• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Aliens in a graveyard! or a garden in London..

Thanks, rajajuju -- I'd forgotten about this!
Over at Rense.com, the jury is still out:

http://www.rense.com/general39/fake.htm

I think this board even had a discussion
about them at one point...

Yes, fake -- but very well done, actually!
I mess around with "Nightshot" quite a bit,
so the use of night-vision looks pretty authentic.
The video "stills" (if that is what they are) are just
a bit too posed, however -- and there is no motion blur
or artifacting.

Finally, why did the ET's let the video guy
(IIRC, it was shot by an Italian male) get that close to them?
Even though it was supposedly shot in 1999, no
actual video has ever surfaced.

Pity.

TVgeek

So, are they zombie or vampire greys....? :D

Actually, I thought the (faked) nightvision was very poorly done and its the first thing that clued me into the fakeness (after the posable grey statues)

True nightvision doesnt use light, and if you look at the photos you can clearly see light being emitted from something, as it glares brightly off the leaves, or the fence or other objects. ALSO! Nightvision reacts with the reflectivity of the iris - which makes people look as if their eyes are "glowing" like a dog or cat at night... but since greys dont have any iris, there should be no reflection at all - especially not a glare like the one in the photo of the alien through the fence, which also clearly is using some kind of light source.

rajajuju said:
True nightvision doesnt use light, and if you look at the photos you can clearly see light being emitted from something, as it glares brightly off the leaves, or the fence or other objects.

Actually, Sony's Nightvision works from an
infrared light placed at the front of the camera...
it is like shining a spotlight, but it is invisible to the
human eye. That is part of what I've been
experimenting with... using remote controls and such
as light sources. It truly looks exactly like the photos!

Contrary to popular belief, the Nightshot
cameras are no longer sensitive enough to read
body heat... that is to prevent "x-ray vision"
in videos taken of people wearing light weight clothing. ;)

TVgeek

thats funky! :wtf:

but how would you explain the specular glare on the eyeball of the grey in the photo of him through the fence? :sceptic:

Well, these photos could've been doctored in Photoshop to look like nightvision images. If the models had shiny eyes and a bright light was shone on them (used to compensate for the poor lighting), this would explain the highlight - which of course could be exaggerated in the Photoshop process, especially if some contrast and sharpening was added to the image. As PShop user of many years myself, this sort of thing would barely take an hour to knock up from some basic digital photos.

Yet again, we have some more rather ropey fakes.

rajajuju said:

but how would you explain the specular glare on the eyeball of the grey in the photo of him through the fence? :sceptic:
I'm more interested in the fact that the grey, posed peeping through the fence appears to be depicted at, more or less, 'actual size' in the photo.

Oh! And the gravestones shown, in an other photo, seem to have been borrowed from 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'.

:p

rajajuju said:

I'm with TVGeek on most of this. A lot of modern camcorders have a "night vision" capability. Basically this consists of a near-infrared (NIR) illuminator which is invisible to the human eye. The silicon CCD that forms the core of a camcorder is potentially sensitive to wavelengths out as far as ~1 micron. This means that it can observe objects at night that have been illuminated by the NIR light, but which to the casual observer are still in "the dark." The specular glint in the eye of the "grey" is exactly that. It is a specular reflection off the (plastic?) eye from the NIR illuminator built in to the camera. No major mystery there I'm afraid.

If you have a camcorder, try filming an IR remote control (pushing buttons, etc.) in the dark. ;)

By the way, for a camera to see thermal infrared radiation (e.g. body heat) it has to be sensitive beyond 3.5 microns. It's a common misconception that infrared=thermal, but a silicon CCD has a longwave cut-off at best at ~1050 nm, which is well below the thermal regime, and hence no consumer camera (including the Sony Nightshot) has the ability to detect the heat of ambient temperature objects. (Very hot objects, yes, but then again the human eye can see the radiation emitted by a hot target like a candle flame. ;) ) If anyone is interested, I can give some background on how the Nightshot camera was able to partially "see through" clothing. ;)

Fortis said:
If anyone is interested, I can give some background on how the Nightshot camera was able to partially "see through" clothing. ;)

Eeek!

I think the pictures are fun.:)

Sadly they will inevitably end up misleading a lot of "believers"

Filthy le Dog said:
Who's to say they're not real... ;)
In fairness, that's an entirely reasonable point: there's a photo of me taken at Niagara Falls a few years ago that look for all the world like I'm stood in front of a bluescreen image. It looks entirely fake, which a few people have remarked upon when seeing it, but no, I was there!

Problem is, as always, the people who see and photograph these things (cryptids, aliens, whatever) are very rarely professional photographers, the subjects aren't going to stand around posing or waiting for better light, and even a really expensive camera will only work as well as the person operating it. Having a number of low quaility holiday snaps, despite being snapped in good photographic conditions (lots of light, co-operative subjects, etc), I'm not surprised there are so few decent "weird" piccies.

All that said, these pics in particular don't strike me as being altogether genuine...

A query. How are you so certain about what a greys eyes are supposed to be like?

Filthy le Dog said:
Who's to say they're not real... ;)

Kinda like, as we can't be sure what aliens look like how are we to know they don't look like bad 80s latex movie-effects a la alien autopsy footage...;)

But but but...

...my argument is, albeit not a 100% serious one:

...you don't think these are real.

I cannot prove that they are.

Can you definitively prove that they are not?

Very odd, but since they're not giving me the screaming heebeegeebees (as anything to do with the Greys is wont to do) I reckon they've been faked ...

Re: But but but...

Filthy le Dog said:
...my argument is, albeit not a 100% serious one:

...you don't think these are real.

I cannot prove that they are.

Can you definitively prove that they are not?
No, but they certainly look very, very, free in a cornflake packet size, small. :p

These are obviouosly real.
I the last photo the Alien is shielding his eyes:
"Ouch ! that NIR illuminator's bright !"
A plastic model would not react in this way.
Therefore the photos are not fake.

Are aliens in YOUR garden?

(Note to Mods: There doesn't seem to be a general thread for dodgy alien photos, but it there is then feel free to merge this with it)

I just stumbled across some wonderful snapshots, courtesy of the UFO Casebook, of grey aliens prowling around in a London garden and taking a close interest in some ferns:

Greys in Garden

What do you think they were looking for?

hate all those slime-covered aliens that eat my pot plants in my backyard!
So sorry not POT plants but pot plants...:D

These 'photos' have been discussed elsewhere here...

Where? I thought they might but couldn't find them anywhere.

graylien said:
Where? I thought they might but couldn't find them anywhere.

No doubt somewhere in the depths of the Ufology section...

So they are. Although it turns out they're in a graveyard, not a garden!

Along with a link to an additional snapshot of the Greys bounding around tombstones

Ghoulish little blighters!

(first link redundant, so disabled :). Stu)

Back