• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

American Nukes in Afghanistan?

Some good points are being made here, especially in Dot23's last post. This IS a Fortean MB, which implies we try to maintain a certain distance from events to get a better perspective. And this is a Conspiracy thread, which implies we are prepared to look beneath the surface of all events to see whether the claimed explanations for them are true, or whether there could be equally valid other versions.

So the whole thing is a 'What if...' game, an intellectual and philosphical exercise. It relates to the real world, but questions the usual descriptions of it. So this MB, and this thread, is not for those with fixed and strong political views, because the WHOLE POINT is to query current political views!

Am I stating the obvious? Ok, I'll go...

No, you're not stating the obvious, rynner. I have fixed and strong political views, like anti-racism, anti-imperialism, etc. - but I'm also willing to enter into a debate on some of them.

Some of them. Not all of them. Like wulfloki, no-one's going to convince me that fascism is a good idea to "protect our way of life", or for anything else. Doesn't our way of life involve being able to speak our opinions freely without fear of being dragged off by the secret police? Well then.

Unfortunately fascism (or fascist ideas) have such a bad rap they can't even be discussed anymore.

Take eugenics, a horrible practice admittedly, but still something I see as being relevant to debates about human overpopulation. People immediately bristle when I say this, and maybe rightly, but I still feel it's a valid starting point to a debate. If we don't do anything about human overexpansion we all face severe problems in the not to distant future. China already practices a sort of social eugenics by preventing multiple childbirths (or I believe they have a quota system). People may find this contravines human rights, but it comes to a point where you have to judge the right of the human race in its entirely versus individual rights. This is the argument used by america/uk to clamp down on civil liberties and freedom of the press - it's in the 'national' interest to curb individual freedoms. Similirarly the depressing statements about quotas of refugees and immigrants from the US/Uk/Austalia and elsewhere.

I don't subscibe to either of these theories, but it doesn't mean that I can't discuss them.

Have said it before, and will say it again..the term "facist" gets used MUCH too promiscuously in this forum...

Shadow

well maybe we need to define terms, shadow - I call it any ideal or practice associated with Nazism, Dulce's Italy and Franco's Spain during the last century. I do not connect it with Roman imperialism, nor with rascism or discrimination per se (i.e. I think calling the BNP fascists gives them too much credit - they're just rascist thugs).

Any use?

Shadow said:
Have said it before, and will say it again..the term "facist" gets used MUCH too promiscuously in this forum...

Shadow

Careful Shadow.

I remember making this same point way back when this mb was shiny and new. I got a bit of a flaming for it too I think. Seems we might be Fascists for questioning other peoples definition (or lack of it) of Fascism.

Incidentally Making Terror, Breaking Terror is a feature on BBC Radio 4 tonight at 20.00. Might be of interest to subscibers to this thread.

Shadow said:

Shadow

another overused term is libral(sp?) which seems to be aplyed to people/groups that I would if I could be botherd to would consider to be "facist" as in intollerant of other points of view.

Wm.

(edited to make some sort of sence!)

wulfloki:
I'm a bit concerened about your fanaticism to the Anti-Facist cause. Your assertion that you'd bomb Britain (or and other country I presume) that came under the control of a Facist Govenrment goes a little too far. After all if any escape your bombs why not round them all up and send them to the Gas Chambers?

Beware that in fighting the monster you do not become it.

Niles Reuben Ritchie Calder

phhhfff! Thanks for the worry, Niles, but don't worry, I was being outrageous. I could never bomb the place that gave us David Bowie!

heyy, you're back :) Thought we'd scared you off...

what was this thread about again? *scratches head and looks about confused*

Back