• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Animation

tom and Jerry, any loony tunes, and of the more slapstick and less PC Disney, Mulan, Aristocats, Akira, Robotech, Scooby Doo (the ultimate fortean cartoon) talespin, top cat, jamie and the magic torch (a must if you had a bunk bed.) the wombles, Laputa, dick dastardly, the flintstones, there must be more

does the Dark crystal count as animation? (It must be the ultimate pupprt show)

never into superhero stuff but did like Battle of the Planets (why d`yer think Im Homo Aves?) the comic was interesting but displeased the fans.

recent good flick, `Princess Mononuke` (loads of delightful detail for the japanofile)

What about Daft Punks music videos?

http://www.furryfans.com/directory.htm (there is a sexual angle here)
http://www.cartoonresearch.com/

...and I'm developing a taste for Big O (domed city where everyone lost their memories 40 years before, an ex-cop turned freelance 'Negotiator' investigates mysteries perhaps connected to the amnesia, perhaps not, calling on the aid of a giant Mecha -called 'Big O'- when things get hairy). Very atmospheric.

Zygon said:
...and I'm developing a taste for Big O

same here :D

its seems to have a 40's detective style to me

Just watched my copy of Daft Punks `Interstella 5555`

I had shelved it for a few months thinking it to be merely a music vid...

...Its `not` just a music vid, its an hour long cartoon with a plot in its own right. No dialog though, just music and some of the best animation I have ever seen.

particular amusing is Daft Punks own cameo; while the aliens are disguised as humans, the band themselves are enigmatically alien...

Count the Anime conventions!

Gotta give a plug to anything by Jay Ward: Bullwinkle & Rocky. Fractured Fairy Tales. Dudley Do-Right. George of the Jungle. Super Chicken.

I have an episode of George of the Jungle on tape. In one 22 minute childerens cartoon from the early 70's. Besides eye-blindingly psychedelic graphics, it manages to work in an enviornmental message, political corruption and at the very end a strong suggestion of bisexuality. As well as being side-splittingly funny.

lopaka said:
..I have an episode of George of the Jungle on tape. In one 22 minute childerens cartoon from the early 70's.
70s? Did it run that long? Harlan Ellison reviewed (raved about it) it in an early column of The Glass Teat (the 12th one, dated 28 December 1968), and it had been running for some time prior to that (except when being pre-empted by football games). Excuse: my overactive pedantry gland isn't responding to the medication yet.

(I remember loving George of the Jungle as a kid, when it received a brief airing in the UK: my memory may be at fault but I recall it being immediately followed by The Wild Wild West. Was it on BBC1? Anybody?)

Monkey Dust on BBC3 is brilliant. The 'Mr Hoppy' shorts are the funniest though.

'But I nevah done it!' :D

Quixote said:
Monkey Dust on BBC3 is brilliant. The 'Mr Hoppy' shorts are the funniest though.

'But I nevah done it!' :D

oh when will they bring monkey dust out on dvd :confused: that is an excellent choice quixote, what was the seals name?

what was the seals name?

Fleeble & Quixote

You've got to mean Serge the Seal of Death from the Mr Hell show. Cute baby seal vows violent and bloody revenge on the fashion industry after his Mum & Dad are clubbed to death by fur trappers. Cue gratuitous amounts of mega-violence. The show was pretty good, the demonic Mr Hell was voiced by the late Bob Monkhouse, a man I found buttock-clenchingly embarrasing in everything else he did; but who was actually pretty good in this. Of course, being home-grown animation that couldn't be put in a kids' slot, the BBC shoved it into a graveyard slot where it died the proverbial death.

Question:

I have seen some stuff on a US scifi channel animation series called Tripping the Rift, anyone seen it?

It seems like a mix of Futurama and Farscape

Seen it advertised, haven't seen it. I'll check it out Swan. Thanks for reminding me. :)

lopaka said:
Seen it advertised, haven't seen it. I'll check it out Swan. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Look forward to a review, no doubt we will get it here on Sky/SciFi/C4 if its any good

Futurama, Aeon Flux, Jayse and the Wheeled Warriors, Ren and Stimpy.

*nonchalant*

Aeon Flux live action you say hmm?

*sound of all dreams coming true at once*

THey are redoing Ren & Stempy and making it more raunchy on Spike TV here in the US. I am suprised none of you American guys have mentioned Stripperella also on Spike TV. (not a fan but my husband likes). Watched Tripping the Rift (sci/fi channel). It is trying way to hard to be controversial and offensive, just comes off a stupid and trying to hard ( my and husbands opinion). South Park more offensive and ten times funnier without trying nearly as hard.

gl5210 said:
I am suprised none of you American guys have mentioned Stripperella also on Spike TV. (not a fan but my husband likes).

Yes, I'm shocked!, shocked!, that I neglected to mention Striperella. ;) :D

Ren & Stimpy was on last night on Spike TV. I didn't watch, but for you fans out there you might want to check to see if you have the channel.

Quixote said:
Monkey Dust on BBC3 is brilliant.

saw the first series when 2 repeated, but I don't have digital yet:( the use of Eels' "Thats not really funny" for the theme tune was a class choice though (and a misleading title too).

haven't seen Ren and Stimpy for years, watched it a bit when it first started but lost interest.

South Park anyone?

oh, and am I the only person to have liked the animated bits on Spitting Image before it was axed, the one with John Major and Kenneth Clarke as Beavis and Butthead (or, Butthead and Butthead) was very good:imo:

"huh huh, so now we're Butthead and Butthead And Butthead?"
"no, hur hur, we're still Butthead and Butthead":D

Not seen a lot of South Park but I loved the movie version. I was expecting something really lame but it was brilliant. The Beavis and Butthead movie was surpringly good too, especially the 'trip' sequence.....or am I getting the two films confused :confused:

We are watching the animated Return of the King all I can say is BORING!!!!:cross eye

gl5210 said:
Watched Tripping the Rift (sci/fi channel). It is trying way to hard to be controversial and offensive, just comes off a stupid and trying to hard ( my and husbands opinion)...

Thats a real shame, it looked so damned promising as well...:(

Someone might have a different opinion. But my husband who will laugh at just about anything didn't laugh once. I think it was just trying to hard if you know what I mean. I can't explain it better than that. But hey, watch it and form your own opinion. Everyone is different, you might like it.

jima said:
oh, and am I the only person to have liked the animated bits on Spitting Image before it was axed, the one with John Major and Kenneth Clarke as Beavis and Butthead (or, Butthead and Butthead) was very good:imo:

"huh huh, so now we're Butthead and Butthead And Butthead?"
"no, hur hur, we're still Butthead and Butthead":D

yeah, burn the money, hur hur, cool. :laughing:

Lillith said:
The Beavis and Butthead movie was surpringly good too, especially the 'trip' sequence.....
By weird coincidence I downloaded the music to that (Ratfinks, Suicide Tanks and Cannibal Girls) last night...

GOOD NEWS

Familly Guy is coming back :) It's been decancellifyed!

The Family Guy To Return
Production begins for a 2005 return to TV.

February 27, 2004 - Rejoice, Griffin fans, production is about to restart on The Family Guy. Seth MacFarlane, the brains behind the show, tells IGN he's been given the go-ahead and the only question mark left is whether the new material will air initially on Fox or on Cartoon Network.

"Cartoon Network will be involved regardless," he says. "Whether it goes there permanently or winds up on Fox first and then Cartoon Network remains to be seen. So at the very least it will be on Cartoon Network, which is great because at the end of the day that's where we built our biggest fan base. So I'm happy either way."

He's doing what he can to restore as much of the old writing team as possible. However, there are a lot of good writers looking for work in Hollywood thanks to the reality show craze.

In fact, the series lost a few people before season three began, but MacFarlane expects to get back more of the original writers now than he did when season three was in production. The voice over actors won't be too much of a problem since it's animated and the voice recordings can be done around the actor's schedule.

If production begins in April, as he hopes, MacFarlane will present the new material to Fox around December, and it will decide if it picks up the show for 2005 or if it goes directly to Cartoon Network. That may seem like a long time, but MacFarlane says it would take even longer to get something done if he didn't have five leftover scripts from the show. Three are in good shape but two will need some rewrites, he says.

His other pitch, American Dad, is still in production. He created the show with Mike Barker and Matt Weitzman, who were supervising producers on The Family Guy. He describes the show as "Family Guy meets All in the Family, designed to poke fun at the particularly intense political state we're in right now."

The dad, Stan, is an extreme right-wing Republican while one of his daughters is an extreme left-wing Democrat. Stan works for CIA and has an alien (as in from outer space, not an illegal) living with the family. Fox is expected to decide on whether to pick up the series this spring.

The resurrection of The Family Guy comes after a groundswell of fan support, the strong ratings on Cartoon Network and stellar sales of the DVD sets. The Family Guy Volume 1 and Volume 2 have combined sales of close to two million units, according to MacFarlane.

"I think that's what made them sit up and take notice and say maybe there's more money to be made off this property and this thing is not dead yet," he says. "Because of DVD and cable, the show has been able to build an audience that, in the past, a show could only build on a network. So it's an indication that the landscape is changing a lot."

Needless to say, he's happy to do double duty with The Family Guy and American Dad "It's gonna be a challenge but this is what I do and what I love doing, so it's a monumental challenge that I'm happy to undertake. I'm thrilled. I think it's great," says MacFarlane.
-- Andy Patrizio
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/495/495464p1.html?fromint=1

The other thing hes working on (American Dad) sounds like its going to be pretty good too :)

there are more interveiws saying basicly the same from The BBC (in a real video) and Yahoo (nice long artical).

Oh my god, isn't it sad that i've got excited by that news??

Back