• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Advertisements in FT - Suggestions Invited

Do we really need the advert for the massager that will get an org*sm out of a stone? Other than that, I just ignore the ads, flipping past them to the letters page. Besides, I am highly unlikely to order something from an English magazine while I live in Australia...

47Forteans said:
Do we really need the advert for the massager that will get an org*sm out of a stone? Other than that, I just ignore the ads, flipping past them to the letters page. Besides, I am highly unlikely to order something from an English magazine while I live in Australia...

That advert is a classic, it's been in magazines, unchanged, for years! Look at the quotes on the ad, it's a long time since the "Good Sex Guide" was on telly.

What are you talking about? I've bought four over the last few years. They wear out quickly but it's worth it as my rockery has never looked so happy.

I was unaware that Mick Jagger et al needed so much encouragement to reach the vinegar stroke, must be an age thing.

escargot1 said:
What are you talking about? I've bought four over the last few years. They wear out quickly but it's worth it as my rockery has never looked so happy.

:lol:

47Forteans said:

Just how many org*sms do rocks really need?!

as many as they can get! :blissed: Rocks are people to you know!

Why is the word orgasm considered a profanity? You'd have to be a "special" kind of person who considers the word orgasm to be offensive.

It was offensive in the 40s when that advert was first run.

Stormkhan said:
Why is the word orgasm considered a profanity? You'd have to be a "special" kind of person who considers the word orgasm to be offensive.

Well, I was having a little fun quoting the actual advert...

Stormkhan said:

Depends how long you've been single I guess.

Hello Ladies and Gents,

My name is Ciaran and I work on the ads team at FT. It's good to be able to get in touch with you all and get direct feedback on what we're doing on the advertising team.

As David mentioned, i'm keen to hear from you as to what you would like to see advertised in the mag so we can make it more relevent to you.

I understand that some of the products and services that currently run will not be to everyone's taste. I'm sure you understand that with FT having such a wide ranging audience of readers with different interests, we have to try and cater to everyone.

I certainly like the idea of having a 'small personal ad' section in the magazine and I will look into this further, perhaps with a standard 'cost per word' format. Obviously, by sacrificing one of our current ad pages, i'd have to be sure there was sufficient interest in having this section, so more feedback on this idea would be great.

Book ads, tours, and educational courses also seem to be popular from what I've read so far. Are there specific areas of interest or genres that are particularly popular?

I really appreciate your feedback on this as we do try to make sure that our ads are relevent and of interest to everyone. Obviously we can't cater for everyone at the same time due to people's different interests, but by doing this i'm hoping to get a small snapshot of what you all would like to see in the magazine and i'll do my best to get it for you over the coming months.

Cheers,

Ciaran

If it keeps my fav mag running then i am not to fussed if you carry adds for vibs n legal highs.

titch said:
If it keeps my fav mag running then i am not to fussed if you carry adds for vibs n legal highs.

I have to say I'm of this mind too. As long as the advert isn't objectionable, I'm unlikely to take notice, but ultimately magazines need advert revenue.

The content is still at the heart of the magazine unlinke some magazines where the articles almost seem to be interrupting the adverts so I'm not fussed.

Obviously if the ad execs who buy the space in the mag ask, we all buy the magazine for the adverts...... ;)

FTAds said:
... I'm sure you understand that with FT having such a wide ranging audience of readers with different interests, we have to try and cater to everyone.

Ciaran:

I understand that, and I accept it. However ... It strikes me that there's something of a disconnect between the idea of 'catering to everyone' and the relatively narrow range of interests / themes evidenced by the ads we see each month. As such, I still think we could more effectively respond if you would share some basic facts with us:

- What are FT's target and actual (to the extent known ...) reader demographics?

- How does your ad team describe and portray FT when soliciting advertisers?

- How does your ad team describe and portray the FT readership population when soliciting advertisers?

titch said:

I agree, if it makes the magazine money and is not illegal then I'm not too fussed. Didn't like the gun ads we had a few years ago though.

What about food companies? I expect many of us would like to buy may be organic, different, interesting food.

I'll jump on this passing bandwagon. I don't like the "Herbal Supplements" or even the Goth Couture ads, but I just tend to ignore them. I would like to see a marketplace/small ads section, though. I understand those things can be difficult to make money on in a monthly mag.

As long as it keeps coming. With or without the aid of a "personal massager".

How about ads that appeal to those, erm, you know, bumpy chaps? What're they called - women, or something? There have definitely been sightings of women by FT readers because that's what the massager is used for. Women.

Anyway, I was thinking of food advertising. Women can ignore most types of advertising except those that show food.

Also, it's telling that while we joke about the massager we've all pored over the wording until we know it by heart. I sense a gap in the market here - where are my Cthulhu-shaped marital aids? :lol:

escargot1 said:
Anyway, I was thinking of food advertising. Women can ignore most types of advertising except those that show food.

I assume you mean food ads for things such as devilled eggs and monster munch. Rather than the foods women really want, like chocolate covered pork products.

(trust me, next time you have access to a chocolate fountain, stick a pepperami in it, it sounds so wrong, but it tastes sooooo right)

escargot1 said:
How about ads that appeal to those, erm, you know, bumpy chaps? What're they called - women, or something? There have definitely been sightings of women by FT readers because that's what the massager is used for. Women.

I am told that there are some men out there who like that sort of thing. Not in my house, it isn't!

Has any research been done on the readership profile? My guess would be it is considerably older than the ads' apparent target audience.

If you can show that the average FT reader is (say) a 45 year old with substantial disposable income you could attract much higher quality advertisers.

Anyway, I'd reiterate what others have said regarding books, classified, lonely-hearts ads etc. I also suspect there would be a market for computing/ high tech hardware.

More targeted music advertising. Rare vinyl record shops and rare offbeat music compilations. Off beat music gigs and tours by cult bands. I'm thinking more Hawkwind, Ozzric Tentacles, Stiff Records, Two Tone, Folk, psychedelia, etc. than Justin Bieber and U2.

I think more variety in advertising would be good, although I understand that a lot of companies not somewhat on the fringe would probably not see us as a viable demographic. Personally the adverts as they are don't particularly bother me, but mostly because I know I'm never gonna buy anything from them so I'm just ignoring them.

Back