• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alan Moore

Inhabitant

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
[Emp edit; As this is the general Alan Moore thread I'm re-editting the start to point you to relevant threads looking at aspects of Mooriana:

Alan Moore's "Watchmen"
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14963

V for Vendetta film
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25206

Promethea: Did She Exist?
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15942

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Plagerized from Hollywood
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10974

The Mindscape of Alan Moore
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16499

IPC Comics Bought By Wildstorm: Alan Moore To Write Miniseries
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16898

and the general Comics thread:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=785

Interviews:
www.blather.net/articles/amoore/

Also see his Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore

Now back to the initial post:

_____________________________________]

...I wanted to write a letter to him. Anyone happen to know of a reliable and suitable address (agent, publisher in UK etc) to contact him by?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure how contactable he is, but if you sent a letter to his publishers that might work. You might also see him if you were in North Hampton wandering about, but don't follow him into the bathroom as happened at one of his few American con apperances supporting Watchmen, and it helped sour him on the whole thing....

I wasn't actually planning on becoming a stalker, but thanks for the warning.

I was thinking of writing c/o America's Best Comics, but it seemed a bit ridiculous to send a letter from London to Northampton via California!

Here is what the ALAN MOORE FAN SITE had to say:

How can I contact Alan Moore?

In general, you can't.

Alan Moore likes his privacy. Unless you live near Alan Moore in England (as he rarely leaves his home town of Northampton), or know someone in the industry who's willing to put their ability to contact Moore on the line for you, your chances aren't good.

Interviews conducted with Moore are either by phone, in person or through written correspondence (he still writes his scripts on a typewriter, as opposed to a computer). Additionally, he doesn't surf the Internet. So it's unlikely at present that he'll even view responses placed on this site (or any site), so leaving a message for him probably will not help, but feel free to try.

All is not hopeless though. Your best bet, if you're trying to contact Moore, is to write one of the comic book series that he's currently writes for.

If you'd like to send a letter to the editors of PROMETHEA, TOM STRONG, TOM STRONG'S TERRIFIC TALES or THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: VOL. 2 series, the address information is:

(Place title of book here)
c/o America's Best Comics
7910 Ivanhoe St., #438
La Jolla, CA 92037

Or you can send an email to the letters columns of these books. The email addresses are:

PROMETHEA: [email protected]
TOM STRONG: [email protected]
TOM STRONG's TERRIFIC TALES: [email protected]
THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: [email protected]

Also, Moore's daughters, Amber and Leah, logged onto a Comicon messageboard once (06/03/99), and answered questions on behalf of their father in order to gather feedback for him. Their logon name was "hi there".

Furthermore, Moore is a frequent contributor to Wizard Magazine and Fortean Times. You could attempt relaying a message to him through them.

Please DO NOT ask me, Stephen Camper, the maintainer of this site, to relay messages to Mr. Moore. If I did possess the ability to contact Moore, chances are it was with the stipulation that such means of contact not be given out to the masses, and the last thing I'd want to do is jeopardize that. Use the above procedures instead.

Oh well; c/o America's Best Comics it is then!

Get yourself a subscription to 192.com

There's about 10 Alan Moores in the Northampton area, a couple of which sound like they could be him.

Knowing he is politically motivated, i would have thought he's on the electoral role, and that's where they get the details from.

So, instead of writing a letter to Wildstorm, which is 99.9% likely to file your letter under "T", you've got a 1/10 chance of hitting the nail. Ah, no go on: PM me if you want me to do the search and i'll copy 'n' paste the results to you...

It's also a very handy low-level stalking tool for ex's, old school friends, pop stars and the like :D

OK, enough already!

I guess you feel that my comments are in someway unnecessarily invasive? In response to that i'd say that 192.com is a public website, that doesn't provide information that you wouldn't be able to get normally. It just puts it under one roof. My comment about the stalking thing was tongue-in-cheek, so maybe that's where the reproach came from? If so - sorry you feel that way!

TMS

TMS said:
OK, enough already!

I guess you feel that my comments are in someway unnecessarily invasive? In response to that i'd say that 192.com is a public website, that doesn't provide information that you wouldn't be able to get normally. It just puts it under one roof. My comment about the stalking thing was tongue-in-cheek, so maybe that's where the reproach came from? If so - sorry you feel that way!

TMS
aren't smilies amazingly powerfully little things?

I'd also not reallt recommend sending off multiple letters to Alan Moores in that area - its only going to annoy people and it will encourage the actual Alan Moore to remove his name from the register.

I'd recommend a better route you contact relevant publishers and try and contact his agent or get them to pass the letter along.

How are they going to know?

yeah, right, whatever Emps.

Let's say my name is "John Smith". I get 1 letter from a random member of the public expressing *whatever it may be*, clearly not directed at me. I'm John Smith of JS Plumbing services, not the John Smith noted for his dearth of books.

Do i report this letter to the local post office? No wait, i'll go into the phone book and speak to every other J Smith to find out if they too have received a letter. Then i waste hours of my time forming an action group to pillory the sender of the mail (assuming he's left an address or god forbid a phone number).

Probably not i'd say. More likely to chuck it in the bin, or phone / call and say - wrong John Smith. That's human nature.

9 out of 10 publishers bin letters as soon as they receive them. Especially from fanboy types, so i suggested the most practical way to maybe get the message through.

And if the letter gets through and AM himself reads it, what's he going to do? Maybe ask one of his PC using acquaintances if there's been suspicious electronic activity asking for his whereabouts?

And if he does take his name off the role, then so what? I suppose that would stop more "applicable" people sending him unsolicited mail? Bit of a circular argument IMHO...

Thats of course assuming you are the first person to have that idea.

If he values his privacy so much then I'd assume he would have made sure he wouldn't be listed on the publically available electoral roles.

Emperor said:
I'd also not reallt recommend sending off multiple letters to Alan Moores in that area - its only going to annoy people and it will encourage the actual Alan Moore to remove his name from the register.

I'd recommend a better route you contact relevant publishers and try and contact his agent or get them to pass the letter along.

I'm not entirely sure how the writer Alan Moore is going to get wind that other Alan Moores in the area have been receiving letters meant for him. Do they have a club or something?

I hardly think sending someone a letter constitutes an invasion of their privacy.

Thanks for the recommendation of "a better route", which was originally what I was going to do anyway.

Inhabitant said:
I'm not entirely sure how the writer Alan Moore is going to get wind that other Alan Moores in the area have been receiving letters meant for him. Do they have a club or something?

Well I suppose they might ;)

What I really meant was that if he starts receiving a lot of unsolicited letters like (and this idea must have occured to numerous people) that and he does value his privacy he might just start binning them and he would probably be less receptive to such approaches.

Ok, your best bet is to email Rich Johnston, a comics gossip journalist, and ask him for the best way to get in contact, as he has links with pretty much everyone in the business.

He can be reached at [email protected] and is a nice bloke, so he'll probably be able to give you the right kind of advice.

Emperor said:
Well I suppose they might ;)

What I really meant was that if he starts receiving a lot of unsolicited letters like (and this idea must have occured to numerous people) that and he does value his privacy he might just start binning them and he would probably be less receptive to such approaches.

Hm. So if you want to write to Alan Moore, don't; because the fact that you're writing to him makes it less likely that you can write to him. :confused:

Inhabitant said:
Hm. So if you want to write to Alan Moore, don't; because the fact that you're writing to him makes it less likely that you can write to him. :confused:

Nope I'm saying the best way to write to him is to try approaching publishers and his agent not writing letters to any Alan Moore in the area in the hope that one might be him and he might be in the mood for reading unsolicited mail sent to his home.

Alistair P said:
Ok, your best bet is to email Rich Johnston, a comics gossip journalist, and ask him for the best way to get in contact, as he has links with pretty much everyone in the business.

He can be reached at [email protected] and is a nice bloke, so he'll probably be able to give you the right kind of advice.

Cheers for that - I'll give it a go.

Alright - at last something I haven't seen is to be published about Watchmen!

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29994

WIZARDWORLD LA: WATCHMEN GOES ABSOLUTE

Announced at today’s “Beyond the DC Universe” panel at WizardWorld LA was the next addition to DC’s very successful “Absolute” line this fall: Absolute Watchmen. The new edition of the classic Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons story is currently being adapted to the larger, “Absolute” format and recolored by original colorist John Higgins. The edition is being produced with the blessing of Alan Moore.

The edition will run 464 pages (and will also double as a blunt object if need be), and will be a complete reprinting not of the original series as published by DC, but of the Graphitti edition, a collection published by Graphitti in the late ‘80s that included 48 pages of extra material.

Speaking of the artist, we spoke with Gibbons briefly about the forthcoming collection. As many already confess to be, Gibbons is also a fan of the publisher’s “Absolute” format, and was thrilled when he learned that DC wanted top present Watchmen in this manner.

“As an artist, I love the Absolute books,” Gibbons said. “The pages have much more impact at the large size and the production values are first rate. In fact, many of the foreign editions of Watchmen were done at this larger, album size, so I have a really good idea of how it will look already.

“The Absolute volume also gives us the chance to digitally remaster the coloring and correct a few mistakes that have always bugged us. We're not going to redraw or change the look of the book in any way; we'll just bring it closer to what we had in mind all those years ago.

”The coloring is being exactly reproduced from the regular edition, then original colorist John Higgins is tweaking the digital files before sending them to me for final approval. Back in the day, John lived a few miles away from me and would bring color guides over to discuss with me. Today, he lives a few miles from DC and is in close contact with them on technical matters, whilst thanks to the wonders of technology; I get daily pages for approval.

”Everything is looking really good, crisper and more vibrant than ever and it's great to be working with John again.”

Gibbons won’t be adding any new material for the upcoming edition, but he will be designing the package, giving it an authentic feel. “The material that has only so far appeared in the Graphitti hardcover edition will include many sketches, designs, the original pitch, script pages and an ‘outro’ by Alan and I. Most of the readers won't have seen this before.”

As the 2004 Bookscan numbers attested (and agreed with years before), despite closing in on twenty years old, the collected edition of the 12-issue series continues to be a best seller for DC, and to the continual surprise of Gibbons. “All we ever set out to do was a comic book we'd like to read,” the artist said. “It's gratifying to see that others continue to do so.

“I think it's become one of those books that are recommended reading for people just getting in to comics. The fact that it's self-contained is a bonus, since no previous knowledge of continuity is required and it has a clear resolution.”

And of course, as part of that, Watchmen, to this day, continues generating revenue for its creators. Or, as Gibbons puts it: “It keeps selling, so we keep getting checks!”

For the foreseeable future, Absolute Watchmen will be Gibbons’ only involvement with the property, as he has nothing to do with the currently in-production film based on the comic.

“I have no involvement, although it's being made close by in England. I'd be interested to see what they're doing but I don't know that they'd want me hanging around making suggestions any more than I'd have the time to do so!”

The trailer for The Mindscape of Alan Moore is online:

http://www.alanmoorefansite.com/news/mar2005.html#mindscape

Shadowsnake Films recently released a promotional trailer for The Mindscape of Alan Moore film by DeZ Vylenz — a psychedelic journey with the acclaimed writer as contemporary shaman having the power to transform consciousness and society.

Alan Moore — writer, artist and performer — is the world's most critically acclaimed and widely admired creator of comic books and graphic novels. In The Mindscape of Alan Moore, we see a portrait of the artist as contemporary shaman, someone with the power to transform consciousness by means of manipulating language, symbols and images. The film leads the audience through Moore's world with the writer himself as guide, beginning with his childhood background, following the evolution of his career as he transformed the comics medium, through his immersion in a magical worldview where science, spirituality and society are part of the same universe. The Mindscape of Alan Moore is an audiovisual document of utmost relevance in the wake of recent global developments.

The film does not have full scale distribution yet, but talks are underway with various distributors for a DVD release. Original music by Drew Richards, with additional The RZA, Bill Laswell & Alan Douglas, Lustmord, and Spectre.

An interview:

9 November 2005 02:31

Alan Moore: Could it be magic?

Hollywood may love Alan Moore, but the cult graphic novelist sets his artistic sights higher. Roz Kaveney talks to him about Kabbala, comics and consciousness

Northampton is one of those towns in the heart of England, up the line from Berkhamsted and Milton Keynes, that seem ordinary until you know their history. The first Parliament was declared here, and the neighbourhood was the location of crucial battles in both the Wars of the Roses and the Civil War. It is the sort of quiet, extraordinary place where the flowing hair and beard of Alan Moore pass unremarked. He has always lived there, and they don't notice him any more.

Moore has changed the face of graphic novels, so that we hardly talk about "comics" any more, but that, luckily, does not make him a celebrity. "It means nothing if a million people know your name," he says. "I didn't sign up for that." One of the many themes which have permeated his work since he first started to be noticed for his issues of DC Comics Swamp Thing in the early 1980s is his distaste for the way the mass media turn sometimes quite ordinary people into celebrities, "fuel rods for the Murdoch empire", then spit them out as drug-addicted or merely boring, only to rediscover them years later as ironic icons. The work is what is important: if Moore's name is something that the industry uses to shift product, that is because Watchmen, V for Vendetta, From Hell, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and all the rest are outstanding, inventive pieces of work.

His house is just one of a long brick terrace; inside, it is blue and starry. His bath is on a Hollywood scale: a friend who works in fibre-glass got on the wrong side of the local heavies, and Moore settled his debt and took it out in trade. This is the house of a working writer; cases of editions of his work litter the office floor. It is also the home of a working magician, decorated with ritual wands from the Golden Dawn, falcon masks and the haunting art of the occultist Austin Osman Spare. This makes for an appropriately strange setting for the recluse whom Iain Sinclair has described as "the last sane man in England".

"Magic and Art are the same," he affirms. "Which is why Magic is referred to as The Great Art. They are both technologies of Will, both about pulling rabbits out of hats and creating something where there was nothing." Moore and the artist J H Williams have just published the fifth and final volume of Promethea (America's Best Comics/Titan, £24.99), which is partly a superhero comic about a young woman coming into mystic power at the end of the second millennium, and partly a course of instruction in magic and the occult. It is funny and exciting, and somehow you don't feel quite the same after reading it; it's a book that leaves you with a sense of the connectedness of things. A bestselling piece of commercial art, Promethea is also as much Moore's grimoire as the two CDs of his ritual performances, The Highbury Working and Snakes and Ladders.

"Books of magic are always written in high metaphor," he explains. "They are about our relationship to consciousness and how we construe it." Consciousness is the hole in rationalism. You cannot reproduce it in a laboratory, which is why some rationalist philosophers like Dan Dennett try to deny the shared experience of knowing that there is a "how" to how we feel. For Moore, magic is a way of breaking the paradigm, of making sense of our lives as we live them.

He is distrustful of many things about magic and the occult: "When I talk about Kabbala, it is a coherent system for organising our understanding of things and the connections between them, not wearing a red string on your wrist or drinking expensive bottled water." One of the most beautiful sections of Promethea is a prolonged wander through the Sephirothim, the realms of reality described by the Kabbala, which are cognate with the planets of non-predictive astrology and with the effects of colour on our moods. Thus, one issue is largely green and discusses that oceanic feeling of belonging and being nurtured that is associated with Venus; it is also Williams's tribute to the swirly softness of Alphonse Mucha and much Underground art of the 1960s.

Promethea was also about setting himself and Williams challenges. After the episode in which they had presented the history of the world as a tarot deck, it had to be a matter of ever-escalating virtuoso explorations of different styles of comics and of occult art. The last issue, for example, in which everything we have learned about magic is recapitulated, is designed both page by page, and to fold out as two large posters of Promethea.

"One of the problems with the occult is the vested interest of most occultists in obfuscation," says Moore. "They sell the possibilities of magic short and lose touch with reality." In Promethea, partly because it is also a high-octane story about the misunderstood Sophie Bangs (whom the FBI are chasing for fear that she will destroy the world), Moore is free to talk more or less clearly about what, for example, the end of the world means. As Promethea, Sophie does, in a sense, end the world; she makes everyone see things in a new light: "It was always going to be a book about Apocalypse. Then issue 17, which had as its teaser for the next issue Panic in Manhattan, Hell on Earth, appeared in mid- September 2001."

Promethea is only one, though perhaps the most interesting, of the projects Moore has been doing for his imprint America's Best Comics. There is Tom Strong, with its deliberate evocation of a more innocent era of chunky, brilliant heroes who make peace with menaces as often as they fight them. There is The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, a piece of cynical Victoriana in which Alan Quartermain, Mina Harker, Captain Nemo, Mr Hyde and the Invisible Man join forces against Chinese warlords and Martian invaders, and there is the sardonic anthology series, Terrific Tales.

My personal favourite is Top Ten and its just-published prequel The 49ers, which are smart, humane and funny, but also a nuanced meditation on the "heroic" part of the concept of the superhero. They are, effectively, a version of The Bill or Hill Street Blues set in Neopolis, where everyone is a superhero, a robot, a vampire or a god. "I had been thinking about why superhero team-up comics almost never work," says Moore, "and I think it is because you have to set your team against ever-escalating menaces. And I had been thinking about the ensemble in cop shows."

This is, quite possibly, one of Alan Moore's swansongs in the traditional comics industry. Gerald Jonas in his book Men of Tomorrow documented the way that the creators of comics' most enduring icons - Superman and Batman - were cheated by businessmen who had a more than passing association with the Mafia. Things may have changed, but not enough. "Proper grown-up writers have a moral right to their work - it says so right there on the page," says Moore.

Specifically, he hates the way that many of his colleagues get excited when a wonderful comic book gets turned into a worthless movie franchise. He is in the process of severing his links with DC as a result of a press release which said that he was enthusiastic about the forthcoming film of V for Vendetta. On the contrary, "I have made it clear that I want nothing to do with films of my work. I don't want my name on them and I insist that the money go to other creators."

In 2006, Moore and his partner Melinda Gebbie will be publishing Lost Girls, a graphic novel that explores the erotic and the pornographic; it is startling and innovative, and the artwork is quite remarkably beautiful.

In the summer of 1914, at a spa in Austria, three women of varying ages meet, and talk about their sexual awakenings. Since the three women in question are Alice, Wendy and Dorothy - the protagonists of three of the most metaphor-rich children's books of literary history - their conversations stray into some weird and wonderful territory. "Why can't a pornographic graphic novel be as fine as anything in the field, and still be sexy?" Moore asks. For all his disillusion with the actual industry, Alan Moore is as in love as ever with the wonderful possibilities of hybrid comics to do things that no other art form can manage.

---------------
Biography

Alan Moore was born in 1953 in Northampton, where he still lives. In the 1970s he co-founded an underground magazine, Embryo. He came to prominence as a comics writer with the dystopian V for Vendetta (1982). Working for DC Comics in the 1980s, he created Swamp Thing and Watchmen. In 1988, Watchmen became the first graphic work to win a Hugo science-fiction award. He also contributed influential new stories for Batman and Superman. After 1988, Moore worked for small companies, producing graphic novels such as From Hell. Moore now has his own imprint, America's Best Comics, a vehicle for series such as The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Promethea, the final volume of which has just appeared. Adaptations of his work include the films of From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, with a film of V for Vendetta due next year. In 2006, Moore and his partner, Melinda Gebbie, will publish their erotic graphic novel, Lost Girls.

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/book ... 324487.ece

Blimey, a mainstream interview with Moore.Not seen one of those for a while.

Glad to see Lost Girls finally getting a decent release, shame he couldn't have written Albion instead of just plots but hey ho.

His most important output.

March of the Sinister Ducks (Single recorded by The Sinister Ducks, 1983)

Found in MP3 form in a link archived here.
http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2004_ ... rchive.asp

Near the bottom.

Nasty and small: undeserving of life.
Ducks. Ducks. Quack-quack. Quack-quack.
They'll sneer at your hairstyle and sleep with your wife.
Dressed in plaid jackets and horrible shoes,
Getting divorces and turning to booze.
Ducks. Ducks. Quack-quack. Quack-quack

Back