• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

dbb0ed62-d0f9-48fe-a858-d8faa1db899b.jpg

An abandoned lighthouse by the entrance basin to Leith docks. I was itching to get in but the friend I was with was a bit of a scaredy pants. To be fair, as she said, there were kids around and I shouldn't set a bad example. Although, looking at the artwork I don't think my bad example was particularly necessary.

Last edited:
It does look well vandalised.
Shame really, as that would make a good house.

The strange spacecrafty type thing in Tkachenko's set apparently did actually fly:

The USSR had a lot to answer for. Not developing ekranoplans far enough for them to enter widespread use, for example.

Its looks very much like something to be found in the original Thunderbirds series.

Some snaps I took today of the semi-ruinous Anglia Square shopping centre in Norwich. I often pop down there to rummage through the Poundshops and charity shops that have made it their home. Unlike the rest of Norwich, it looks like East Berlin in the 70's. Here's the massive abandoned office block quietly rotting at the back of it:

eaNBu8Q.jpg

Here's a view from one of the entrances, showing part of the massive abandoned boarded up multistorey carpark:

2HhttAM.jpg

And here's a look into the main shopping centre bit that's still alive:

oRhv4On.jpg

Next time I'm down there I'll take some pics of the unfinished top level.

Yeah, luckily the city centre has never really been redeveloped, so we've got an eclectic hodgepodge of buildings from the last two centuries, some even older, and lots of old churches and pubs dotted around. There are a couple of big modern shopping malls, but even those manage to blend in fairly harmoniously.

Anglia Square has been a running joke for decades. Every few years a consortium will emerge and claim that they're going to buy it up, knock it down, and replace it with something better. Then they figure out how much that will actually cost them, and the whole scheme gets dropped again.

Yeah, luckily the city centre has never really been redeveloped, so we've got an eclectic hodgepodge of buildings from the last two centuries, some even older, and lots of old churches and pubs dotted around. There are a couple of big modern shopping malls, but even those manage to blend in fairly harmoniously.

Anglia Square has been a running joke for decades. Every few years a consortium will emerge and claim that they're going to buy it up, knock it down, and replace it with something better. Then they figure out how much that will actually cost them, and the whole scheme gets dropped again.
I live in Cromer and Norwich is one of the nicest cities I've visited ... I always make my way to Saint Benedict's Street for all the second hand, cult comic and more eccentric shops. There's a nice one called The African Trading Post where you can buy all sorts of exotic meats (although supermarkets starting to do the same thing might have harmed his trade) .. there's a fantastic Fortean shop not far from that's hidden away in a tiny alley and sells all sorts or weird crap, skeletons .. old weapons .. stuffed animals etc that's up a cobbled street, the owner's quite young and tends to jump out on you ... do you know the one graylien ? ..

There's also a very friendly graffiti artist called VHS that I spent some time chatting with on my last training day ..

Yeah, that Fortean shop you speak of is in Elm Hill. There's also a massive bazaar sort of shop in St Benedict's that seems to sell everything from ancient railway signs, to old radios, old tin toys, carvings, skulls, things in jars, and god knows what else. If I was working I'd be in it all the time, but it's a tad beyond my budget right now.

That Norwich site is fascinating - it also has a section on germ warfare experiments in Norwich and elsewhere. The bastards at Porton Down were spraying live bacteria and cadmium out of aircraft, just to show what they could do. The sort of thing that could start rumours of chemtrails...
http://nr23.net/govt/spray.htm

At least we still have something we can press into service to destroy a huge asteroid heading this way.

Urban Explorer discovers abandoned Space Shuttles in hangar in Kazhakstan (with lots of pics)

I didn't even realise the Soviets had built Space Shuttles. According to the article, only one made it into orbit for a brief unmanned flight before the project was mothballed.

8bPkgOT.jpg

There is one in Gorky Park, on the banks of the Moscow river, which makes for what I think is a striking juxtaposition. This might be one for the brain teaser thread, but of the two iconic edifices in this picture, which was built first? (Apologies for the poor photo quality, it's off my phone).

4NN5bw9iUrgLZFkhohy--q58ObiJWN0D_J7uzzBVmAA=w1247-h701-no

Last edited:
More on Dean Quarry:
Dean Quarry 'would bring in up to £190m'

Shire Oak Quarries, which has planning permission for the revamped quarry, aims to extract up to 1.2 million tonnes of stone a year over the next three years.
It commissioned a report by consultant economist Kevin Butler which said it would inject between £140m and £190m into the local economy and create 50 full-time jobs.
Mr Butler said: "It would create new, well paid, non-seasonal jobs and the intention is that the majority of its operating budget would be spent locally, ideally within a 25-mile radius of the quarry. This would create a net positive impact valued at millions of pounds a year."

Cornwall Against Dean Super Quarry is seeking a judicial review into the plans, saying it will affect a marine conservation zone and drive tourists away.

Tim Van Berkel from the Cornish Seaweed Company which harvests in the area, believes the quarry would affect his firm as well as others such as diving and sea salt firms.
"There are going to be big ships coming to the area and if there is an oil spill we would suffer," he said.
"They are also going to dredge the area and it will have a huge impact."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-33405394

"There are going to be big ships coming to the area and if there is an oil spill we would suffer," he said.
But the ships that would use a new Dean Quarry port would not be very big, compared to the big ships and tankers that regularly use Falmouth bay already, only a couple of miles away.

Some more pics from Norwich's semi abandoned shopping centre Anglia Square. Today I went for a wander around the unfinished upper level. This was apparently supposed to be populated with shops, but they were never built.

This dragon fails to make things look much better:

AaEfkUG.jpg

Here's the massive abandoned office block: (why not take a video tour inside!)

8Td4tHT.jpg

And the massive abandoned car park:

sC65LZV.jpg

This cinema is the only going concern up there. Alan Partridge launched his film here:

ychexwa.jpg

Ooh look - there he is!:

imrHsu5.jpg

And finally back down to ground level for some graffiti. What does this even mean? And why the duck?

APzGvSN.jpg

Incidentally, a year ago Anglia Square was sold at a bargain price to yet another property management company. “Anglia Square is a well established district shopping destination with an extremely loyal customer base. The scheme provides for numerous value-add asset management opportunities with major redevelopment potential," they blithered inanely at the time. Since then, they've done absolutely nothing with it.

Last edited:
Some more pics from Norwich's semi abandoned shopping centre Anglia Square. Today I went for a wander around the unfinished upper level. This was apparently supposed to be populated with shops, but they were never built.

This dragon fails to make things look much better:

AaEfkUG.jpg

Here's the massive abandoned office block: (why not take a video tour inside!)

8Td4tHT.jpg

And the massive abandoned car park:

sC65LZV.jpg

This cinema is the only going concern up there. Alan Partridge launched his film here:

ychexwa.jpg

Ooh look - there he is!:

imrHsu5.jpg

And finally back down to ground level for some graffiti. What does this even mean? And why the duck?

APzGvSN.jpg

Incidentally, a year ago Anglia Square was sold at a bargain price to yet another property management company. “Anglia Square is a well established district shopping destination with an extremely loyal customer base. The scheme provides for numerous value-add asset management opportunities with major redevelopment potential," they blithered inanely at the time. Since then, they've done absolutely nothing with it.

I hand picked that exact cinema to go with the missus to watch the Evil Dead remake ... I didn't want to watch it in a glossy polished multiplex with loads of kids texting twitter through the viewing experience, I wanted a sarcastic clerk covered in love bites, a cinema that smelled of piss and to be fear full of the person sitting a few rows behind us .. the only way to watch an Evil Dead remake, same way the first one was released ..

Back