• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anne Boleyn

and she had a mole too. surely the mark of the devil!

whether she had a sixth finger or not once the rumour got going it wouldnt have mattered anyway. in the days before PC any sign of disability or physical oddity could be used to defile a persons rep as this was seen as a sign of evil/moral sickness, which probably accounts for the reason why Richard III (of the Tudor Myth) was turned into a hunched back demon when in all probability he just had a slight rise in his shoulder due to an old injury.

ANNE BOLEYN

SWEET ANNE BOLEYN
CAME HOME FROM FRANCE
AND HOOKED KING HAL
WITH ONE DARK GLANCE

ANNE TOOK HAL'S HAND
‘HAL, MAKE ME YOUR WIFE’
‘WHAT ABOUT QUEEN KATE?’
‘HAVE YOU NOT A SHARP KNIFE?’

AND AS OLD KATE LAY SICK
MAN AND WIFE THEY BECAME
AND AS OLD KATE LAY DEAD
THEY DID IT AGAIN.

HAL SAID TO SWEET ANNE,
‘GIVE ME A SON, YOU KNOW YOU OUGHTER’
CALAMITY! FOR SHAME!
SHE GAVE HIM A DAUGHTER!

WHEN A SON DID NOT COME HAL CRIED
‘ FORSOOTH! SHE IS A WITCH’
AND AS ANNE EYED THE BLOCK SHE THOUGHT
‘MY GOD! LIFE IS A BITCH!’

with a hey nonny nonny and a fiddle dee dee.

I’ll stop now.

feels good to get it out of my system

a ghost is said to haunt the bridge in the grounds of Hever but no one knows if it's Anne or her sister Mary (who had a an affair and, almost certainly, children with Henry VIII before Anne came on the scene. he named a ship after her. Awww, sweet!).

not quite but 10 out of ten for effort. you re about 300 years out (the Marie Celeste incident was in the 1870s). the ship Henry named after Anne's sister was called simply Mary Boleyn. he knew how to flatter a lady did Henry :sceptic:

another for the list Rochford Hall in Essex. her brother was Lord Rochford. and she appears as, yep, a headless apparition. have just read in The Ghost Handbook by J & A Spencer that a photo of a blue figure was taken in the 80s at Hever. if course they concluded that it was Anne. :err:

i think that the spirit of Anne has a contender for most haunted locations in Mary of Scots. i dont think there is a county in England or Scotland that cant claim at least one haunting by her.

moderndayyorkist said:
not quite but 10 out of ten for effort. you re about 300 years out (the Marie Celeste incident was in the 1870s). the ship Henry named after Anne's sister was called simply Mary Boleyn. he knew how to flatter a lady did Henry :sceptic:

Flatter them, then be bored and ended up beheading them for some made up conspiracies. :roll:

sounds a bit like my own dear da.i wonder if he's got a axe hidden in his cubby hole? :?

moderndayyorkist said:
sounds a bit like my own dear da.i wonder if he's got a axe hidden in his cubby hole? :?

He could have, RUN while you still can! :p :_omg:

believe me i'm running.

nah, things are okay for the moment cos he's happliy married to girl who's a year younger than me! :shock:

I was at the Tower this summer and bought a booklet of ghost stories. One related that a guard in the Queen's apartments saw an apparition of a woman with long hair in a black velvet dress. This was assumed to be a ghost of Anne. However, I couldn't help wondering if it might have been Katharine Howard, since Katharine Howard went to her death in a black velvet dress, and is also portrayed wearing a black velvet dress in Holbein's unattested but probable portrait of her. Both Anne and Katharine stayed in the Queen's apartments across from tower green before their deaths.

There's a theory that ghosts are simply recordings of events of moments of great emotional distress. well, considering what an eventful life anne had, and how thre must have been more than a few moments of great emotional distress - it would hardly be surprising if she popped up in a couple of places. anne also spent a few years in france, is there any stories about her haunting anywhere there?

michelleeb1970 said:
There's a theory that ghosts are simply recordings of events of moments of great emotional distress.
Blimey! I must be leaving a great swathe of ghosts all over the place, then! :shock:

Me too, this last year. :(

What about very happy times, I wonder? Do they leave a mark too?

(Now everyone follow the bouncing ball on the screen)

In the Tower of London, large as life,
The ghost of Ann Boleyn walks, they declare.
Poor Ann Boleyn was once King Henry's wife -
Until he made the Headsman bob her hair!
Ah yes! he did her wrong long years ago,
And she comes up at night to tell him so.

With her head tucked underneath her arm
She walks the Bloody Tower!
At the Midnight hour -

She comes to haunt King Henry, she means giving him 'what for',
Gad Zooks, she's going to tell him off for having spilt her gore.
And just in case the Headsman wants to give her an encore
She has her head tucked underneath her arm!

At the Midnight hour.

Along the draughty corridors for miles and miles she goes,
She often catches cold, poor thing, it's cold there when it blows,
And it's awfully awkward for the Queen to have to blow her nose
With her head tucked underneath her arm!

Sometimes gay King Henry gives a spread
For all his pals and gals - a ghostly crew.
The headsman carves the joint and cuts the bread,
Then in comes Ann Boleyn to 'queer' the 'do';
She holds her head up with a wild war whoop,
And Henry cries 'Don't drop it in the soup!'

At the Midnight hour.

The sentries think that it's a football that she carries in,
And when they've had a few they shout 'Is Ars'nal going to win?(1)'
They think it's Alec James(2), instead of poor old Ann Boleyn
With her head tucked underneath her arm!

At the Midnight hour.

One night she caught King Henry, he was in the Canteen Bar.
Said he 'Are you Jane Seymour, Ann Boleyn or Cath'rine Parr?
For how the sweet san fairy ann do I know who you are
With your head tucked underneath your arm!'

(C) R.P.Weston and Bert Lee, 1934

(1)Arsenal is a top London football club, (2)Alec James was a famous, diminutive Arsenal player of the 1930s

:lol: We used to play that on a wind-up gramophone as kids. I used to sing bits of it to my own kids too, they were gruesomely fascinated and found visiting the site of the Block in the Tower very exciting indeed.

I've read though that executions were done a distance away on the parade ground.

escargot1 said:
Me too, this last year. :(

What about very happy times, I wonder? Do they leave a mark too?
They should do, but I think moments of great pain/horror etc are more primeval and effect us on a more basic level, so maybe they are more likely to be imprinted on the environment.

this is a pretty ancient thread but, in case anyone is still interested, Anne Boleyn was descended from one of the medieval mayors of London who had a country house (?) where West Ham's Boleyn Ground now stands. Anne was supposed to appear there before a game if West Ham were going to win, so she's making herself pretty scarce now.

On an odder note Anne's brother George was executed a couple of days before she was and on the day of his death there was a story that horses were seen on his father's lands dragging a head less body behind them.

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/reports/reports.htm

Sir Thomas Boleyn Drives Headless Horses

Type: Curse
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: The father of Anne Boleyn is said to be cursed with driving his coach over forty Norfolk bridges. One of the passing points is Breckles Hall, where the spectre once scared a poacher to death. Locals say that anyone who views the coach is dragged down to hell.

(C) Paranormal data base

Haven't heard about the viewer being dragged down to hell before :shock:

Mr_Nemo said:
]Haven't heard about the viewer being dragged down to hell before :shock:

Isn't that the Hessian horseman from Sleepy Hollow?

Back