• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Albino & Leucistic Humans (Pigmentation Deficiency)

And this type of brutal torture - murder is supposed to rid the albino's of demons - evil spirits. Sounds more likely the bunch who perpetrated the horrible crime are possessed.
Stop making excuses for these crimes. These people aren't possessed by an evil spirit beyond that of their own greed. They will sell the body parts at a profit, and despite of, or perhaps because of the implicit cannibalism, their customers will pay for the "remedies".

Details of recent atrocities in Malawi.

An Irish GP surgery is helping people with albinism in Malawi, as they face not only health issues but are also in danger of being kidnapped and murdered for their body parts.

Dr Mark Wheeler, of Edenpark GP surgery in Raheny in Dublin, works with people who have albinism in Malawi. The GP, along with his wife, set up a skin cancer prevention programme back in 2016. They were also aided by local campaigners and clinicians. People with albinism who live in Sub-Saharan Africa face numerous issues. They have little to no pigmentation or melanin in their skin, which means they are at increased risk of sunburn, sun damage and skin cancer.

They are also at risk of getting kidnapped and being murdered, due to locally held beliefs that their body parts can be used in potions and charms by witch doctors.

Dr Wheeler says one of the people who attended the skin cancer prevention clinic for years was recently murdered and dismembered.

"He was abducted, and his torso was found dumped in a field and his other body parts were later recovered. He had been completely dismembered. A week later there was an attempted abduction of a 12-year-old girl who also attended our programme. The perpetrators are local people generally, they are very poor people who are being offered a lot of money to do something like this." ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40238522.html

Guinness has certified a British family's six sons and daughters as the largest set of albino siblings in the world.
British family earns Guinness World Record for most albino siblings

A British family of six brothers and sisters with albinism was awarded a Guinness World Record in the category of most albino siblings.

Coventry, England, residents Naseem Akhtar, Ghulam Ali, Haider Ali, Muqadas Bibi, Musarat Begum and Mohammed Rafi received the title after Guinness World Records confirmed all six siblings were born with albinism ...

Naseem Akhtar, whose parents also have albinism, said she decided to apply for the record to celebrate the family being reunited after several months apart during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Over time, I have now come to like my condition because it makes me very unique. Being Asian but being white, it gives me a unique outlook on life, it gives me a very unbiased opinion of society and humanity" ...
SOURCE (With Family Photo): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/12/30/Guinness-World-Records-most-albino-siblings/4521640887463/

I don't think there is a thread for albino people ...

Hmmmm ... You were right. :thought:

A thread dedicated to albinism / leucism in humans has been assembled from the forum archives, and your post is 'there' (here) now.

It's tough being an albino in Somalia.

Referring to the stigma he faces in Somalia because he has albinism, 25 year-old Elmi Bile Mohamed says: "People tell me I am a cannibal and that I will eat their children. They are terrified of me."

Mr Mohamed has struggled to find a place to live in the capital, Mogadishu, since leaving his rural home in the central region of Hiraan. His brothers also suffer from the condition.

"We were continuously insulted and tortured by our community. We were beaten up and mocked for the pale colour of our skin, hair and eyes," he says. "I thought I would find a better life in Mogadishu but I was wrong."

Mr Mohamed searched and searched for a room in a shared house but was rejected at every turn. He ended up paying $30 (£23) a month to live in a storage shed in Hamar Weyne district, the oldest part of the city.

"People think I am cursed," he says. "They often throw a mixture of salt water and raw eggs onto my doorstep because they believe this will protect them from me."

Mr Mohamed eventually found a job as a cleaner in a restaurant earning between $1.40 and $4 (£3) a day.
It didn't last long.

He was fired after customers stopped going to eat there, saying they feared he would infect them with albinism even though it is not a contagious disease, rather a genetic condition.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66221755

From the horrific to the quotidian: there is a family of albino African Americans living in Richmond, CA, or there was circa 2000 and thereabouts. I used to ride the #72 bus of A(lameda) C(ounty) Transit pretty often and saw one or two of them on the bus occasionally--light pink people, like extremely fair-skinned Caucasians, with light blonde Afro hair and pronounced African-American facial features. I don't think they had to worry about their body parts being poached, though.

Back