• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Remember An Old 'Door-Cam' Timeslip?

Tunn11

Justified & Ancient
In the early days of cheaper video cameras when people were just starting to use them for security, 1980s or 1990s or maybe earlier I have memories of a case being reported where the camera was picking up images of a street scene from the past.

IIRC these cameras, installed in a set of flat or apartments were just used when a bell was rung or when operated by the person in the flat rather than being on all the time or recording images. The story went that one camera in the block showed the street as it would have been about a hundred years before.

I think it was mentioned on a TV programme but like most of these things a brief flurry of interest then nothing; all of course pre internet.

Anyone remember it or know the outcome of any investigation? I'd suspect it would be fairly easy to hoax by holding an image to the camera as image quality was not good then.

In the early days of cheaper video cameras when people were just starting to use them for security, 1980s or 1990s or maybe earlier I have memories of a case being reported where the camera was picking up images of a street scene from the past.

IIRC these cameras, installed in a set of flat or apartments were just used when a bell was rung or when operated by the person in the flat rather than being on all the time or recording images. The story went that one camera in the block showed the street as it would have been about a hundred years before.

I think it was mentioned on a TV programme but like most of these things a brief flurry of interest then nothing; all of course pre internet.

Anyone remember it or know the outcome of any investigation? I'd suspect it would be fairly easy to hoax by holding an image to the camera as image quality was not good then.
That rings a bell (sorry). Wasn't it a London street, and you could see buildings opposite that weren't there or something?

That rings a bell (sorry). Wasn't it a London street, and you could see buildings opposite that weren't there or something?
I think it somewhere near the Thames on the south bank near to London Bridge.

I have a feeling that it was either West London or the West Country but a town like Bath or Bristol. The buildings were different but recognisable as the same street and there were no cars etc. in evidence. I can't remember whether the TV showed the view through the camera or not - if they did the quality was awful - a combination of the TV then and the equipment being used.

Other than that I can't remember anything - I hope I haven't started another Thunderbird photo legend, but if you remember it as well.......:)

Wasn't it an early IHTM?

Definitely remember London being involved.

I’m rereading the IHTM books (why weren’t there more?’ And I’ve always loved this one.

“PARALLEL UNIVERSE.
I live in a converted warehouse in east London with a video entryphone by the front door. The camera has a fixed point of view and shows visitors against a background of the adjacent Victorian warehouse. The tiny TV entryphone unit in my flat hadn’t shown a picture for a while, although the buzzer and intercom were working normally. The system was serviced - at the camera end rather than at my end - and to my amazement when the doorbell rang I could clearly see my visitor on the screen as intended, but against the background of a row of Edwardian terraced houses that I’d never seen before. Is someone in that unidentified street seeing our warehouses on their video entry phone? Has a time-space portal been unwittingly opened? Is this a ghost in the machine that throws into doubt the veracity of modern surveillance equipment? I subsequently learnt that a neighbour has had this illogical view on his entryphone for months. The repair company suggests that he has a second-hand monitor with its last view burned into the screen; he says he bought it as a new unit; and of course this doesn’t explain why my monitor has only recently taken to depicting my visitors in a parallel universe (though some of them definitely are). If anyone has unwanted warehouses on their video entryphone maybe they would consider an exchange. Alex Brattell, by email, 1995 ”

Excerpt From

Fortean Times: It Happened to Me! Volume 1

Fortean Times

https://books.apple.com/gb/book/fortean-times-it-happened-to-me-volume-1/id441512544

This material may be protected by copyright.

Here we go

Here we go
That sounds like it but I wonder whether it got picked up by a TV station. I have a memory of seeing it on TV. Maybe a local news "silly season" type of story?

I remember it as a picture, not just a story, and the IHTM story was similar but not exactly the same. And I never saw Fortean TV so unlikely it was there.

I seem to remember 'seeing' it, but that doesn't mean anything as my imagination is quite powerful so the 'picture' may be a construct of my brain.

Back