• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Blunt was even a phoney when it came to his art 'expertise'.*

*...says the twit who has no 0-Levels.

*...says the twit who has no 0-Levels.
Ahh, O Levels. The memory still terrifies me, yet I feel sorry for them. Unceremoniously dumped in favour of GCSE’s.
I took a handful when I was 15 instead of the usual 16 years old and on passing thought I would go into an A level class after the summer holidays. No says the school, took the same O Levels with a different board in the following Easter with similar results only to have to take them again with the original board in the summer at 16 years old with the rest of my year group. The wonders of a secondary modern education. 9 O Levels in only three subjects, Maths, English and Physics. And they wonder why I didn’t want to stay on until I was 18?

https://www.schooldash.com/school/126673/

It was all boys when I attended. I left there the summer of 79 aged 16.

I recently bought City of the Beast after (I'm sure) it received a glowing review in FT. I'm not really into it though so it'll be up on ebay in a week or two.
If anyone's read any other good, RECENT books about Crowley I'd love to know about them.
I just wanted to add to this earlier post to revise my opinion on that book. It's actually really good, despite the bizarre printing where most of the page is blank and the text is in a tiny font.

The main qualification for espionage seems to have been a posh accent.
Works both ways of course: a posh enough demeanour will buy you protection if you're revealed to have been actually spying for the Russians.
Two words - Anthony Blunt.
Well, Blunt was an art historian (employed by the royal family at one point) and being able to speak another language fluently, greatly helps as well of course - which, especially back then, would only really be the preserve of the upper classes.

(I've got my suspicions about some of the bilingual/multilingual lot on here to be honest)..............

Back