• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

American Horror Story

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Anyone been watching this?

Three episodes in, pretty good so far. Suppose I'd describe it as a bit of a cross between Harper's Island and Twin Peaks. Basically a Haunted House story.

Not sure how they could drag it over several seasons, would be nice if it was a self-contained single season story.

I missed the first episode but have watched pretty much everything since.

I find it intriguing as it treads a very fine line between being ridiculous and genuinely disturbing. Some of the imagery is really bizarre, like Monday night's Pig Man leaping out from behind a shower curtain, but then the stuff about vengeful ghosts chasing people around is a bit hard to swallow, plus the main cast's reactions to these utterly terrifying events don't ring true, but maybe that's part of the point 'cos they're all falling victim to the house in some way or another.

Anyways I'm gonna stick with it for two reasons: 1st, simply because it's the best supernatural horror/mystery/suspense thing out there at the moment, and 2nd I'm curious as to how they're gonna string this storyline out for another seven episodes!

Can't see how they'll wring another "season" out of it though.

We love it but some bits seem worryingly funny.

The wickedly lecherous husband for example, who can only see the elderly cleaning lady as a French maid-type provocateuse - straight out of The Two Ronnies. :lol:

So after the recent revelation regarding the baby I thought they had found a way to make this continue into a new season, but after the bigger revelation in the second more recent episode I am back to thinking how does this possibly go into a second season?

Intriguing and probably the most unusual show on TV at present.

EDIT: Love the intro music as well.

I like the theme music too. It's a bit hard tho hum though. :lol:

I absolutely love it! :lol:

It's got every horror cliche ever, but it's so well done that you can't help but keep watching. I think the thing with the maid, who is seen by the women as an old lady but by the men as a hot young thing is great! ;)

Yeh, I'm not sure how well a second series would be, but so far, so good!

Loved the first series too.

First Hard Details Emerge Regarding American Horror Story Season 2

"American Horror Story" co-creator Ryan Murphy recently dished the first real details we've seen for the show's second season, including its location, time frame, and what some old and new faces will be doing once the spookery begins!

"[Season 2] is set on the East Coast at an institution for the criminally insane that is run by Jessica [Lange]," Murphy said on April 18th during a panel promoting the series at the TV Academy in North Hollywood.

In addition, the second season will find the cast in a new era, Murphy said. "It's a completely different world and has nothing to do with Season 1; there's not a mention of Season 1," he noted. "The second season is set in a completely different time period."

Murphy then teased that there could also be more familiar faces from Season 1 set to take on new characters when the series returns in the fall, with a few possibly in attendance Wednesday. "The idea is to work with actors that you love and are excited by. The second season, everybody who was announced, there will be oththe polar opposite of what they were in the first season in every way," he said.er people up on this stage who are not announced who will also be in it but are playing

FULL STORY

I love the idea that they are shifting the story each season but am not entirely convinced by the idea of the same actors being used. I guess it could work, we'll see...

Anyone following season three?

Just been reading up on the real Delphine LaLaurie. Would make for an interesting article in FT if it has not already been covered. I don't recall reading her story in FT before but am going to go back and check my copy of Herbert Asbury's "Gangs Of New Orleans" as I'm sure that will cover her crimes.

The Wiki entry seems to rely heavily on the writings of Harriet Martineau, I presume the New Orleans Bee reports that follow later are based on truth but it seems a lot of the depiction of LaLaurie comes from the work of Martineau - based on stories she had been told.

Strikes me there is at least a chance that it was a framing due to some kind of petty jealousy in the New Orleans socialite scene.

Watched up to season five, apart from a rather duff season three the quality of the writing has been excellent and the seasons getting better as they go along.

I just recently watched seasons one and two, but I couldn't even see the first episode of season three through to the end.
I really quite enjoyed season two, although they used every asylum cliché and trope imaginable (except having someone "locked up for having a child out of wedlock", thank f**k).

Has anyone started watching S5 yet? Mixed reviews on Rtn Tomatoes, but I'll still be giving it a try.

I couldn't find a thread on this which either means I can't work the search engine or no one here gives a shite about American Horror Story. I'll run with the second but hope it's the first.

I'm not going back to the first series (been there, done that, top work). I'm just wondering if anyone else is going to be watching/has watched "My Roanoke Nightmare"? I'm just about to watch the first episode and would love to read other people's opinions of it and whether or not they are going to stick with it.

Personally. I've found that I love the first few episodes of AHS and then can't be arsed with it enough to watch the rest (apart from series one, which I watched obsessively.) But I always watch those first few episodes...

The storylines I find too tangled for enjoyment.... but I always read the synopses! :clap:

AHS 6 just started. Haunted House, Poltergeist, may involve Timeslips.

The storylines I find too tangled for enjoyment.... but I always read the synopses! :clap:

Oh, I can never follow what's going on. It doesn't help that most of the characters seem to get murdered and come back as ghosts or undead at some point.

I've watched and enjoyed some of the other seasons. I'm watching season 1 now but it all just feels too domestic.

This one - why is it flipping between an apparent reconstruction, and the 'real' protagonists doing what sounds like completely scripted talking heads? Real people don't talk like that...

I'm hoping it's leading up to a true wtf? moment that AHS is really good at. Early days still. Well I've bought a season pass so...

It still doesn't really seem to be hitting the mark BUT in Ep4

when professor dude got filled full of arrows

I got a very strong Mythago Wood vibe. It would be nice if they followed that track a bit - I don't think I've even seen that concept picked up outside the books.

Also liked the bit when Kathy Bates went Peak Kathy Bates.

The creator of the show says yes, and even named the episode it will happen in.

I thought so. I'm only at ep.2 as yet.
I remember the stuff that went on in Asylum. Alien abduction, possession, Nazi experiments, musical numbers, the reincarnation of Anne Frank, nuns.....

Just caught up on the "twist" episode, have to say this is shaping up to possibly be the best season since Asylum.

I only just watched the end of Hotel a few weeks ago, gave up halfway through last year. The show had jumped the shark into shock for shocks sake. Ooh look more sex and excessive gore!

It's a smart concept to freshen the show up.

Directed by Angela Bassett too. She did a good job of not getting things confusing :)

Confusing isn't the word!

Difficult to unpeel the layers to find out what was the actual reality beneath a Reality Show about a Fictional Series about a Reality Show about "Actual Events". All wrapped up in AHS, a fictional series.

Back