• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alligator/Lizard Men

MrRING

Android Futureman
Alligator Men

It seems like I recall in the 70's there being a fai interest in a bigfoot-style giant biped called Alligator Man. I think there was even an episode of In Search Of dedicated to him.

Why is thus crypto no longer remembered - was it all a porven hoax, or was it like Mothman a product of it's time, or what? Any interesting pages/theories about him? Or did I dream it all?

Thanks, that is a cool story. I'm still searching for the 70's Alligator Man thing though, will post if I find anything....

(What's interesting to me is that the kid had physical evidence with his dented car and door handle. I don't think many 17 year olds would mess up their car on a prank. I wonder what he is doing now, if he still maintains the story)

Hey, I saw that episode of 'In Search Of' too! And as I recall, it scared the living, er, 'wits' (replace wits with whatever nasty word you'd like at your own expense) out of me as a young'un.

As far as I know, lizardman sightings are pretty rare - the Alligator Man and the Loveland Frog are the only two cases that come to mind, in contrast to the hundreds of lake monsters and hairy humanoids which people have reported seeing over the years. Why they're so rare, I don't know. Maybe the Lizzies feel uncomfortable outside of their native habitat of Las Vegas, perhaps? :)

And as for 'In Search Of' , there was something about that show that was almost hypnotic to me as a kid - something about the combination of poor-quality film stock, horrid special effects and 'witness re-creations', the weird bleeping and blooping soundtrack provided by those ancient, analog Moog synthesizers topped off by Leonard Nimoy's narration - well I don't think it gets much weirder/better than that.

There was a four page feature in FT63 featuring loads of examples with some neat illustrations including the Fortunato Zanfretta abduction case from Italy in Dec. 1978.

http://www.geocities.com/theysawthem/zanfretta.html

Sure it isn't the Christopher Davis 'Lizard Man' case you'ren after? I realsie it's from 1988 but he was 17 when he saw it there was damage to his car, a brown 1976 Toyota Celica, involving, it says here in FT51:

"...the wing mirror was "twisted round funny". A few days later he found scratches on the roof."

Could it be the monster seen three times at Lake Thetis, British Columbia during August 1972?

Apparently John Keel calls them 'Abominable Swamp Slobs' :)

There's loads more in this article in FT40 by Loren Coleman entitled 'Creatures From The Black Lagoon'. I just skimmed it and typed out the seemingly one bit that mentions alligators:

"In a continuous watery line down the Susquehanna River through the socalled Southern Tier of New York State, into the Tamarack swamps along the Delaware ending in the counties of Morris and Sussex, New Jersey, reports, tales and sightings of Creatures from the Black Lagoon are a matter of fact. In 1973, during the summer, residents of New Jersey's Newton-Layfayette area described a giant man-like alligator they had seen locally.

Newspapers commented that an old Indian tale from the region told of a giant man-sized fish which could never be caught. In 1977, New York Satate Conservation Naturalist Alfred Hulstruck reported that the state's Southern Tier had "a scaled, man-like creature (which) appears at dusk from the red, algae-ridden waters to forage among the fern and moss-covered uplands."...

I might scan the whole thing in if I can get my scanner to work.

winged lizard-man?

Here's a report of an encounter with a winged species.

Justin Anstey said:
In 1973, during the summer, residents of New Jersey's Newton-Layfayette area described a giant man-like alligator they had seen locally.

This sounds like the story I'm thinking of (and it's the right time period too). I wonder if we could find out more... great work Justin!

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
This sounds like the story I'm thinking of (and it's the right time period too). I wonder if we could find out more...
From issue 8 of Weird NJ, page 12:
A motorist driving through Wayne in the 1970's reported seeing a green scaly "Lizard Man," with bulging eyes and a lipless mouth. Another motorist, traveling west on Route 80 in 1974, reported seeing a huge humanoid creature standing beside the road. The White Meadow Lake resident described the beast as having a towering greenish body which was covered with scales. As the driver sped past the animal, he could see its reptilian face, bulging frog-like eyes, and broad lipless mouth, illuminated in his headlights.
Lizard men have often been spotted crossing low lying roads through the swamps of many Southern Atlantic states, especially South Carolina where eyewitness accounts have made headlines in the local papers as recently as 1994.

comments on some enigmatic aspects of this very thread

To all:

The presence of coincidence always at least seems to suggest the existence of some significance beyond the immediately visible. The concurrent occurrence of two topically intertwined, but - in terms of “traditional science” - causally unrelated phenomena or situations may be a happenstance, but it can also signify the influence of something not bound by “traditional science”, and, therefore, in the realm of Forteanism. For this reason, coincidence is a natural consideration for those interested in Forteanism. When the subjects involved are, themselves, Fortean topics, it can be considered “gravy”, or a sign that something truly enigmatic is involved.

The Fortean site contributor, Mr. R.I.N.G., began this thread, with reference to an evident regular phenomenon called "alligator men" or "lizard men". Then, in the "Monsters from the Id!" thread, in the "Notes & Queries" section, Mr. R.I.N.G. also refers back to this very thread, in speaking about, for example, a child dreaming of a kind of lizard monster, and, if others are thinking the same, the combined effect actually bringing the creature into existence.

It's questionable why the story of the lizard men should bring about this conceptualization to Mr. R.I.N.G. If you wished to bring up the idea of someone bringing a creature into existence by dreaming about it, why not introduce it in threads about The Abominable Snowman, The Loch Ness Monster, or Owlman? Why should this particular subject bring about the idea of creatures being "thought" into existence? What is it about the lizard man story that would incite Mr. R.I.N.G. to invoke the apparently totally separate subject of something being “wished” into existence? No statements were made, supposedly, to the effect of people thinking about such a creature, when it was seen, and there seems no mention of it, essentially, vanishing into thin air, when people stopped thinking of.

When I first read about the lizard man experience in Weird NJ, number 8, I was reminded of an episode I once saw of the old television series, "One Step Beyond", hosted by John Newland. "One Step Beyond" was a program that air dramatizations of stories of the unusual and supernatural. It was hosted by director John Newland. It covered second sight, apparitions and occurrences not explainable by what can be called "everyday" interpretations. In one episode, even - before they became a feature of the epidemic of drug abuse - Mr. Newland appeared in an episode, smoking "sacred mushrooms", to see if they increased someone's ability to use sixth sense.

One episode told of a creature that seemed to come from nowhere to be a special friend of a young boy. The descriptions of the creature seem to agree with those ascribed to the lizard men. It was tall, strong, reptilian, and, based on a pair of footprints supposedly belonging to the creature, had three toes on each foot! Not once was the being actually seen, throughout the episode. Its actions were only suggested by their results. In some ways, it was different from the usual descriptions of lizard men, though. It was, for example, taller than the 7 feet usually indicated, it seems. It was described as being able to reach up to the boy's room, on the second floor of his house. It seemed strong enough to actually life him out, through his window, and carry him away. The footprints, too, seemed about 18 inches to 2 feet long, and about 6 inches deep! Too, though, the story took place in a farming community, similar to the wooded areas where the lizard men are usually said to be seen. Throughout the episode, too, a distinctive scent is said to be associated with the creature. I don't know if any of those who saw lizard men or alligator men reported a strange scent. In the story, the boy's family, and their neighbors, trail and, presumably, corner the creature in a woods. They know it's there because of the scent. They set fire to the woods, supposedly destroying it, but there is no sound heard, as if it was trying to get out. It may have simply “gone out of existence”. I have not found any very reliable list of episode descriptions for the series, but I believe it may have been the episode, "Who Are You?"

One might be tempted to suggest that the boy might have summoned a "special friend" because he was unhappy in his family life, but, in the story, I don't believe he was abused or mistreated or unhappy. This may, however, be in deference to the family. In reality, there may have been family troubles that the boy sought to escape, and which led to his "special friend" coming into existence. Tellingly, though, the idea of creatures being summoned to defend a troubled child is mentioned in other stories in the series! Another episode, for example, tells of a girl being raised by her step-mother. Her step-mother is, apparently, constantly cruel to the girl, and, in the end, the girl is able to summon up a tiger that attacks the woman!

In its own way, this set of dual references can be considered enigmatic, certainly in the sense that the two topics do not seem to have any overt relationship, yet, if you look into it, there seems a hidden connection!. Those familiar with other posts I have placed on this board will be aware of my invoking the idea of acting to have God work through you. Without Mr. R.I.N.G. even realizing it, his associated threads seem to have opened up this concept, of children's suffering enabling them to bring something into existence to defend them. This raises the question of whether anyone has experienced any kind of unusual phenomenon which evidently pointed the way to the discovery of previously unknown mistreatment of children, or others. It may be useful to point out any cases where unusual circumstances seem to have attended a child - or, for that matter, anyone else - being unfairly used or mistreated!

Julian Penrod

Wow, what a cool reply Julian!

I started the Alligator Man thread because I had dim memories of the 70's In Search Of episode, and couldn't remember the story or find any further information.

I enjoyed the references that other Forteans brought up, but I began to wonder about why it seemed like the sightings of Alligator/Lizard Men were mostly confined to the 70's, and also the nature of the sightings, mostly just an image, and some occasional contact (like the dented roof). Bigfoot sightings and the large area in which they could potentially traverse leaves open the possibility of a thriving population, but the needs of reptiles for heat and the smaller overall area of unpopulated southern swamps made me think that a biologically viable species of alligator men would be hard to maintain and still be undetected.

I haven't seen the Outer Limits episode, but I had recently watched Forbidden Planet, which put in my head the possibility of a mind force that could manifest out of the subconcious, and somehow I applied it to Alligator Men and it fit like a glove. It would explain the short time that most creatures are seen, more often at night (because more people are sleeping then perhaps). It could explain many of the more anamolous creatures/beings sighted that seem to have no biological precendent. It could explain why these animals are untrackable and yet still put their existance into the catagory of real phenomenon.

It also fits with my other crazy theories about the nature of reality, but that's for another thread!

As far as instances of children being protected by creatures of the imagination, I can't think of any examples, but it seems like an incredible subject for which I'd want to hear more. :)

This also seems along similar lines (esp. the sightings along the east coast):

Posted on Thu, Aug. 26, 2004

REMEMBER THIS?

Sightings in Lee County’s Scape Ore swamp of a slimy green, red-eyed swamp monster sent news of the Lizard Man flashing across South Carolina and the nation in July 1988. The 7-foot-tall, two-legged creature —with three-fingered hands and three-toed feet — had hundreds of people searching the swamp near Bishopville.

NBC news sent a crew to town to do a “Today” segment and Sheriff Liston Truesdale was interviewed by media from as far away as Australia.

Lizardmania produced a lot of T-shirts, talk of a movie (never produced) and eventually a children’s book. But the Lizard Man vanished and never reappeared after that summer.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/living/9497799.htm

in reply to the story as posted by bannick

sorry if i'm doing this incorrectly [i'm trying to reply the story posted by bannick] but it kind of strikes me as a bit odd that the reason the boy pulled over in the first place was because his car was disabled [blown tire] and yet when approached and attacked by the creature, he was able to control the car enough to swerve and sunsequently knock the creature off the roof of his car. now, i'm not too experienced in the nature of automobile mishaps, but wouldn't it be extremely difficult to control and maneuver a car with a blown tire, let alone dislodge the creature and then drive home? just a thought...

the 'Lizard Man' or 'Alligator Men' held a special interest for me from a young age not only because the 'Creature From The Black Lagoon' was always my favorite 'Universal' monster, and it was coolness in the extreme to imagine that there might be an analogous critter roaming about in the real world, but also because it ( they ) completely fly in the face of conventional cryptozoological theories; as far as our present knowledge is concerned, there just aren't any humanoid anthropoidal reptillian bipeds in the fossil record. The question then, is: if they exist, just what exactly could they be?

ignatius:

here's an interesting tidbit from the IMDB listing for CftBL:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046876/trivia
When William Alland was a member of Orson Welles' Mercury Theatre, he heard famed Mexican cinematographer Gabriel Figueroa tell of a legend about a humanoid creature that supposedly lived in South America. That legend became the origin of this film.
Wonder what the legend was.....?

Search for "superstition mountains" which are east of Phoenix (I've been in those mountains) and you will find a bit of information which most people who live near the mountain will back up. Talk of "lizard-men" coming out of those cliff walls at night and roaming around. They closed down the national park at one point because skeletons of hikers were found. Just skeletons, no flesh. And we're talking the next day after they went missing!!! That was an issue when I was there, and the park was actually re-opened the same day these shots were taken. Supposedly if you hike those mountains for long enough, its not rare to see these lizard-men running about. FYI, overtop of these cliffs is where the famous "Phoenix Lights" originated from. I'd like to get a thread started on just these mountains alone if theres intrest because I have a LOT to talk about. Enjoy.

[EDIT] Heres some photoS I took of the mountains... (read the captions)
Face4.jpg

In this picture, see the large hole imbedded into the cliff? I saw figures peering out, and darting back and forth. I dont know how you think, but I doubt that some humans live up there!! Creeped me out enough to jog back down the hill, honestly.
Face3.sized.jpg

Dyslexicicus said:
As far as I know, lizardman sightings are pretty rare - the Alligator Man and the Loveland Frog are the only two cases that come to mind, in contrast to the hundreds of lake monsters and hairy humanoids which people have reported seeing over the years.
possibly they're more common in UFO-type encounters than hairy ape-type creatures are?

ignatius said:
there just aren't any humanoid anthropoidal reptillian bipeds in the fossil record/
but if one were to run into one of these in a dark alley you'd be forgiven for not taking in all the detail - it's about the right size, and walks on two legs too.

James H said:
Dyslexicicus said:
As far as I know, lizardman sightings are pretty rare - the Alligator Man and the Loveland Frog are the only two cases that come to mind, in contrast to the hundreds of lake monsters and hairy humanoids which people have reported seeing over the years.
possibly they're more common in UFO-type encounters than hairy ape-type creatures are?

ignatius said:
there just aren't any humanoid anthropoidal reptillian bipeds in the fossil record/
but if one were to run into one of these in a dark alley you'd be forgiven for not taking in all the detail - it's about the right size, and walks on two legs too.

Pretty good points. And according to Ike's logic, these reptilians either morph when no-ones around, or they are confined to certain areas or bases. So yes the sightings are far more rare. If all bigfoots lived underground and in tunnels, we'd probably never see them either.

Parlangua, the dreaded Cajun-eating Louisiana man-gator.

"Best stay out of the bayou, baby!"

Human84, i'd love some more detail on your sighting...

Were the "figures" you saw clearly humanoid in shape, or could they concievably have been some other type of animal?

Could you guess as to how big they were, and how far from the ground the hole they were coming out of was?

Did they seem aware of your presence?

etc...

Goldstein said:
Human84, i'd love some more detail on your sighting...

Were the "figures" you saw clearly humanoid in shape, or could they concievably have been some other type of animal?

Could you guess as to how big they were, and how far from the ground the hole they were coming out of was?

Did they seem aware of your presence?

etc...

Goldstein, yeah. They were peering down onto me, and some other hikers. I got directly below it at one point but dont have a picture from there. It was like 3 of them, people except for big mouths, its hard to explain but I definetly didnt get a good look, its dark in there; sorry thats all I noticed of them is the mouths. Like one would come out and have his arm on the edge, his head would bob for a split second like he was coming down and out and then he would go back with the other figures. Movements were very quick and jerky. They might all stop for a second and then go deeper back in. Then a minute or so later one would suddenly appear and then as quickly as he came he would be gone. Whatever they were, they're mouths were huge. I didnt walk back to the car, I jogged; and its a good 3 miles which was creepy because sun was setting when i decided to turn back; and remember this was the first day that the park was re-opened after so many skeletons found and no cause was ever found. (the park rangers of course arent going to say that theres giant lizard people running about eating hikers, so the cause of so many deaths was 'never determined'.) Sorry for long post.

Cave entrance also appears in background of this picture, tooken by me. Interesting thing is that from the mountains, if you glance to the west you can see the Phoenix skyline, its about 40-50 miles out.
Blur1.jpg

Blue Space Lizards!

This one reads a bit like a typical episode of The Prisoner. Except with giant blue lizard men.

Location. Sudak, Crimean Peninsula, Ukraine
Date: 1995
Time: 1000A
A local resident, Georgiy, went to an embankment on the Black Sea for a breath of sea air. With a goblet of beer with him he stepped down to the sand and watched the horizon. It was a calm and beautiful day. Suddenly someone sneaked up to him from behind and puts a rubber mask on his head. Georgiy struggles and grabs the mask under his chin and pulled it off, thinking it was some kind of stupid prank. But in the next second he found himself amid a huge hall, he could neither see the sea or beach or sky. There were huge screens on the walls, multitudes of various control panels with buttons and chairs in front of them. When he looked down, he saw that he was holding a rubber mask resembling that of blue reptilian "monster", skin like a lizard, covered with warts.

Suddenly a door opened in the wall and three "monsters" entered the room. These resembled very much the face on the mask he was holding. They were tall, about 2 meters in height, blue in color, all covered entirely by warts, they were nude and were "awful" in appearance. One of them approached Georgiy and put his hand on his shoulder (the alien had three huge curved clawed fingers on his hand) and said in a low hoarse voice. "Homo Sapiens" Georgiy could see huge yellow fangs in his opened mouth. After that, seized by a terrific panic Georgiy began to scream, he jerked back, threw the mask on the floor and ran away.

He entered a corridor and passed numerous oval doors, different screens and instruments. Overwhelmed by fear he ran into another room and there he was confronted by another blue reptilian humanoid. The humanoid opened his huge arms on his sides and said, "Where are you running to"? After that he pressed something on the wall and Georgiy saw what he called an "abyss", endless space everywhere. He could see stars and beautiful scenes in space. He was trembling with fear when one of the blue reptilians approached him took his hand and said, "Do not be afraid". He then accompanied the witness to the next room. In that room he saw hundreds of reptilian humanoids standing in ranks. All were standing shoulder to shoulder and all were looking at the witness. Suddenly they moved aside and the witness saw a beautiful woman with light hair, sleeping on a small sofa, she was totally naked. He saw her for several seconds and after that the blue reptilians close ranks again and she disappeared from sight.

The alien then accompanied Georgiy to a screen. There were stars on the screen. The reptilian pointed with his claw at one of the stars and said, "Earth". After that he embraced the witness with his powerful three-fingered hands and said, "Stay with us. We have no time and death." Terrified Georgiy could only say that he wanted to go back home, that his mother was waiting for him and begged them to let him go. The alien then said, "Well then is there anything you want to know?" Georgiy could only think of one thing at that point, "How long will my mother live"? The alien answered, "As much as your age now". After that the star on the screen began to approach very fast and began to resemble the globe of earth, he could see clouds. Suddenly Georgiy realized that he was standing near his house, but only in the opposite direction from where he had originally left. He had been gone for 5 hours. He noticed a peculiar detail; the coins in his pocket began to glow with a yellowish light when he took them out. This light disappeared in the morning.

Source: http://www.ufoinfo.com/news/humanoid1995.shtml

^ ^ That happens to me all the time. Actually no. But very strange. Perhaps that shoreline has a cavern which is an entrance to their area? Otherwise, I'm thinking ufo abduction and its just that the guy never saw the craft on the beach. Interesting story. Is it new?

But very strange. Perhaps that shoreline has a cavern which is an entrance to their area? Otherwise, I'm thinking ufo abduction and its just that the guy never saw the craft on the beach. Interesting story. Is it new?

Or perhaps the goblet of beer (as its described in the article) was in fact several goblets of beer, i'm not saying that the man wasdn't abducted by giant blue lizards but really the story seems like a fantastic dream. They say they have no time and death and if Georgiy wants to know anything and the best he can come with is

"How long will my mother live"?

how about asking for something like a formula for producing endless pollution free fuel or for a few pictures of the aliens to take back with him. Please i'm not trying to be sarcastic but really some of these stories have got to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Nice Wiki on the Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizard_Man_of_Scape_Ore_Swamp

Whith this update:

In October 2005, a woman in Newberry, South Carolina reported to the police that she had seen two creatures resembling the Lizard Man outside her home. The responding officer, Officer Michael Kennedy, apparently amused, told the woman that the creatures "just like to check on humans from time to time."

Back