• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Angel of The Thames

With the subject matter, the location, the supposed on-video sighting of the Angel by c-lister David Grant, and the general low quality ans flimsiness of it all... An online viral campaign for the Dr Who Christmas Special, or the BBC 3 spin off Torchwood starting very soon...?

This popped up for them Torchwood this month: http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/ and the series revolves around a government department in central London concerned with alien/paranormal affairs.

Oh, apparently it's set in Cardiff.

Cardiff?!?

Well, I guess they had a UFO flap once in Broad Haven, and it's only along the coast...

Diabolik8 said:
I don't think there was anything prior to a single news item (at least on the web to my knowledge) which some monkey has taken & ran with.

What we would need of course is some PRE-Web documentation. Surely this wouldn't have escaped the attention of folklorists and paranormalists (both) down the decades and even the centuries?

One of the problems of probable Web hoaxes of this kind is that they acquire a certain ersatz legitimacy by the mere fact of being published and discussed.

Anybody can sit down at the computer and keyboard:

To Whom It May Concern: My name is Major Algonquin Z. Snark, United States Air Force, and I served for almost a dozen years on Level 17 of the above-top-secret subterranean Dulce Exo-Biology Research Center, as liason between Terrestrial scientists and reptilian UFO Greys from Strontium Six. Now I am on the run for my life, trying to reveal the truths I know before I am killed.

Hit "Submit" and this drivel is going to be all over the woolier UFO and Underground Civilizations lists within days. In fact even some of the better sites will post it as "possibly true."

And of course when the USAF eventually reveals, truthfully, that they have absolutely no record of any Maj. Algonquin Z. Snark, they're lying, suppressing the truth, have "erased" Snark from the data banks and have most likely already liquidated him.

OldTimeRadio said:
One of the problems of probable Web hoaxes of this kind is that they acquire a certain ersatz legitimacy by the mere fact of being published and discussed.

Anybody can sit down at the computer and keyboard:

To Whom It May Concern: My name is Major Algonquin Z. Snark, United States Air Force, and I served for almost a dozen years on Level 17 of the above-top-secret subterranean Dulce Exo-Biology Research Center, as liason between Terrestrial scientists and reptilian UFO Greys from Strontium Six. Now I am on the run for my life, trying to reveal the truths I know before I am killed.

Hit "Submit" and this drivel is going to be all over the woolier UFO and Underground Civilizations lists within days. In fact even some of the better sites will post it as "possibly true."

And of course when the USAF eventually reveals, truthfully, that they have absolutely no record of any Maj. Algonquin Z. Snark, they're lying, suppressing the truth, have "erased" Snark from the data banks and have most likely already liquidated him.

Yes and no. I agree with the ersatz legitimacy issue as the 'creating the reality of...' point is always going to be an issue with a 'post-modern' society/culture.

However, despite having a tin-foil hat licence myself (imagine my concern about my inclusion on that particular governmental database!), there is no way the usual 'they're suppressing the truth' arguments can stick here as there are too many factual holes in this, whether it's the fake Pepys reference, the fake bible reference, the doctored etching etc., etc..

Back