• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alternative Medicines: Ayurveda

I When I was a child, stomach ulcers were a result of 'stress' and stomach acid increase. Milk, especially buttermilk, the recommended treatment.
Turns out ulcers have nothing to do with stomach acids.

So, while buttermilk might relieve the pain, it wasn't actually doing any good.
Seems it affects far more people than I'd previously realised - will take note of what has been outlined (above) anyway, and use any recommendations more wisely in future should I get a repeat performance of it. Cheers.
I do remember making a curry a few days ago, and for some reason it seemed to be extra-extra hot (peppery), which might be the reason why it might well have suddenly backfired on me! I also ate it later than I normally would do!

Last edited:
Seems it affects far more people than I'd previously realised - will take note of what has been outlined (above) anyway, and use any recommendations more wisely in future should I get a repeat performance of it. Cheers.
I do remember making a curry a few days ago, and for some reason it seemed to be extra-extra hot (peppery), which might be the reason why it might well have suddenly backfired on me! I also ate it later than I normally would do!
Don't eat later than about 7 pm, because your body starts to prepare itself for sleep and digestive processes start to slow down.
You don't want to go to bed on a full stomach either. Giving it time to make its journey out of the stomach into the colon is the best thing to do. @JamesWhitehead seems to be immune to this problem, even though he typically eats a 3-course meal in the dead of night.
And... as we get older, really hot curries require caution. I'm trying to eat less of it in order to avoid gastric problems. My own chilli con carne would probably knock most people out or send them off looking for milk, because I'm a bit heavy-handed with the chilli and garlic.

Sure, I use Bicarb. It's a very old 'remedy', as far as I'm aware dating well before Gaviscon or other brands.
I drink a night-time mix of valerian and camomile tea to help me sleep at night.
I use mint - or peppermint tea - on the rare occasion I have an upset stomach. I use Oil of Cloves for a minor toothache (if I cant get it) or I distill my own.
I don't eschew old remedies at all. But I don't disparage or avoid 'modern' medicine. There's a difference between 'alternative' and 'replacement'.

If it isn't good for us then it's harmful, surely, or is this semantics?
Nope, no semantics.

Being out in the cold for an extended period of time without the proper clothing before getting back indoors to warm up is not harmful provided it's a one off or doesn't happen everyday but it's still not good for you.

Don't eat later than about 7 pm, because your body starts to prepare itself for sleep and digestive processes start to slow down.
You don't want to go to bed on a full stomach either. Giving it time to make its journey out of the stomach into the colon is the best thing to do. @JamesWhitehead seems to be immune to this problem, even though he typically eats a 3-course meal in the dead of night.
And... as we get older, really hot curries require caution. I'm trying to eat less of it in order to avoid gastric problems. My own chilli con carne would probably knock most people out or send them off looking for milk, because I'm a bit heavy-handed with the chilli and garlic.
Yes. . . that's something I'll definitely have to put right - cooking and eating meals too late, and probably a good reason for that acidic condition. "Will take heed from now on!"

When I was a child, stomach ulcers were a result of 'stress' and stomach acid increase. Milk, especially buttermilk, the recommended treatment.
Turns out ulcers have nothing to do with stomach acids.

So, while buttermilk might relieve the pain, it wasn't actually doing any good.
The bacterial cause of stomach ulcers was correctly hypothesised up to the 1950s, after which the mistaken 'acidity' theory took over.
It's a fascinating story. :)

I can't eat really spicy food anymore and I've often wondered how our stomachs can handle very hot food anyway, especially on a regular basis.

The Spanish and Argentinians (and to an extent, southern Europeans/North Africans) eat very late, not before at least 9pm, but often as late 10/11pm.

The Spanish and Argentinians (and to an extent, southern Europeans/North Africans) eat very late, not before at least 9pm, but often as late 10/11pm.
They may have become habituated to it, by a lifetime of doing so.
Also... what time do they get up?
And... do they have longer days (i.e. more sunshine later into the evening)? That can affect the body clock.

They may have become habituated to it, by a lifetime of doing so.
Also... what time do they get up?
And... do they have longer days (i.e. more sunshine later into the evening)? That can affect the body clock.
Yes, good points.

Not really an alternative medicine, but when I was travelling a bit years ago, for any stomach issues it was recommended to me by a Danish guy, that a carbonated drink like coke, but one that had gone 'flat' ie lost its fizz would help and I remember that it did work.

Not really an alternative medicine, but when I was travelling a bit years ago, for any stomach issues it was recommended to me by a Danish guy, that a carbonated drink like coke, but one that had gone 'flat' ie lost its fizz would help and I remember that it did work.
Really? 'Cause a flat carbonated drink is just water and additives. The fizz is created by the carbonation. Interesting ...
Me, I had almost crippling reflux on a regular basis. This, along with other symptoms, indicated that a small stomach hernia I'd had since childhood had increased dramatically. Quick operation (installing a plastic 'mesh') and I've been okay since.
I've found I can 'stomach' ( ;) ) eating late, and regardless of spices. Oddly enough, though, if I've had a takeaway pizza or a calzone as a treat, I get some indigestion. Those tomato dishes I cook myself doesn't have that effect.

Back