• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone In The Preston Area?

RaM

Justified & Ancient
For anyone interested in the Preston area there have been reports of 4 strange
blue lights/discs moving quickly about over Beacon Fell, Catterall areas, not
seen anything myself and attempts to get video and pics seen to have failed
up to now, probably someone with a laser or some such but may be worth
having a camera handy and keeping a lookout.
They were there last night and a day or two earlier by all accounts reported by
more than one person.

It’s not one of these is it?

1598859534733.jpeg

No idea just seen a video and though the lights are tiny on the screen they are moving
about very quickly here's a still from the video maybe more later.

Becon Fell UFO.jpg

It as a resemblance to one seen some time back over Preston, that looks like a aircraft to me,
but the one over Beacon Fell does not move like a aircraft by all accounts.

Just for clarity below is the one seen some time back over Preston.
PRESTON UFO.jpg

Last night about 11, in bed and we heard what at first I thought was a street cleaner,
A sound like rushing air, like wind but a sheady building noise, no engine noise of any kind.
Wife says it's the mail plane, a cargo plane goes over same time every night but you can
hear engine noise, with this you couldn't.
Well it continued to build to the point I looked out of the window and saw a black shiny shape
with 2 or 3 lights one definitly red but they did not look like the usual aircraft lights the red
one looked more like a oblong heating element than a light, it was so low I could only see a
small part of it due to the view angle and houses and was traveling slowly, cars move faster
on our road.
It has to be said we live in a military low fly zone and a test area used by BA systems also
many helicopter belonging to the military and gas industry operate roundabout, only
yesterday a L39 Czechoslovak built jet trainer/ ground attack aircraft was flying about we
are used to the unusual, so what was it? not a clue but suspect it was man made.

Last night about 11, in bed and we heard what at first I thought was a street cleaner,
A sound like rushing air, like wind but a sheady building noise, no engine noise of any kind.
Wife says it's the mail plane, a cargo plane goes over same time every night but you can
hear engine noise, with this you couldn't.
Well it continued to build to the point I looked out of the window and saw a black shiny shape
with 2 or 3 lights one definitly red but they did not look like the usual aircraft lights the red
one looked more like a oblong heating element than a light, it was so low I could only see a
small part of it due to the view angle and houses and was traveling slowly, cars move faster
on our road.
It has to be said we live in a military low fly zone and a test area used by BA systems also
many helicopter belonging to the military and gas industry operate roundabout, only
yesterday a L39 Czechoslovak built jet trainer/ ground attack aircraft was flying about we
are used to the unusual, so what was it? not a clue but suspect it was man made.
Sounds like it was a military stealth helicopter operating in 'whisper mode'. Probably training by flying at night and using an infrared illumination source to light up the ground below.

Sounds like it was a military stealth helicopter operating in 'whisper mode'. Probably training by flying at night and using an infrared illumination source to light up the ground below.

Never having heard of whisper mode I looked it up. Although there are designs which reduce rotor noise, the only info I could find re current situation is a company claiming a 3 or 4db noise reduction. That's not much. Even a quiet helicopter would be noisy.

Never having heard of whisper mode I looked it up. Although there are designs which reduce rotor noise, the only info I could find re current situation is a company claiming a 3 or 4db noise reduction. That's not much. Even a quiet helicopter would be noisy.
I thought that a 3 or 4db reduction actually halved the noise level? Never much good at physics etc me.

No idea just seen a video and though the lights are tiny on the screen they are moving
about very quickly here's a still from the video maybe more later.

View attachment 29359

It as a resemblance to one seen some time back over Preston, that looks like a aircraft to me,
but the one over Beacon Fell does not move like a aircraft by all accounts.

Just for clarity below is the one seen some time back over Preston.
View attachment 29362
I have seen drones flying over Beacon Fell a few times, but not obviously at night. Interesting.

I was convinced it was man made but nothing I had seen before, we get all sorts of
helicopters by day and sometimes night even one of the American HU1 Huey's flys
over now and then, if it was a Stealth copter then whatever they have done is very effective
non of the beating noise or engine but a sound like a strong wind.
I have heard the noise on a few occasions but always put it down to the council st cleaning
at night but thinking about it why would they in a rural area, if it happens again I will take
more notice.

Last edited:
I thought that a 3 or 4db reduction actually halved the noise level? Never much good at physics etc me.

The decibel scale is logarithmic & as a rough rule of thumb, an increase of 10db will sound twice as loud to the ear - it doesn't matter whereabouts on the scale this happens.

From here.

In decibel terms, a doubling in loudness corresponds to roughly an increase in 10 dB. It doesn’t matter whether that increase is from 40 dB to 50 dB or 70 dB to 80 dB.

I know this is a old thread but it was back last night, sounds just like a road sweeper but
the council don't sweep at 11pm, this time it was moving faster and was gone before I
could react, what ever it is I am convinced it doesn't have rotors like a helicopter sounds
like high speed fans

I know this is a old thread but it was back last night, sounds just like a road sweeper but
the council don't sweep at 11pm, this time it was moving faster and was gone before I
could react, what ever it is I am convinced it doesn't have rotors like a helicopter sounds
like high speed fans
If it's flying over at the same time as last time, I'd take bets on it being something man-made.

like high speed fans
Drone?

If it is it's a very big one, we do get the odd normal size ones but they are
nowhere near as loud but I do suspect it's something of that nature.
And I do think it's man made just something we have not been told about.

Last edited:
like high speed fans
The other week we had an Osprey flying around this area and it didn't sound like a conventional aircraft or helicopter - in fact, I thought sounded just like a road sweeper! And the sound faded very quickly as it flew away, unlike some heavy helicopters that were in the area - you could hear them long before and long after you'd seen them.

Never seen a Osprey so don't know what they sound like, but we do get lots
of different aircraft, what ever this one is it as been over a few times but up
to the last pass but one I had thought it was a sweeper, then on that pass
it was going so slow I looked out and got a glimpse of it, on last nights pass
it was going faster but I doubt it was going over 40/50 mph but that is to
fast for me to grab the cam and get out to look, it fly's very low so is gone
in seconds even at low speed.
I wonder if it's some kind of airship drone cross breed, will have to sleep
in running shoes with cameras to hand.

Just had a look on Flight trader and the only aircraft in the area was a C130
and that never got less than 10 miles away nothing else for miles not that
I expected anything interesting to show but worth a look.

Just had a look on Flight trader and the only aircraft in the area was a C130
and that never got less than 10 miles away nothing else for miles not that
I expected anything interesting to show but worth a look.
When the Osprey was flying about my neck of the woods, I checked out Flightradar and it didn't show up on that.

A lot of military and police aircraft don't what surprised me was a U2 a few weeks
back did show.

A lot of military and police aircraft don't what surprised me was a U2 a few weeks
back did show.
I noticed that U2. I've also seen Typhoons suddenly vanish, they've either switched off their transponders or there's a relative of the Bermuda Triangle lurking off the northeast coast of Scotland.

Think it was back 3 nights ago, very low maybe 100ft I just
heard the street sweeper noise and got a flash of dim red
lights, likely doing about 100 mph to low and fast to react
wife gave me one of those "what the feck was that" looks
to big to be a helicopter no feeling of pressure or downwash
you get with them and we do get a few here 2 this morning.
Will get it on camera yet.
:dunno:

The phantom road sweeper was back again last night, it woke me up about dawn
going west to east this time, was going fast to fast for me to even look out the window,
checked the camera's but they point down for the hedgipigs and only thing on them
at about the time is some interference bands and next doors kitchen light coming on
so maybe it disturbed them too, will catch it on camera yet sure as hell it's not a road
sweeper. Looked back on Flightrader and nothing of interest there.

The last time I was in Preston, I ended up joining the RAF for 35 years…….I’m not falling for that again!
Ahhh, the RAF. A dogfight over the channel, then back to the mess and kippers for brekkers. Cravat and pipe on/in at all times. Marvelous chaps.

I heard the noise again a few nights back but could not see anything and it sounded
further away, but I have been told quite a few saw it over the other side of the harbor
describing it as a slow flying triangle with red lights heading out to sea.
Trying to get more info.

:omr:

Going out to sea from here and it could well end up over Ireland,
the locals are now talking about flashes of light quite a few have
seen it but not me unfortunately.
:omr::frust:

Back