

(I reckon that bolt would still be good for another hundred years.)
some sort of corrugated plastic tubing. not really sure why it's here either. It's in storage under the floor, and was never installed. It's large enough you could use it for a dryer vent, but corrugated tubing seems like it'd accumulate too much debris.

Inside creepy abandoned resort island in the Maldives with half-finished hotel and floating villas left to rot

THE Maldives may seem like paradise on earth, offering sun-kissed golden sands and clear-blue seas - but it is also home to an abandoned and rotting resort.

A half-finished hotel and villas have been left to the elements.

maldives-abandoned-resort-paradise-lost-842474284.jpg

There are broken toilets just left lying about and debris litters the floor.

In the video, Brock says: "Apparently it's a major politician in the Maldives who owns this island and construction got underway 12 years ago.

"They were building for two years then for 'political reasons' - we don't really know, ostensibly maybe they ran out of money - they've literally abandoned the project."

maldives-abandoned-resort-paradise-lost-842474369.jpg

He adds: "There's bathtubs in unopened but deteriorating boxes. There's literally piles of toilets stood up over one another and ultimately there's incredible potential for an incredible place here."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/23798278/abandoned-resort-island-maldives/

maximus otter

Inside creepy abandoned resort island in the Maldives with half-finished hotel and floating villas left to rot

THE Maldives may seem like paradise on earth, offering sun-kissed golden sands and clear-blue seas - but it is also home to an abandoned and rotting resort.

In the video, Brock says: "Apparently it's a major politician in the Maldives who owns this island and construction got underway 12 years ago.

"They were building for two years then for 'political reasons' - we don't really know, ostensibly maybe they ran out of money - they've literally abandoned the project."

He adds: "There's bathtubs in unopened but deteriorating boxes. There's literally piles of toilets stood up over one another and ultimately there's incredible potential for an incredible place here."

maximus otter
How would toilets/waste water work somewhere like that I wonder?
A tank underneath?

How would toilets/waste water work somewhere like that I wonder?
A tank underneath?
They have mini sewage plants, the most modern ones can return water after processing fit enough for drinking, I've never been tempted to try it mind you, septic tanks are being replaced nowadays especially near water

maximus otter
Wow Dead Island
1693937924862.jpeg

Last edited:
Back