• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone heard this?

A

Anonymous

Late last night I was browsing EBay, when a hissing white noise came from the computer, then a distinct heartbeat for a few moments followed by a faint, crackling recording of a woman's scream.

This may be a well-known old joke doing the circuit but it was new to me!

Anyone else experienced it, and how was it done?

It wasn't coming from an advert was it?

This has really caught me out a couple of times, usually freaks me too. There's no reason that adverts can't send sound to your computer, it's just that they usually don't (and they're f*ck annoying when they do).

Indeed, I hate adverts with sound effects, sometimes they've made me jump in the past, but more often than not they're just annoying. If an advert makes loud, annoying noises suddenly enough I'll normally just close the window immediately ;)

your speakers can pick up the radio sometimes.

Yeah I've had bleed through from cb's on my Stereo and modem speaker before
once or twice with my stereo off.
Oddest occurance ever was ordinarily you could identify it as cb banter, but this once, all I heard was a sad tune being whistled by a human voice then it stopped
bleeding through as the tune stopped.
(no words before or after it!)
I think i have posted this in other 'evpish' threads :)
My big personal freakout regarding this stuff so far.

Was it an advert, you ask?

All I had 'on screen' was an EBay list of silver charms available for purchase, I was not connected to any other web-site.

It was not a snatch of radio, this was a deliberately orchestrated piece of Mock Gothic Horror. The sound of the heart-beat started very faintly then grew louder and ended in the scream. Then it all went silent again!

Funnily enough, it happened at about this time last night, and I am feeling decidedly twitchy!

someone on another message board is reporting the same experience - a woman's scream on an ebay page.

"someone on another message board is reporting the same experience - a woman's scream on an ebay page."

What particular page on ebay, and what message board?

message board is the lush forum, which requires regestration, so i couldn't post a link

http://www.lush.co.uk/system/index.html

the thread is "strange computer noises" in the "general chat" section, for anyone who is really desperate to read it, but i assure you that my previous post basically sums it up. :)

the conclusion was that it was an advert with a noise on.

ok, i have found the post:
"i was just on ebay and all of a sudden through my computer speakers came the noise of a beating heart, a thunderstorm and then a woman screaming(like in a black and white horror film). i had downloaded absolutely nothing and it came out of nowhere. WTF! any ideas?"

The story sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't seem to place where I've heard it before.

My computer used to randomly start talking about Blues Clues.

Did it for weeks, couldn't figure it out. FINALLY I realized it was an ad in AIM- I had blocked the image (with deadAIM) but the sound still came through. New deadAIM fixes it.

I'd bet its a pop-under add that's not working properly, and all you're hearing is the sound. Esp with the comment on the other board.

Off to Ebay...

thanks folks

Well, thanks for letting me know that "I am not alone" with my EBay Nightmare.

It would have been a much better gag with just a quiet voice saying "you don't need it, you can't afford it, don't buy it...."

If there were any banner ads on the page using flash they could have embedded sound. In fact any banner ad probably could, come to think of it.

Re: thanks folks

Augusta said:
It would have been a much better gag with just a quiet voice saying "you don't need it, you can't afford it, don't buy it...."

I don't mean to be offensive, but I don't think you'd make a very good advertising executive... ;)

Wasn't there a similar thing on here a while back where some forums/threads had machine gun fire FX on them :eek!!!!: all due to an ad for a game ...

On a similar note (ha! I slay me), does anyone else absolutely despise websites with embedded midis, or am I the sole grump here? At least some sites have controls where you can turn it off, but I've run into a few which don't. Horrible, tacky, tinkling things... ::shudders theatrically::

Indeed, website MIDI background music is very annoying, but there's an option in IE that can turn off "music and sounds" that I always ensure to select (don't think that affects Flash animations or any other plugins though, only things IE does itself).

Of course, it's not MIDI files' fault that the people with such sites only seem to select the suckiest of MIDI files, I have heard some good ones ;)

This is why (ok, not really) I don't even have my speakers on unless I'm playing a game or a cd. I don't want screaming people scaring me while innocently surfing the net.

My husband's friend comes over sometimes and uses my computer to play head-to-head games with my husband and he ALWAYS forgets to shut off the speakers when they're done! So sometimes, I'll be checking my mail or something and get startled by music or the like from an attachment. Never anyone screaming (fortunately) but it's annoying nonetheless. Maybe you should keep your speakers off when you're surfing. ;) If this happens even WITH your speakers off, that's just freaky! :eek!!!!:

Ditto.
The e-mail I use plays the most annoying music when trying to check mail. Therefore, I usually keep the sound off unless I actually need it for something. I HATE it when people turn it on and LEAVE it on so that when you go to do something on the computer it starts making noise and startles you. Or when they leave it on and the screan saver they are using makes noise. WHY?

Sheer notniceness, I think. I've asked him to shut them off & I've mentioned it to my husband but maybe it's because they usually wrap up their games so darn late (or early, depending on your point of view) that they just don't think of it.

Sounds like a movie advertisement to me. How long ago was this?

Back