• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Animal Falls: Falls Or Rains Of Animals (Frogs, Fish, Etc.)

A frogs shower in Sicily

It was in July 30. There are two reports about that (sorry they're in Italian):

http://corrieredelmezzogiorno.corriere. ... 7208.shtml

http://www.cataniatoday.it/cronaca/inva ... ranci.html

The village where it happened is Paradiso Degli Aranci ("Orange trees paradise"). After a flood the people found frogs everywhere in the houses, in the courtyards, in the streets.
They called the firemen and the "Centro Recupero Fauna Selvatica" (Wildlife Recovery Center) that studied the phenomena.
This organization gived the final assumption: the frogs came from the close pond in Ippocampo di Mare, the didn't fall from the sky.

Re: A frogs shower in Sicily

FreddyKrueger said:
It was in July 30. There are two reports about that (sorry they're in Italian):

http://corrieredelmezzogiorno.corriere. ... 7208.shtml

http://www.cataniatoday.it/cronaca/inva ... ranci.html

The village where it happened is Paradiso Degli Aranci ("Orange trees paradise"). After a flood the people found frogs everywhere in the houses, in the courtyards, in the streets.
They called the firemen and the "Centro Recupero Fauna Selvatica" (Wildlife Recovery Center) that studied the phenomena.
This organization gived the final assumption: the frogs came from the close pond in Ippocampo di Mare, the didn't fall from the sky.

Maybe they escaped from a French restaurant. Were any of them missing limbs?

ramonmercado: "Maybe they escaped from a French restaurant. Were any of them missing limbs?"

Horrors ahead:

A synchronicity for me. My early-hours YouTube treats (don't ask how you get there, it's like a portal that opens about 3 am) included beheaded and skinned frogs dancing around and, as supporting feature, frogs' legs dancing to the tune of salt. I assume the salt creates an electrical charge.

No, I did not put frog-torture in the Find-box! :?

edit to credit quote.

A golfing story to beat them all as shark falls from the sky at San Juan Hills Golf Club in California
Josh Voorhees , The Washington Post Friday 26 October 2012

The Capistrano Dispatch is the leader in the clubhouse for the most bizarre story of the week: A live two-foot long leopard shark appears to have fallen from the sky on Monday and landed near the 12th tee on the San Juan Hills Golf Club in California.

The shark was discovered around 4 p.m. by an on-duty course marshal, who immediately called the clubhouse to report the displaced fish. "It was just wriggling around," Director of Club Operations Melissa McCormack said. "Honestly, this is the weirdest thing that's happened here."

The marshal picked up the shark, placed it in the back of his golf cart and drove it back to the clubhouse. There, cart attendant Bryan Stizer, a San Juan Capistrano resident, briefly placed the shark into a bucket filled with water and a bit of salt, before clocking out on his break to drive the shark out to Baby Beach in Dana Point, where it was released back into the ocean. "I thought he was dead," Stizer said. "When I dropped him into the water, he just lied their for a few seconds, but then he did a twist and shot off into the water." 8)

McCormack has so far offered the best guess as to how the shark managed to get to the course from the Pacific Ocean, which is about four miles away: A predatory bird — most likely a peregrine falcon or an osprey — may have snatched it from the water and dropped it over the course. The supporting evidence for that theory is the puncture wounds on the fish the golf course staff reported.

Julianne Steers, the chief aquarist at the nearby Ocean Institute in Dana Point, told the paper that McCormack's theory was a good one, but suggested another possibility: The shark traveled by human hands. "I have heard and seen instances," she said, before adding: "You hate to think a human could do this." The supporting evidence for that theory? Well, people are weird.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 27535.html

Another rain of fish, "tornado to blame" say &quot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27298939

"Villagers in west Sri Lanka have said they have been surprised and delighted by an unusual rainfall of small fish.

The edible fish fell during a storm and are believed to have been lifted out of a river during a strong wind.

Villagers in the district of Chilaw said they heard something heavy falling and found scores of fish with a total weight of 50kg (75lbs).

It is not the first such incident in Sri Lanka - in 2012, a case of "prawn rain" was recorded in the south.
Scientists say that "fish rain" usually occurs when swirling whirlwinds over relatively shallow water develops into waterspouts and sucks in almost anything in the water including fish, eels and even frogs."

Well, Ok, but as always, why just a rain of fish, not a mix of fish, frogs, eels, etc?

Re: Another rain of fish, "tornado to blame" say &

ghughesarch said:
Well, Ok, but as always, why just a rain of fish, not a mix of fish, frogs, eels, etc?

Ssshhhh! Snoopeth not! You'll make science stop working.

That's bothered me,too.

It rains frogs. Why just frogs? Sameo-sameo fishes. Just fish?

Two ideas spring to mind. First, it isn't going to rain turtles, darn things are too heavy. Or crocodiles-for which let us give thanks. Small fishes may be all the waterspout can lift.

Second, if the fall is mostly fish, other things are going to be overlooked. A few eels, a few crayfish, some water weed...but mostly fish, so it goes down as a rain of fish, or frogs.

What says the company assembled?

I think you're right. It looks rather cruel to me. Not only do the fish hit the water from high up, which must hurt, there's a risk that the pilot will miss the target. :cry:

However, it's done a lot so we must be wrong! ;)

The waterspout theory doesn't explain that one, what with the water being frozen and all. Only thing I can think of are a flock of birds unable to hang onto their meals, but that's a bit of a stretch, and how would they get their beaks into the ground beneath the snow anyway?

A good, old-fashioned fish fall story.

'It's raining fish!': Mother captures the bizarre moment her children head outside after a rainstorm and discover puddles full of FISH
  • It seems to have been raining fish near Winton, in Outback Queensland
  • Tahnee Oakhill captured video footage of her family finding small fish
  • The perch fish were found in puddles on the family's cattle property
  • Dr Peter Unmack said it was unlikely that the fish had fallen from the sky
It wasn’t raining cats and dogs in Outback Queensland this week, but it does seem to have been raining fish.

Drought-stricken Winton saw some much needed rain, and with it some fishy friends, far from any waterholes.

Following heavy downfall on Thursday, Tahnee Oakhill captured video footage of her family finding small fish at their remote cattle station 70 kilometres northwest of Winton in Queensland.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-outside-rainstorm-discover-puddles-FISH.html

I love a good fishfall. Here is a recent one in Banff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37060192

An Aberdeenshire man has asked for help in identifying fish which have appeared outside his house.

Kevin Bain found about 75 small fish in his back garden on Thursday.

He believes their arrival is the result of a waterspout which sucked the animals from the sea and dropped them on his property.

Mr Bain said he thinks the two-inch fish are sand eels but is trying to find out more.

sand eels

I can't remember sand-eels being mentioned on this board until this week. Yet, suddenly, they have made a double appearance! Once in a post by rynner about Puffins (they eat them) now this. Maybe this should be in coincidences? :)

I think rynner has created a classic Fortean phenomenon - though I need to check the dates.

Edited: 20.43 pm

Well, the Aberdeen eels appeared on Thursday, 11th.

rynner posted his story yesterday but

the Plymouth Herald story he quoted dates from - guess what? - 11th August!

I now declare 11th August to be Sand-eel [or Sandeel (as the P. H. prefers)] Day! :glee:

Last edited:
News
Woman says catfish fell from sky, striking her near Art Museum
Updated: SEPTEMBER 9, 2016 — 6:50 PM
by William Bender, STAFF WRITER

Sometimes you eat the catfish, and sometimes the catfish falls from the sky and smacks you in the face.

Lisa Lobree learned that lesson Labor Day morning when she was walking to meet her CoreFitness class near the Art Museum, heard a "rustling" in the trees, and then -.

Lisa Lobree, of Fairmount, was struck in the face Monday by an estimated five-pound catfish that fell out of the sky. She was in bad shape immediately after, but posed with the fish later on.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...l_from_sky__striking_her_near_Art_Museum.html

Lisa Lobree =

AKA So Reliable, Labile Sore, El Arse Boil, Seal Boiler, A. Broil Eeels, El Lo Rabies, I. Labels Roe, I'l Bare A. Sole, El Basil Roe, Is Labor Eel, Lie Slab Roe, Lo Arse Bile, Be El Sailor, Bro Eel Sail etc etc.

Her destiny was concealed in her name! :eek:

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. (WFLA) – A Winter Haven homeowner heard a loud crash and found a new meaning for flying fish.

“We were watching TV and we heard a huge crash!” homeowner Leonard Vanderpool said.

When Vanderpool went to inspect where the noise had come from, he found a large hole in their screened-in porch and a catfish swimming in the backyard pool.

“I come out and there’s a big hole in my screen, and there’s this big bullhead swimming in the water. It didn’t kill him or anything. He’s going crazy. The water was moving like crazy,” Vanderpool said.

Not knowing how the fish had just fallen from the sky, he called Winter Haven Police.

An officer helped get the fish out of the pool, and took a few photos.

“The fish was swimming like crazy. We took ten minutes to get him out of the water. Then the policeman put him in a big bucket that I had. It just barely fit in there,” Vanderpool said....

http://wfla.com/2017/04/04/winter-haven-homeowner-calls-police-after-flying-catfish-lands-in-pool/

Cops say a bird dropped it, maybe.

Fish fall in Oroville California.

http://www.actionnewsnow.com/story/...own-from-clouds-on-oroville-elementary-school
----------------------------------------------------
An Oroville elementary school was hit with one of the most interesting weather phenomenon we’ve ever seen!

According to school officials, overnight Tuesday, Stanford Elementary in Oroville was hit with a wave of weird weather… it rained fish!

School officials said the school was covered in tiny fish as a storm cloud passed over the elementary school.

When students and teachers began arriving on campus, they said they thought someone had played a prank, covering the grounds and even roofs with the tiny fish, hundreds covering the campus.

But then, it started to rain fish again during school classes and recess, according to the schools librarian, Rachael Thompson.

While incredibly rare, the phenomenon isn’t unheard of. According to Discovery Science, it happens occasionally when a water spouts forms above a relatively shallow body of water with small sea life.

The spout sucks the small creatures into the clouds and carries them, sometimes for miles and miles, even after the water spout has stopped spinning. But keep in mind, no official explanation has been presented thus far.

Hadn't heard of this one before,

29th August
Travel writer Peter Mundy recorded snails dropping from the sky and collecting in the brims of people's hats

While sales of umbrellas and rain coats may have soared in recent weeks in view of the wet weather we’ve been experiencing, the heavy downpours of late have nothing on the mysterious meteorological event that occasioned the fall of something far more unusual than raindrops from the skies over Weymouth in 1635.

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/15497049.When_it_rained_snails_on_Weymouth/?ref=rss

I was driving with my then-girlfriend on a country road a couple of years back, and a red kite suddenly flew across the road, with its prey in its talons. Just as we intersected its flight path, the bird dropped the rabbit - right onto the windscreen. The poor bloodied corpse just kind of stuck there, its open eyes pointed at my screaming better half.
That's when I decided to use the windscreen wipers to dislodge it, except that made the whole situation worse, what with blood going everywhere and the rabbit languidly waving and flopping, its face firmly stuck to the glass.
Didn't stop me laughing like a drain about it afterwards, mind.

Back