• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Angels & Demons

gattino

Justified & Ancient
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11699849

"The Vatican has warned Catholic bishops around the world to monitor carefully a secretive traditionalist sect which prays to angels to combat demons.

Opus Angelorum, which means "the work of angels" in Latin, was founded by an Austrian housewife who died in 1978.

She claimed to have identified the angels and demons who were battling for the control of human beings.

The Church said some members of the sect were carrying out "activities that disturb the ecclesiastical community".

'Possessed'
The BBC's David Willey in Rome says Opus Angelorum first attracted the attention of the Vatican 30 years ago, after the death of its founder, a woman from the Austrian Tyrol called Gabriele Bitterlich.

Bitterlich claimed to have been in contact with an archangel and to have written down the names of hundreds of angels and demons, our correspondent says.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

The Congregation has learned that very discreet propaganda in favour of this wayward movement... is taking place”

The sect - which operates mainly in German-speaking Europe, Brazil and India - claims that women who have had abortions are possessed by the devil.

The activities of Bitterlich's followers, including dozens of Catholic priests and nuns, eventually attracted the attention of the Vatican which ordered an investigation, our correspondent adds.

According to a letter sent by the head of the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, in 1992 members of Opus Angelorum agreed to follow the doctrine of the Church in return for official recognition.

"In particular, [its] members were not to make use of the 'names' of angels derived from the alleged private revelations attributed to Mrs Gabriele Bitterlich and they were not to teach, spread or make use of the theories originating from these alleged revelations," Cardinal William Levada said.

"Furthermore, they were reminded of the duty to follow strictly all liturgical laws, in particular those relating to the Holy Eucharist."

However, several members of the sect, including some priests, "have not accepted the norms given by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and seek to restore what, according to them, would be the 'authentic Opus Angelorum'", the letter warned.

"The Congregation has learned that very discreet propaganda in favour of this wayward movement, which is outside of any ecclesiastical control, is taking place, aimed at presenting it as if it were in full communion with the Catholic Church."

Our correspondent says Opus Angelorum has no known connection with the best-selling novel, Angels and Demons, written by Dan Browne, who has been criticised by the Vatican for his fictional works involving superstition in the Catholic Church."

Am just reading the current edition of FT (I'm late due to reading other stuff) and am transfixed by the James Tissot paintings. What interests me in this one, is the scale of the devil to a human Jesus.

The Nephilim were written about being at least 7 foot tall or more if I recall correctly.

I just wondered if this scale comes from the Book of Enoch (which is considered heretical in some quarters?). Is this where Tissot's depiction of the devil originates? I do not have much knowledge in this area, but as stated, was struck by the size.

I have the basics of a novel outline (which probably will never get written) that involves a Nephilim, so have a basic interest anyway: https://archive.org/details/brooklynmuseum-o4454-jesus-carried-up-to-a-pinnacle

For those who can read French, here is a book dealing with the early christian obsession about being surrounded by hostile demons : "Le Cloitre des Ombres", Jean-Claude Schmidt. It is an edited translation of the Liber Revelationum by Richalmus of Schontal, complete with an historical analysis of the contemporary mindset.

Richalm of Schontal (died in 1219) was the cistercian abbot of the Schontal Monastery, in southern Germany. As an ageing monk in a poor monastery where hunger, cold and illness were constant companions, he lived what we would nowadays consider a miserable life of endless suffering.

In his final years, Richalm started to hear voices and soon realized that these were mainly the voices of the demons whose mission it was to persecute the monks and lead them astray. Telling of his discovery to his fellow monks, they waited for him to die before publishing the Liber Revelationum in order to spread this terrfying "discovery" (and perhaps they wanted their former abbot to be recognized as a saint). According to Richalm, the monks' dwelling, and even their bodies were overcrowded by a hierarchy of demons intent on ruining their life. They caused them pain and itching during the masses, they encouraged laziness and an unnatural reluctance to wake up at one or two in the morning to chant Matins, and so on and so forth. Rhumatism ? The work of the demons ! Flatulences ? The work of demons ! Almost every pain in life was due to some demon or another.

Yet, because he heard them plotting and planning, Richalm knew how to fight their misfeats : by the sign of the cross. So he recommended his fellow monks to sign themselves whenever they were seized by pain or discomfort. He told them : "The sign of the cross causes terrible pain to demons. Yet, as their purpose is to torture you, they are ready to stand this pain for a while if it helps them reach their goal. So sign yourself, and if it doesn't get better, keep signing yourself nonetheless ..." (he did not say it exactly like that. I summarize his point).

Theologically speaking, the book does not make any significant breakthrough. However, it illustrates in a very vivid way the incredible pregnance of the faith in demons in religious orders the middle ages.

I think Richalm's "Liber" has not yet been translated in English, but it is available in French or German for those curious to dive into this medieval mindset.

After reading this book, I was left to wonder how much a person like Richalm would be classified as suffering from a psychiatric disorder nowadays. A few days after, while browsing books in a library, I was seized by an intolerable urge to go the toilets. Alas ! No toilets were to be found in the vicinity. So, as a kind of joke, I resorted to Richalm's method and made the sign of the cross on my belly, not expecting any result. And lo and behold ! My strong and irrestistible desire to poo instantly vanished. I am no Christian. Neither do I believe that "demons" are the cause of diarrhea, covid and flu ... But the fact is that at that time and moment, Richalm's panacea worked for me ! :chuckle:

Now I wonder : is it really necessary to believe in a placebo for it to work ? But that's another story ...

Back