• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

All Kinds Of English

Scots (proper Lallans Scots) officially is sufficiently-distinct from English to be classifiable as a seperate language, not just a dialect.
The major differences have also been present for as long as either language has existed. There's a story of an English ambassador to the Scottish court at some point in the middle ages, having to speak french to be understood (wish I could track it down, can anyone?). The scots language became more influenced by and similar to English english after the union and of course the invention of the printing press (there were never any completed versions of the Bible in scots).

I also believe that some Scots words come directly from French at the time of the Auld Alliance, e.g. 'floors' coming from French 'flors' (modern 'fleurs') directly rather than the English word 'flowers', which came from Norman French*. 'Peedy' meaning 'small' from 'petit'. 'Fash' as in 'dinna fash yourself' from 'fâcher' ('upset').

*Incidentally, a lot of the distinct sound of french-derived words in english comes from the fact that they were derived from Norman french, i.e. a dialect of or closely-related language to french. Hence all of the words that start with a 'gu' in french start with a 'w' in English, e.g. 'war'/'guerre', 'wardrobe'/'guarderobe', 'warranty'/'guarantee' (this one must have come into the language on two separate occasions). Some words that start with a soft 'ch' sound in french start with a hard '/k/' sound in English, retained from the Norman language, e.g. 'kennel'/'chenil', 'cattle'/'cheptil', 'candle'/'chaundelle', 'castle'/'chateau'.

Nobody would claim that Portugese & Spanish are the same language. Or Dutch & German. Yet the differences between Scots and English languages are (in some respects) greater.

But they would claim that portuguese and galician are the same language. Galician being the native language of the bit of Spain just above Portugal. There are some 'dialects of german' near the Holland border that are more like dialects of Dutch in reality.

Last edited:
There's a story of an English ambassador to the Scottish court at some point in the middle ages, having to speak french to be understood (wish I could track it down, can anyone?)
I'll try to finally track this down, I've heard this story many times before. So saying, I think plenty of London ambassadors to the ancient kingdoms of Nothumbria, or the venerable Houses of York or Lancaster, would've had to resort to the lingua franca of either court French or Latin to be understood.

The scots language became more influenced by and similar to English english after the union
Very true, although clearly Robert Burns (and his later countryman Sir Walter Scott) could code-switch between true Scots language and English. That ability (in any real sense) is very nearly completely gone amongst the population of Scotland.

I also believe that some Scots words come directly from French at the time of the Auld Alliance
This is a persuasive expectation and will no doubt be true, but significant instances of proto-French that exist in Scots language probably pre-date both that alliance and the Norman conquest itself.

'Peedy' meaning 'small' from 'petit'. 'Fash' as in 'dinna fash yourself' from 'fâcher' ('upset').
Peedy/Peerie is a good example of nearly-extinct Scots (apart from in Shetland) whilst 'Fash' etc is by now only understood by older crusties. Such a word would now only be understood by a tiny percentage of native Scots under 30 yrs old.

I have the impression that for a lot of older English speakers in England and the Commonwealth (ie non-Scots speakers of English over 50yrs) the subtle informative injections of Scots language provided by the likes of 'Oor Willie' and 'The Broons' as cartoons ensured that generations of non-Scots had an unconscious vocabulary of many key Scots/Lallans words and syntax. These cartoons (although still in existence) now only use a smattering of Scots, mainly sticking to Scots accented English (as is the case with the vast majority of the whole home nation itself).

The Scandanavian/Germanic/Friesian modifiers upon Scots language appear to have been a lot-more influential than was the case for formal English (so much for the Danelaw). I suspect that you are spot-on with your observation regarding the OF/Norman differentiation, in lots of ways.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...e-english-language.31931/page-19#post-1706805
Ermintruder said:
But it's too late. The damage is irreparably done. I've gibbered on about this before, but I don't apologise for repeating myself.

The Scots language is treated as an utter joke, and is a lethal social marginaliser.

For example, if someone who speaks broad Scots talks about "phonin' the Polis", many non-Scots speakers (by whom I mean many English-speaking Scots, many Gaelic-speaking Scots & Irish, and a significant proportion of the English-speaking English, both side of the border) would literally laugh at them.

Yet in Sweden, and some other Scandinavian countries, 'Polis' is the formal word for the Police
250px-VW_Passat_Swedish_Police_Car_001.jpg

1-Front-picture_large.jpg;pv6e7b8d6e80eccd04
Yet the use of the word by a Scots person (in the 'wrong' context) can cause some people to either totally cringe or burst out laughing.

D'ye ken whit's Swedish fir 'ma twa braw bairns is ben thi hoose'? No? Well, ye've jist bin telt, sae tak tent!
(Do you know what is Swedish language for "my two excellent children are in the house"? No? Well, you have just been told, so pay attention!)

In Scotland, many things are braw. In Sweden, many similar/identical things are, indeed, brå ....I would love to carry-out a sociophonological experiment, and instantaneously-transpose a drunken semi-coherent Glaswegian to Stockholm, and an akvavit-sodden Swede onto that suddenly-vacated barstool in the Clutha bar near the Clyde. I bet neither (and nobody) would notice for quite a few rounds.

Last edited:
An interesting article on Hong Kong English:

DO YOU SPEAK HONG KONG ENGLISH?

I had never noticed that Hong Kongers say 'actually' all time.
...the exceptionally high use of the word “actually,” which takes the place of other words such as “really” and “well.”

According to Hong Kong English, some linguists see this particular quirk as an embodiment of the Chinese value of face – “the idea being that these speakers are anxious to seek recognition of their statements or ideas rather than being genuinely liked by others.” In their research, Setter, Wong and Chan found that Hong Kong English speakers use the word “actually” three times more often than English speakers who are not originally from the city.

I say 'actually' a bit myself.
And I love Chinese food.

I find this very fascinating. I only speak (english) english, and often have trouble understanding other english. especially out of context (even tv, which i watch a lot of, I often use subtitles). barely got a word from that Liberia

Pidgin English is excting. Although it covers a lot of different versions. Tok Pisin is an actual offical language of Papua New Guinea, and its really a very simplified phonic version of 'proper' english words.

eg.
kaikai – food, eat, to bite (Austronesian loan word); also
  • kaikai bilong moningtaim - breakfast (from "food belong morning time")
  • kaikai bilong nait - dinner/supper (from "food belong night")

My favourite Tok Pisin word is pikininny bilong kwin (Prince Charles)

My favourite Tok Pisin word is pikininny bilong kwin (Prince Charles)
Not dissimilar to my own favourite, that for eclipse: "Paraffin lamp bilong Jesus him go buggerup"

The BBC news-site has a splendid Pidgin section. From today's front page
Boris Johnson confam say im dey eye Tory leadership wen Theresa May step down.

Back