• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

(Anti-) Social Media: Scams / Shams / Shills On Facebook & Other Sites

I want somewhere were I can score my spam. This one I give 0.5 out of 5.

Attachments

• IMG_5208.jpeg
    IMG_5208.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 17
Funnily enough, we once used an industrial unit for production in our shop. There was a very large firm selling refrigeration units on the same site. The firms name was nothing like ours, their unit number wasn't remotely like ours ... and yet, up until we closed in 2022, we still got emails (both spam and unsolicited touts) for this firm.
When it first started happening, we popped into their reception and told them about it; apparently, it all started by a 'free' listing site that looked up business addresses, got the details such as 'phone number and email, made an online mock-up then tried to sell it to the firm. When all the glaring errors were pointed out, the chancers went radio silent. It looked like they'd kept the mock-up online only for the info to be 'lifted' by scammers.
The funniest thing is the error of the original idiots: the firm's domain name was something like @Blahblah-Refrigeration.com and ours was @biccybones.co.uk! Not exactly an easy mistake to make!
It's been reported in the past that individual addresses of whole streets in the UK have been used by scammers to set up fake commercial enterprises.

Back