• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

An 'Irrational' Fear

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Does anyone have something they are afraid of, or are weary of doing, that is somewhat debilitating. But not altogether silly ?

I have a need to get rid of a lot of 'stuff' that has accumulated over the years.

But I always worry that, should I throw something out that I obtained for a purpose ages ago, the moment I do I will need that thing again.

INT21.

But I always worry that, should I throw something out that I obtained for a purpose ages ago, the moment I do I will need that thing again.

You are right, it certainly will. As soon as I dumped all my old university notes it occurred to me to re-apply and do another degree, for which I could have used... yup, my old university notes.

Last edited:
I always worry that, should I throw something out that I obtained for a purpose ages ago, the moment I do I will need that thing again

Sounds like the Super-ego thing. When you use the term "Super-ego" now, people can't help thinking of a Superman or Super-egotist but it was diagramatic in Freud's Latin-derived schema of the psyche: the Super-ego sat on top of the Ego, stifling it, like a negative, parental voice.

It's the voice that says, "Don't chuck it, it might come in handy!" or "Don't go out without an umbrella!" or "Unplug the telly in a storm, because it might blow up!"

Just now and then, the Super-ego says something worth listening to. Mainly, it's a confounded pest to those afflicted! :wear:

I got rid of a lot of stuff a wee while ago and I had that problem too but I can honestly say that the number of things I have wanted again have been negligible and kind of silly anyway. (I don't "need" a cassette tape of an obscure 80s band and if it still littered my living room I probably wouldn't listen to it anyway). I spend much more time being glad I have less junk.

The thing to ask yourself is "could I sell this for a fortune on Ebay"? If you can, you may just want to sell it and get the cash. If it is genuinely useful and you would have to pay a high price to get another one then you might want to keep it. If it is not worth anything, then just get rid of it. After all, you can just get another for pennies if you need to (and you probably won't).

Sounds like the Super-ego thing. When you use the term "Super-ego" now, people can't help thinking of a Superman or Super-egotist but it was diagramatic in Freud's Latin-derived schema of the psyche: the Super-ego sat on top of the Ego, stifling it, like a negative, parental voice.

It's the voice that says, "Don't chuck it, it might come in handy!" or "Don't go out without an umbrella!" or "Unplug the telly in a storm, because it might blow up!"

Just now and then, the Super-ego says something worth listening to. Mainly, it's a confounded pest to those afflicted! :wear:

There is a broadly similar concept in Transactional Analysis, which is an approach to therapy by giving the patient an easily visualised set of tools and mechanisms so that with some degree of self-awareness and guidance, they can recognise what is going on in their own heads and in their relationships and use strategies to improve or correct things.

TA has a 3 part personality model: Parent, Adult, and Child.

The Child has some similarities to the Id. It is that part of your personality that responds naturally and reflexively to the world around you. The child is the source of sudden flashes of need, anger, fear, laughter, etc.

The Adult is in some respects similar to the Ego. It is the rational and reasoning part of the mind.

The Parent is the one that is most like the Superego. The parent is your internalised interpretation of the things you have observed from authority figures such as your parents. It may be nurturing, or judgemental, or over protective (etc.) depending on how your parents (or other authority figures) acted in your formative years, but as interpreted and internalised through the filters of the person you were at the age that you were observing it.

What happens with the formation of the "Parent" is complex because of course your actual parents sometimes behave as if they were Parent, Adult, or Child, and you may completely misinterpret their actions or motives and internalise the wrong message.

A simple example of these three states of you personality is if you are driving your car and someone overtakes you and cuts you up.

If you are generally in a good mood, or if you are already in a bad mood, you may react as a CHILD. That may come out as hooting and gesticulating, but quickly forgetting about it, or it may come as a more aggressive reaction, or even as "taking the challenge" and racing them.

The same thing could happen in the same circumstances when you have your family in the back of the car, or you are on your way to an important meeting and you may react from the PARENT part of your personality. This may come out as something judgemental. ("Look at that idiot. People like that shouldn't be in the road.") You may well use expressions and a tone of voice that you heard your father or mother use.

If you are in the right place mentally when it happens, you may react as a rational ADULT. You may think, "That person is driving aggressively. I'll drop back a bit in case he does anything else dangerous. He could be racing someone so I'll check my mirror."

The point is that you are the same person, presented with the same basic stimulus according to where you happen to be "in your head" at that very moment.

There is a lot more to this. I have read extensively on TA, although many years ago. However, for this post I just wanted to highlight some of the similarities of the Parent ego state to Freud's idea of the Superego. They are not identical, but they are two models with similarities.

Last time I moved I brought myself to throw about five things and I've needed them all at some point. Whereas half the other stuff I brought I haven't touched.

Gosh, if I was to list all my irrational fears, I think the forum would run out of storage space.

As a kid I used to have this fear that there was a dead woman with crazy curly hair and really big bugged out eyes that would show up under my bed at night as soon as the lights went out. I used to be able to hit the light switch and jump into my bed before the darkness hit. lol

Now as an adult, I still feel a little bit creeped out every time I shut the light and walk the 6 feet to my bed at night. I don't think it's because of the "dead lady" anymore but, I always think there's some bug or gross thing I am going to step and it will stick to my feet which means it will be in bed with me all night. I guess I should just invest in a pair of slippers, right? lol

Mikefule,

I was watching a couple of programs late last night that more or less confirmed what you wrote above.
There is' however, a more practical aspect to this. And it is related to having spent money (i.e invested treasure) in the items. Also the intense dislike of waste. Particularly wasting items that are perfectly good and usable.

Back in the day, as is sometimes said, people handed stuff they didn't need to others who did need it. But today everyone has everything they need. Or can get a new version of it for relatively little money at a moments notice. So they are not interested in 'cast-offs'.

I was visiting my brother, and just down the road from him there is a garden in which is laying all kinds of tools. Hand and power. I ask bro' about this and he said 'oh, that's Mikey, he just goes out and buys new if he needs something.'

It was almost heartbreaking to see all those tools just rusting away in the grass.

Of course, I may just be a dinosaur with outdated values.

INT21.

Mikefule,

I was watching a couple of programs late last night that more or less confirmed what you wrote above.
There is' however, a more practical aspect to this. And it is related to having spent money (i.e invested treasure) in the items. Also the intense dislike of waste. Particularly wasting items that are perfectly good and usable.

Back in the day, as is sometimes said, people handed stuff they didn't need to others who did need it. But today everyone has everything they need. Or can get a new version of it for relatively little money at a moments notice. So they are not interested in 'cast-offs'.

I was visiting my brother, and just down the road from him there is a garden in which is laying all kinds of tools. Hand and power. I ask bro' about this and he said 'oh, that's Mikey, he just goes out and buys new if he needs something.'

It was almost heartbreaking to see all those tools just rusting away in the grass.

Of course, I may just be a dinosaur with outdated values.

INT21.
What a waste! Did nobody tell him to build a shed?

He had built a large decking area. That appears to be why some of the power tools were left out. I was later given the decking. Very useful wood.

But (and he was a mechanic) he just didn't seem to put any value on the tools.

Fella should be flogged.

Gosh, if I was to list all my irrational fears, I think the forum would run out of storage space.

As a kid I used to have this fear that there was a dead woman with crazy curly hair and really big bugged out eyes that would show up under my bed at night as soon as the lights went out. I used to be able to hit the light switch and jump into my bed before the darkness hit. lol

Now as an adult, I still feel a little bit creeped out every time I shut the light and walk the 6 feet to my bed at night. I don't think it's because of the "dead lady" anymore but, I always think there's some bug or gross thing I am going to step and it will stick to my feet which means it will be in bed with me all night. I guess I should just invest in a pair of slippers, right? lol

That is an oddly specific irrational fear you had as a child, Michael 59!

To address your adult irrational fear, you could get a bedside lamp and so be close enough to turn out the light after you're in bed. That would enable you to read comfortably in bed as well, and wake up in the middle of the night with a crick in your neck and slobber on your book as I sometimes have. You should probably invest in some slippers too, as gigantic, hairy spiders can abruptly materialize exactly where you need to walk, even with the lights on, just when you most need to relax and get ready to sleep. Slippers may not help you feel protected when you have to relieve yourself during the night, when even bigger, hairier spiders like to mope around on the ceiling just above the toilet, but you can always toss a slipper at the creature in an attempt to scare it away. Afterwards, it is fine to improvise a chamber pot.

A colleague brought in his new work rucksack yesterday and binned the old one, which I immediately retrieved. He reminded me that it's knackered - torn and worn out - but I showed him the bits I wanted, such as straps, webbing, release clips and functioning zips. It'll get a wash today and will then be cannibalised as necessary.

That is an oddly specific irrational fear you had as a child, Michael 59!

To address your adult irrational fear, you could get a bedside lamp and so be close enough to turn out the light after you're in bed. That would enable you to read comfortably in bed as well, and wake up in the middle of the night with a crick in your neck and slobber on your book as I sometimes have. You should probably invest in some slippers too, as gigantic, hairy spiders can abruptly materialize exactly where you need to walk, even with the lights on, just when you most need to relax and get ready to sleep. Slippers may not help you feel protected when you have to relieve yourself during the night, when even bigger, hairier spiders like to mope around on the ceiling just above the toilet, but you can always toss a slipper at the creature in an attempt to scare it away. Afterwards, it is fine to improvise a chamber pot.

Jesus, IbisNibs! I'll never sleep again now! I have arachnophobia.

I couldn't remember how to spell arachnophobia so I googled it. Someone asked Wikipedia how to use arachnophobia in a sentence. How's this for ironic:

Example sentences from Wikipedia that use the word arachnophobia: His only fear is arachnophobia . An abnormal fear of spiders is called arachnophobia . They escape with help from Michael, who overcomes his arachnophobia .

I'm so scared of spiders, its almost debilitating. I found one on a towel, the other day, it was about the size of a penny (including legs) and i almost fainted. I sat in another room sobbing at the thought of it doing its spidery things on my towel. After about an hour, and a lot of texts to the other half, I managed to pick up the towel and put it in the washing machine to drown spidey. Ugh. I dont know why I'm so scared of them, my parents arnt that bothered by them but I've always been so scared. Also, daddy longlegs. I feel sick just thinking about them :yuck:

I used to be really scared of heights, too, but I did a para-sail for my 39th birthday in September and now feel like I'm over that fear. I've booked me and Mr.Cherrybomb a trip to London to go on the London eye and I'm looking forward to it, a few months back, i would have panicked just thinking of it! :cool:

What does a 'nuffink' look like?

Not sure, but there may be one on your collar.

Come on folks, their ordinary house spiders. Not the Aussie killer arachnids.

I always carefully remove them from the bath etc and set them free.

Also they appear to be creatures of habit. We have a couple that appear about the same time every night and trace the same route across the lounge floor.

That could be read as they will be blamed with reason.

Yup, it's graffiti found on a wall near the site of one of the Jack the Ripper murders. Nobody knows who wrote it or what it means or whether or not it was connected to the murder.

Back