• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

Slough

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!
Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-
A house for ninety-seven down
And once a week a half a crown
For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin
Who'll always cheat and always win,
Who washes his repulsive skin
In women's tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak
And smash his hands so used to stroke
And stop his boring dirty joke
And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add
The profits of the stinking cad;
It's not their fault that they are mad,
They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know
The birdsong from the radio,
It's not their fault they often go
To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars
In various bogus-Tudor bars
And daren't look up and see the stars
But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care
Their wives frizz out peroxide hair
And dry it in synthetic air
And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
To get it ready for the plough.
The cabbages are coming now;
The earth exhales.

John Betjeman

I'm surprised noone's picked up on the word play gag yet. I didn't think it was that bad, considering....:)

Last edited:
I saw that a while back. Spooky.

The Borscht Belt in the Catskill Mountains was once one of the New York’s premiere holiday destinations. Named after the Eastern European soup, during its heyday the Borscht Belt boasted around 500 hundred hotels. Catering to mostly Jewish holiday makers, the so-called ‘Jewish Alps’ were filled with everything from grand hotels and resorts, to more modest bungalow parks and lakeside camp sites.
THEN-

7621839316_7f1f23b7ea_b-930x599.jpg

NOW-

IMG_4313-copy-930x698.jpg

http://www.messynessychic.com/2018/...e-ruins-of-another-doomed-pines-resort-hotel/

Abandoned, Disused & Ruinous Places
Patriarchy, Feminism & Gay Cinema soon to be moved elsewhere.

I hope there was nothing perishable in the boots of those cars

Two cars found in Edinburgh's 'car park of the future' after being TRAPPED for 15 years
PICTURES have emerged showing vehicles that have been trapped for 15 years inside a disused robotic car park in the centre of Edinburgh. A social network user posted images of two cars that were left behind, unclaimed, after the state-of-the-art facility folded in 2003.
By STEPHEN WILKIE
PUBLISHED: 19:14, Mon, Jan 22, 2018 | UPDATED: 19:26, Mon, Jan 22, 2018

cars-trapped-carpark-edinburgh-autosafe-SkyPark-908330.jpg
IEYA404

Fiat Uno and an Austin Maestro trapped in Edinburgh's Autosafe SkyPark
It is understood that liquidators – called in after just two years – locked the doors overnight, leaving a handful of motors still inside.

The £5million Autosafe SkyPark was Britain’s “most technologically advanced car park” when it opened but its owners went into receivership in 2003.

Reddit user ieya404 captured a picture of two cars – a Fiat Uno and an Austin Maestro – from a building opposite the site, which is being redeveloped.

etc

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/908330/cars-trapped-edinburgh-car-park-autosafe-skypark

Somewhere I have wanted to share for some time. John Pound's Scrapyard here in Portsmouth. It's gone now and, depending on what money is available and who's doing the talking, will be affordable housing (unlikely), shops, a marina, bars/cafés, a walkway and a Utopian paradise on the corner of our city. This place used to give me the absolute turning the tummy upside down terrors when I was young. Sitting in the car with my parents driving down the M275 (I think), I used to close my eyes, cover my face with my hands, cry...then have to have a good long look at it.
I think the submarines were the worst. I pictured them full of ghosts, listing into the phlegm-like water, hundreds of trapped souls, their screaming drowned out by the roar of the traffic. The tanks were terrifying, too. The whole area was something from another time. Dead yellow grass on the land, greeny-black water, the surrounding buildings encrusted with a white dust. Horrible.

It's the knowing they were once filled with people, and the rust, and the sea, and the thought of being trapped as water flowed about you in the darkness and the claustrophobic nature of them...All crumbling away, rotting away.

John-Pounds-Scrap-Yard-1.jpg
John-Pounds-Scrap-Yard-11.jpg
John-Pounds-Scrap-Yard-63.jpg
John-Pounds-Scrap-Yard-35.jpg
619710_75919a27f6e1210eef33410002c3b7c8.jpg

John-Pounds-Scrap-Yard-1.jpg

Eurostar train set number 373018 was part of the original group of Eurostar trains built to ply the tunnel under the English Channel. Fundamentally based on the TGV (with a few modifications, such as extra-fireproofing just in case something went wrong in the tunnel), it would rocket up to 186 mph in nothing but supreme smoothness and comfort.

But then the train people bought new trains, and 373018 was officially put into “storage.”

n6ey945yre20x6zovl9w.png

https://jalopnik.com/theres-something-incredibly-creepy-about-an-abandoned-h-1822522268

As Pyeongchang Prepares for the Olympics, a Nearby Ski Resort Sits Abandoned

1z1wy21.jpg

With less than a week left until the opening ceremonies for the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, host officials from Gangwon Province are expressing concern about the long-term maintenance and costs related to the 14 Olympic venues. In part, their concerns are based on a declining interest in skiing among South Koreans since 2012, that has led to the closure of several other facilities nearby. Reuters photographer Kim Hong-Ji visited the derelict Alps Ski Resort in Goseong County, that, after operating for most of the 20th century, shut down in 2006 when too few skiers made the trip into the mountains.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2...cs-a-nearby-ski-resort-sits-abandoned/552350/

Abandoned 70's motel .. this is just screaming to be used as a horror film set or a fan made Terminator film IMO ..

The Gobbler feels like it's escaped from an Austin Powers movie. I love it. Such a shame that the motel is no more. But at least the rotating bar survived.

All that's missing here are velociraptors ..

FULLY WORKING server room in abandoned building. (Highlights)

I saw that a while back. Spooky that it still works and has power connected. You'd think that room would be all locked up if it's still being used for some purpose. Tempting fate, because vandals are everywhere.

I saw that a while back. Spooky that it still works and has power connected. You'd think that room would be all locked up if it's still being used for some purpose. Tempting fate, because vandals are everywhere.
I've watched quite a lot of U.S. based urban explorer videos that have abandoned (and sometimes for many decades) places where the power still works with no one seemingly paying for it .. strip lights, telephone lines etc .. it's weird ..

I didn't write this TripAdvisor review but I so could have, word for word. Some godforsaken post apocalyptic shopping mall in Kendal.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowU...let-Kendal_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html

The picture doesn't convey the awfulness of this place. I went there a couple of years back, for a craft show that ran for a weekend and took over this creepy mall. Apparently it was still open to the public, kinda, yet we had stalls in what should have been shop units...

It felt like the first series of Walking Dead. Fully expected a zombie herd to walk round a corner any second. One of the creepiest, most surreal places I ever went.

I didn't write this TripAdvisor review but I so could have, word for word. Some godforsaken post apocalyptic shopping mall in Kendal.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowU...let-Kendal_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html

The picture doesn't convey the awfulness of this place. I went there a couple of years back, for a craft show that ran for a weekend and took over this creepy mall. Apparently it was still open to the public, kinda, yet we had stalls in what should have been shop units...

It felt like the first series of Walking Dead. Fully expected a zombie herd to walk round a corner any second. One of the creepiest, most surreal places I ever went.
I've just done a fake Dawn Of The Dead review for it .. hopefully it will stay up ..

...it puts me in the mood for a post-apocalyptic Corrie with Ken Barlow as the leader of a gang of cannibal mutants :)

Given the increasingly ridiculous storylines that are now apparently standard in British soaps I reckon this is on the cards for the autumn. Storyline to be resolved when a Boeing 747 piloted by the ghost of Ivy Tilsley crashes on Weatherfield.

Apparently it went bust before they'd put the finishing touches to it so it opened but only has a handful of shops. It has a vast, concrete underground carpark which is equally creepy. It's like thatfirst episode of Walking Dead where Rick goes into the Big City, and at first, all seems well, but then this shambling herd of zombies hoves into view and walk inexorably towards him. You totally had this feeling of being in that split second before the first zombie walked round the corner. Then the shopping centre itself - actually scarier than the carpark.

Back