• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anti-aging guru shows magical powers

bosskR

Thunder Lyger
A year or so ago, me and my friend (David) were having dinner with an anti-aging guru of some repute (I don’t want to say which guru. We are not among his followers) in his flat. After dinner, we’re going out clubbing.

Visible from his window is a tram stop with an electronic display. There’s one tram in something like three minutes, which we don’t think we can catch, and a more comfortable one in ten minutes, which we decide on.

But all of a sudden, he changes his mind. We’re taking the earlier tram – run like hell!

David and I throw our shoes on and dart down the stairs, as fast as we possibly can, while the guru stays behind to lock the door. We barely make the tram, and say to each other ”What the hell did he do that for? Now he missed the tram” – well, as soon as we start talking about him, you guessed it, he’s on the tram.

David is 18, I’m 28. The guru, though much younger-looking, is middle-aged. He can probably not have run faster than us young folks; also, we started ahead of him, and at any rate he would have to have gone past us. There’s no shortcut. The only natural explanation is if he arranged it all with a twin we don’t know about.

(Creepy detail: At one point during the dinner, he said, word for word, ”I AM THE DEVIL” :twisted:)

OMG!

Are you still in contact with this... entity? :shock:

rynner said:
OMG! Are you still in contact with this... entity? :shock:

I didn’t realise, as I posted it, that it could spawn such a reaction – maybe a ”hah, that’s weird”, not an ”OMG!” ... but now that I think about it, what I’ve described is truly impossible.

!!!

Did it happen? It’s how I remember it. David too, last we talked about it. But the guru has extraordinary charisma and perhaps it was a case of suggestion, where he also barely made the tram, out of view, and we magnified it in our minds.

I’m also dropping you a private message with other details.

So is there no fire escape from his flat? If the guy lives across from the trams I'm sure he knows all the commings and goings, plus short cuts/fire doors, ect. (I take it the tram starts off slowly then gathers speed? Plently of time to hop on via an emergency door.) It sounds like this guy was playing mind/power games with you. Already called a 'guru,' and then announcing he was the devil set up an atmosphere/mind set. I find it especially dodgy that the guy suddenly decided to catch the tram last minute. I personnaly think this is because he had his route mapped out already.
Anyway, why does the supposed devil, with powers of teleportation need to lock his door, or eat for that matter?!

Well if he is a health guru, I think it is very possible he could have outrun you. Judging from the way he acted, it sounds like he was trying to prove something. If you go back to the place, could you check if there were any possible shortcuts?

(Good points – perhaps there simply is a shortcut. I’ve only been there a couple of times. Mind/power games ... I like that wording.)

So - this bald statement - 'I am the Devil' - did you ask him to explain exactly what he meant?

Could there have been two tram stops in the neighbohood - maybe he knew of one that was only one block away, but the opposite direction of where you were traveling, and he knew he could demonstrate his "magical" powers if he didn't let you know about it.

Yes, did he explain the devil remark? and why did he say it? just out of the blue?
And on the tram, on meaning sitting waiting -for -you-were-have-you-been, on the tram, or standing next to you like he just got on.
I wasn't going to, but i decided to, WHo was it anyway, c'mon, you're among friends, you can tell!

What prompted ”I AM THE DEVIL” I do not quite remember, but I think it was just a flippant remark that only took on a sinister meaning within the broader context/atmosphere of the evening, or perhaps in hindsight.

(I’ll be messaging some people privately from this thread.)

bosskR said:
A year or so ago, me and my friend (David) were having dinner with an anti-aging guru of some repute (I don’t want to say which guru. We are not among his followers) in his flat...
What floor/storey was his flat on?

Mythopoeika said:
So - this bald statement - 'I am the Devil' - did you ask him to explain exactly what he meant?

Really good question, Myth - I've certainly said things like "I'm the very devil tonight" and "Aren't we devils?"

Can't help thinking hypnotism was involved.

How did you know the next tram was in 3 mins and the one after was 10 mins?

Trams running 7 mins apart? Hmmmm.

"I am invisible, you can't see me till I tell you so."

"Hey presto! It's magic!"

Frobush said:
Or drugs? Had the guy cooked them a meal? There was a nightclub on the agenda...

Frobush said:
It’s possible, I guess.

Frobush said:
How did you know the next tram was in 3 mins and the one after was 10 mins? Trams running 7 mins apart? Hmmm.
There’s an electronic display at the stop that spells out when the next few trams are due. 3, 10 and 7 are not exact numbers, I just picked them to illustrate how the first one was due uncomfortably soon and the next was more comfortable ... but what do you find dubious about them running 7 minutes apart?

bosskR said:
what do you find dubious about them running 7 minutes apart?

I not doubting your word it's just that it would make the time tables easier if they staggered them 10 minutes apart.

Frobush said:
I not doubting your word it's just that it would make the time tables easier if they staggered them 10 minutes apart.
(I've looked at the time tables now, and I think they would have been 15 minutes apart.)

Frobush said:
If it's an electronic display, it probably displays when the tram should arrive, based on tracking data (possibly GPS, maybe other sensors).

Otherwise, a simple paper timetable could show when trams ought to arrive.

Back