• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Animal Skeleton Of Unknown Species Found In Eastern Turkey

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
What could this beastie be?

Animal skeleton of unknown species found in eastern Turkey​

BY ANADOLU AGENCY​

IĞDIR, TURKEY ARTS
NOV 11, 2021 4:53 PM GMT+3
A photo of the animal skeleton, Iğdır, eastern Turkey, Nov. 11, 2021. (AA Photo)
A photo of the animal skeleton, Iğdır, eastern Turkey, Nov. 11, 2021. (AA Photo)

Digging in the yard of an old spinning factory in the eastern province of Iğdır last week, some workers discovered an animal skeleton of an unknown species.
The skeleton, which remained intact under the garden, is about 1 meter (3.3 feet) tall and has the teeth of a predator. After the workers noticed that some of the tissue attached to the skeleton had yet not deteriorated, they reported their discovery to the academics at Iğdır University’s Biodiversity Application and Research Center.

The academics came to the area where the excavation was made and took the skeleton to the university. They will conduct research to determine the species of the animal skeleton at the university.

Belkıs Muca Yiğit, a lecturer at Iğdır University, told Anadolu Agency (AA) that they will try to find out the species of the animal after examination. “Then we will ensure that this skeleton is preserved in a museum,” Yiğit added. ...

https://www.dailysabah.com/arts/animal-skeleton-of-unknown-species-found-in-eastern-turkey/news

Fascinating !

Looks like the shape of a hare or rabbit , but with a dinosaur like tail, and teeth . Wow.

One in the eye for all the naysayers on Bigfoot ect. New species DO get found .

I'm guessing stoat or weasel that's missing its forelimbs below the elbow.
eac9a2445ae1ca8d24a3be2c4955d5d0.jpg

Looking closely at the teeth, the front teeth are those of a predator, while the rear teeth are like those of a ruminant.
Any ideas?

I'm guessing stoat or weasel that's missing its forelimbs below the elbow.
View attachment 48046
The skull's not a shape I'd expect from a mustelid. However, the skull is very dog-like. The way the spine is curved and the legs are stretched give the impression of a particularly long legged animal, but I suspect it wouldn't look that way in life. It could well be a dog, although the tail looks pretty long.

EDIT Perhaps a fox.

EDIT I'm really feeling red fox skeleton.

1636844989961.jpg

Last edited:
It’s curious that the body is almost perfectly halved. And the hip looks like it has a screw through it. The red fox skeleton does look very similar to the mystery find.

It looks rather like a greyhound to me.

View attachment 48078
It could be. My suspicion is that the tail looks a little long for it to be a greyhound. But there's such a variety of dog breeds, and variety within some dog breeds, and there's so much we can't easily tell from the photograph of the skeleton, it could very likely be a greyhound.

I was also thinking greyhound. The torso seems quite elongated.

This reminds me of the story from 2017 in India where they found remains at an abandoned factory and thought it was a dinosaur. It was a most likely a marten. (link to Doubtful News archive article on my Google Drive)

This one looks a bit bigger but it's nonsense for the headline to state it's an "unknown species" on the basis that they didn't have anyone knowledgeable look at it yet. Commence random guessing by people who know little about vertebrate zoology - that's the sole purpose of these articles, for clicks for people to comment with a guess.

This reminds me of the story from 2017 in India where they found remains at an abandoned factory and thought it was a dinosaur. It was a most likely a marten. (link to Doubtful News archive article on my Google Drive)

This one looks a bit bigger but it's nonsense for the headline to state it's an "unknown species" on the basis that they didn't have anyone knowledgeable look at it yet. Commence random guessing by people who know little about vertebrate zoology - that's the sole purpose of these articles, for clicks for people to comment with a guess.
Me too. That thing had the skull and body proportions of a mustelid, and I think a few of us spotted that immediately. Really, these are fun distractions but they're non-news stories.

Maybe we should start with what we might expect to find in the area?
Stray dogs
I checked earlier. Red foxes do live in the region. I'm confident it's a small to medium sized canid, without knowing the age of the animal at death. I suppose a dog is most likely, but I'm not going down the rabbit hole of comparing dog breed skeletons. If it's a wild beastie, I think the red fox is the best match.

IIRC the article said the animal was a meter tall, but I don't want to click on the article again to fact check.

Looks just like a dog, just missing the forelimbs past whatever canine equivalent of the elbow is.

EDIT:
The canids native to Turkey are the gray wolf, red fox, and golden jackal.

1636974588029.png

Here's a wolf skeleton; I can't find a picture of a juvenile but it could be a match, given the size of the skeleton in the OP.

1636974795374.png

This is a jackal, apologies for the image quality.

Last edited:
At first I suspected this skeleton indicated the Göbekli Te-Pekingese had survived into modern times.

Upon realizing the skeleton was found in Turkey's far eastern Iğdır province, I think it's more likely to suggest unexpectedly late survival of the giant Mountain Ara-rat. :thought:

In the original photograph, the shoulder blade seems too short; perhaps it was broken off. Also, its hard to determine the length of the neck as a proportion of the rib cage. In any case, the proportions are close to all the suggestions, but to me, different aspects (as far as I could see) do not fit any of them.

It might have traveled there from Sumatra, but that is a story for which the world is not yet prepared.
Either that, or it is a curious incident of a dog in the night-time.

His mother was a Jackal!!

Yep prob that .

Back