• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anthologies of Past Issues

ArthurASCII

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
When will FT be publishing some more anthologies of past issues?

I've got most of them, and they've saved a lot of wear and tear on my back issues.

I was really disappointed to see that fifty copies of one of the anthologies that I haven't got (and believed was unobtainable), is being given away as an inducement to complete a questionairre!

How many more succulent books are being hoarded in FT Towers?

Thanks Chupa. Every time I've visited eBay I've been unlucky, but "hope springs eternal.......".

Could I add my voice to the request for more compilations - I'm sure there is a demand for them out there.

I am looking for the ones spanning 1-25 and 31-46:

1-15 Yesterday's News Tomorrow

16-25 Diary of a Mad Planet

31-36 Gateways to Mystery

37-41 Heaven's Reprimands

42-46 If Pigs Could Fly

There are various online resources for second hand books:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Shopping/Publications/Books/Used_and_Rare/Search,_On-line/

and I have found Bibliofind to be very good - they have been taken over by Amazon but they sell a lot of used and rare books:

Amazon used books Fortean Times search

Amazon.co.uk equivalent

I did find 2 copies of Diary of a Mad Planet:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...0021258&field-status=open&size=25&rank=+price

So I grabbed one - there is another going begging ;)

a good alternative is:

http://www.abebooks.com/

Although most of the searches bring up the 'Weird Sex', etc. and some back issues - this might interest people who are seriosu about this:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=202997595

JOHN BROWN PUBLISHING Soft Cover (Magazines). This is a lot of 73 'FORTEAN TIMES' magazines being issues 35 - 38, 42 -44, 46, 50 -62, 66 - 100, 102 -110, 112 -136 and 138 at least 90% of them vg copies, a very small number may have creases or tears, etc., an interesting lot (..and heavy when it comes to postage!)

I do also pop down to Hay-on-Wye which has more second hand book shops than anywhere else and that sometimes turns up nice little treats (like Ravenscroft's book on the Spear of Destiny and Brookesmiths' Biohazards one) so secondhand book shops are a treat.

I know that we can drop such things into the Fortopedia when that happens but would people benefit from a list of volumes to make seaching easier?

Emps

I may have hallucinated this, but I'm fairly sure that you can lodge a set of search terms with eBay and when they turn up you are e-mailed the details. The single word "Fortean" was enough to do the searches that let me complete my collection.

One question - in this thread:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2442

Bob Rickard said:

Our new publisher (IFG) has no budget available at the present time for book projects of this sort ... and, sadly, no mechanism, yet, through which we can sell the few remaining copies in Bob's cellar.

If they are still there I'm sure we could look into taking them off his hands ;)

drjbrennan: Thanks for the tip - I'll keep an eye on that too. I got a bit disillusioned with all the sniping and couldn't be bothered taking things to the next level and sniping back.

Emps

I'm trying to complete my depleted FT reserves by getting the compliations. Has anyone any suggestions?

Hello there Helen, I have been watching ebay for a month or so and so far only one set of compilation books has gone through, and several of them fetched over 30 quid, so it is an expensive way to do it. Later issues of the magazine ( 70 onwards ) are probably cheaper to get individually or in job lots on ebay - I have bought around 100 recently for less than 1 pound per issue on average.

Early issues ( sub-60 or so ) are fetiching prices of over 10 quid each, especially for the early ones.

I wondered if we could find a way to work with the guys at FT to fund a print run of the books ( a mini-investment scheme of sorts ) where a group of us get together, fund the print run and get our investment back once the books sell a certain amount. This way we get the books, FT gets a cut of the profits and everyone is happy.

If any of the staff are listening, please let us know (or email me ) and we can see if it is practical. It should be fairly straightforward to organise a small investment using standard contracts for people willing to pay for this sort of thing, and using our combined network of contacts we can sell 100 copies per book easily.

Food for thought.

thanks

Iain

Whatever it takes to fill the gaps!! :D Although I would tend to shy away from copies of FT at a tenner a throw!

Reprints of FT compilations

I'd go for it. When I started buying FT, it was a given that you could catch up on the earlier issues by buying the collections (though I didn't realise that they were bound anthologies of actual issues, I always thought that they were reprints) - I never got round to buying any (I plead poverty) so I was very sad when they were withdrawn from sale. If this is going to be done, it would be good if all the issues could be made available (year-by-year?), along with the indexes needed to access the information within.

Re: Reprints of FT compilations

Whistling Jack said:
I'd go for it. When I started buying FT, it was a given that you could catch up on the earlier issues by buying the collections (though I didn't realise that they were bound anthologies of actual issues, I always thought that they were reprints)

I'm lucky enough to have almost all of the compilations. They certainly look like reprints to me. I dont think they're individual issues bound into collections.

Yes. The five issues I have are all reprints of the magazines bound into book-form. I just always assumed I'd get around to replacing all the earlier ones I'd missed, the ones that were 'borrowed' never to be seen again, and the ones that various moves and a divorce consigned to some black hole I have yet to rediscover (mind you, if said black hole is inhabited by my ex (which if there's any justice in the world would be) then he's welcome to it). ;)

Mmmm... I always thought that they were reprints but I recently read something about actual issues being bound together - probably my mistake.

UncleBulgaria said:
I wondered if we could find a way to work with the guys at FT to fund a print run of the books ( a mini-investment scheme of sorts ) where a group of us get together, fund the print run and get our investment back once the books sell a certain amount. This way we get the books, FT gets a cut of the profits and everyone is happy.

It shouldn't be necessary - I've mentioned it before but print on demand would be ideal for something like this. If the compilations are available in electronic formats then they can be sent to a print on demand publisher which could produce short runs of the books to order. I'm sure someone picked up a batch and set up something simple like a zStore through Amazon (or even if the mag started selling it through the store here) then it could easily be made available to anyone who wanted a copy. I know it often gets confused with vanity publishing but it is a different kettle of fish. There are different levels of P.o.D. - last weekends Online section of the Guardian had an article on something that might be close to the vanity publishing end:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,1205143,00.html

but that largely discusses selling single copies and the guy whos brain I picked worked for one that sold the books in short runs which cuts the base level of the cost and makes it more practical for small bookshops to buy and resell. I can fire any questions people have at him, etc. but I do think this has the potential to make things available without any requirement for an initial investment.

It might kill the roaring trade in old compilations but it would make original compilations collectable so.........

Emps

Hello there emps, I would be grateful if you could find out a little more ( I'm in a different time zone so it makes calling around expensive and hard to meet the working hours of the people involved ). I'm willing to invest in this project if we can get the stuff available again.

thanks

Iain

UB: Righto I'll get some general info and specific stuff. If there is anything specific you want to know (other than the basics like size of print run, costs, etc.) let me know.

Emps

Back