• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

An Unusual Icicle

A

Anonymous

To all:

On November 2, 2003, my wife pulled a package of frozen vegetables from our freezer and showed it to me. It had a kind of icicle protruding upward from the edge of the box, about 2 1/2 inches long and half and inch wide. My wife said she was only amused by the fact that it made the box look like a cell phone.

I, however, remembered some items I'd seen on the http://www.science-frontiers.com site, from articles in the publication. Science Frontiers has listed several different occasions when odd stalagmitic icicles have developed, under a number of circumstances. In issue #79, January-February 1992, for example, thr article "Spooky Spike", under the Geology section, describes an icicle growing upward, at a 45º angle from a dish used to provide water to birds, after a particularly cold night. This was thin, and ended with a spear-like head. In issues #100, #102 and #104, in the Geology or Geophysics sections, they discuss other such stalagmitic icicles forming in a birdbath and on top of an ice cube in a freezer! These were usually described as thin or prismatic in form, and not all formed at 45º angles.

One theory proposed in the November 2, 1991 edition of New Scientist was that the first spike formed due to the tendency of masses of water to expand as they freeze. Another theory upheld that water in liquid or ice form and water in the atmosphere attact as dipoles, and that, therefore, the icicle stalagmite grew by accretion around an irregularity in an ice sheet.

There was no icicle above the box in our freezer, to drip water onto the box and form a "normal" stalagmite. The box was on the top shelf, on the door, so there was nowhere above it a down hanging icicle could have dropped water onto it. Nor was there anything like a body of water on the box, to form a stalagmite by expanding upward. The theory about water accreting from the air is the closest of all those theories to explaining how this icicle formed.

It should be mentioned, however, that this formed thicker than the ones mentioned, and was circular, not prismatic. However, the earliest form of the icicle may have been like a prism. Also, this seemed to form straight up, not at 45º.

Below is a photograph of the icicle, from several angles.

It may be interesting to note if there are other similar instances elsewhere, that can be mentioned. Too, it may not be as likely to have much of the component mineral constituents of rock stalagmites present in the air of caves, but some can be present in water droplets in the air. It may be interesting to hear if there are any oddly shaped stalgmites that may have, at least partially, formed through an accretion.

Julian Penrod

julianpenrod: Yep the New Scientist article had a good explnation of the outdoor stalagmites but yours is indoor so is diffierent.

It looks to me that the ice has been forced up out of the box - when it freezes it expands and if the box was completely full it would expand through that slot forming the stalagmite.

Is it possible that the box (semi) defrosted when coming home from the shop as that would certianly help.

Emps

A few years back, at work, I froze 10ml blood in a 'universal' bottle and it formed a stubby spike. Maybe I should try freezing some blood again and take a photo. We often freeze milk but I've never seen a spike with them.

Mr Penrod, your spinach was very pleased to see you.:)

comments on a reply to the original post

To all:

Emperor's suggestion for the formation of the stalagmatic icicle on the package of frozen vegetables in our freezer does not - pun unintended - hold water. They side with one theory advanced in New Scientist magazine, against the other, suggesting that the icicle was caused by the expanding of water in the vegetable package, as it froze. This will have, presumably, exited through some "slit" to form the icicle. Emperor asks if the vegetables hadn't slightly defrosted, on the way home, causing them to have liquid water ready to freeze and expand, once in the freezer.

Among other things, there is never as much water in a package of frozen vegetables as was evident in the icicle!

Too, there is no "slit" through which the water could escape. There may be a fold in the wrapper, but that surrounds the box; it's not a hole into the box!

If it was caused by expanding water, the water would have to have some way to travel up to the end of the icicle, to form new layers! Examples which were ascribed to water expansion had hollow tubes inside, through which water could rise! It is highly unlikely that water would flow up the sides of an ice stack, especially after the ice stack had covered over the "slit" the water is supposed to exit through! And why would the water flow up? Wouldn't it more likely flow across the top of the package, or down the sides?

Among the more significant points, though, is, though there was some water in the vegetables in the box, if it liquified, then refroze, the first thing it would do would be to reoccupy the empty spaces it had occupied before! There was space between the vegetables for water to seep into, while the package was frozen before. Any water thawing out would have all that empty space to expand back into first, before leaving the package! And that is ignoring the fact that some could even have escaped from the package, while it was liquid!

Another point to bring out is that this happened after the package was in the freezer for some time! If there was any expanding of the water through the package, it would have happened before. Too, so common a situation would lead to this development being equally common, for many people, rather than an apparent anomaly!

Of the two suggestions in New Scientist, then, the one apparently closer to the truth is that based on accretion of water molecules from the air. Indeed, this seems very much in line with something I have been noticing, and commenting on, elsewhere.

That weather in many areas seems abnormal has, by now, become a matter of course. One of the more unusual manifestations, in the past year, though, was the "land hurricanes", in the United States. Huge, spiralling masses, they worked their way across the country numerous times in the early part of 2003. Rotating counterclockwise, and moving at about 10 to 20 mph, they resembled hurricanes. However, they moved west to east; they had the strongest weather concentrated in their tails, rather than near their eyes; and they formed over land. I have speculated that some substance is being deposited in the air which is gaseous, more reactive than water, and has a lower thermal inertia than water. This would make it possible to release its energy to the air more readily than water, making it predominate over water in weather formation, and would make the large-scale formation of cyclonic storms possible over land.

But, if water is being joined by some other substance in the air, there is a possibility that there may be signs of water being, essentially, "squeezed out", as the new substance increased in presence. Such seemed, actually, to have happened, during 2003. Many times, paper in our house would be unusually flaccid, as if it had absorbed an abnormal amount of moisture. Sugar and salt couldn't be open more than a couple of hours, apparently, before they would cake up almost completely! Even on days that didn't feel humid, surfaces only slightly lower - at best - than surroundings would develop thick sheens of condensation! The icicle seems only to support the idea that water is being "forced out" of the air, by some alien substance being introduced!

Julian Penrod

This weeks New Scientist has an article on ice spikes.

It's much too long to type in, but if you want to know how to make them yourself in a regular plastic ice cube try then it says that you should used distilled water and use a freezer that's around minus 7degrees.

It also recommends taking everything else out of the freezer first so that the air can circulate.

Back