• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Appearance Of Jade Egg

Moooksta

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I’d forgotten about this event as it happened about two months ago now but I suddenly remembered last night when my flatmate asked me what I was reading so intently on the net. The flat mate is no Fortean nor Net head (she looks at shoes on Ebay), but she mentioned this event and I thought perhaps the enlightened ones could shed some light on it more for her sake than mine. It’s her flat after all, ex-council to be precise.

Claire leaves for work around 8.30ish in the morning. I get up after she leaves. I did so one morning and came through to the living room and found a jade egg on the floor just inside the living room door. I’m trying to find the thing again so I can get a picture up here (if I can remember how to do that!). It was sitting on the carpet about a foot into the living room. It’s about an inch and half long maybe an inch high and made of green stone so I’ll call it jade. It looks like one of those ornamental eggs you used to get in a basket from one of those shops that sells incense, wooden furniture that kind of thing.

The egg was cold when I picked it up and placed it on the table in the living room. When Claire got in and I pointed it out to her, she said she’d never seen it before? Neither have I? Neither have any of the steady stream of visitors to the flat as we asked them. We have a cat and it’s possible the cat found it and was playing with it but surely Claire would have noticed as she left for work. Also it’s a bit heavy for the cat which is a small thing to say the least.

So where did it come from? The symbolism which I’ve checked - I think “making a nest” seems to be the best explanation as Claire is in her mid 30’s and very feminine, I can hear her biological clock ticking right now. But where the egg came from I have no idea. Claire herself reckons it’s her deceased grandfather which I’m quite happy to let her run with as she obviously finds that a comfort.

The cat has been known to stare at the wall and a few weeks back was terrified to go into the living room but I would point out - Loulou is a pure breed chinchilla so I'm afraid she's a little strange most of the time. (Insert Duelling Banjo's here)

Me? I could have a presence sitting next to me and I wouldn't notice, guess I'm just not that lucky!

But I’d be interested to hear any other ideas the forum may have. Poltergeist? (Claire's niece and nephew have had an upsetting few years) Sign from beyond? Anyone heard of an item like this being found before? Am I missing something in that it's jade and it's an egg? I’ll try to find it and picture it for you!

mooks out

Made of Jade?

Hi Moooksta

It may not be jade, but green onyx, which is quite often used for egg making.

If it has bands of lighter and darker green, or white, or possibly brown, running through the stone, I would say onyx.

If it is green all the way through and has the appearance of, say a half-sucked boiled sweet (I'm sure you can imagine this) then it might well be jade.

Green jade has a slightly bluish tinge to it, whereas green onyx has a more yellowish tinge.

As for the symbolism of an egg, well take your pick: rebirth, new hope, promise for the future, all of these and many more...

PK

Microwave it fast before it produces another fatuous celeb!

My guess is that Kitty rolled it out from under something. By the First Law of Cats, she will have left a turd there in exchange.

Maybe Kitty would offer the same generous rate of exchange for some which hatched before we got to them? :?

4th June: edit. "under some inaccessible place" just wrong!

I guess if it's an ex council flat you don't have an open chimney do you? I ask because occasionally magpies drop strange things down my chimney (including a real egg once)

Seen any mice lately? Trader mice and packrats will take something from a place (usually food, possibly the cats kibble?) and leave some trinket they found somewhere else in its place. Possibly the cat found the egg, or the mouse and its egg, and the egg is all that is left of the encounter.
As for your mates biological clock, well maybe it's a hint?
Just speculation of course, very interesting.
Would love to see it,as I collect egg jewelry,I give it to my wife since it's not a manly thing to have for myself, but she likes eggs too and wears them as pendants.
I have given her 7 or 8 faberge' styled replicas as pendants and small jewelry boxes, they are quite ornate and pleasing to the eye.
Hope to see the pic soon.

See if you can hatch it by sitting on it. There might be a dragon inside or something.

Having just shown the flat mate this thread, she mentioned that her grandfather used to work with marble.

As for the biological clock and hatching it...

I can't find the thing and I think my flat mate may have it...

mooks out

Moooksta said:
Having just shown the flat mate this thread, she mentioned that her grandfather used to work with marble.

I have seen green marble, there is a marble mill not far from my house, and they have a small shop that sells items ranging from pendants to tabletops and headstones, that's a possibility. Or possibly the grandfather used his skills on some other more precious stone and made it.

Lovely! looks like green marble to me,I could be wrong.
But it does not look like jade to me. :(
Lovely stone though, nice work.
Dimensions? weight?

I've got one, as well

I also have a small green egg, and have no idea where it came from. I have a set of four stone eggs, that are about hen egg size. But this one is quite small. Not quite 4 cm in length, and at its widest, its circumference is 9cm. I know where I got the four larger eggs but don't have any recollection with regard to this small egg. It's just been with my stuff for over fifteen years, and it's only upon reading the original post that I suddenly thought about the origins of this egg. There's almost certainly some mundane explanation but I don't know what that may be, at this stage.
The egg is a very dark green, although I'm not sure if its real NZ greenstone. My one looks identical to the second picture but has none of the characteristics shown in the first pic. I've got flat batteries on my camera so can't photograph it at the moment. Will do so in a couple of days.

Moooksta said:
Okay I've managed to get some images...

TWO PICS OF THE EGG

mooks out
Going by the crystalline structure, I'm guessing it's actually a dark green agate egg:

qnaag002.jpg

You could always check for yourself, there's a stone egg ID parade, here:
http://www.quartznall.co.uk/eggs.htm

Could have fallen out of someone's pocket and rolled under something, at sometime in the past. Only to be dislodged by the cat and played with. Otherwise, no idea how it got there.

As for searching for your flatmate's hidden egg, make sure you ask permission first. ;)

As the living room was cleared before flat mate moved in we must assume that someone brought it in. However we've asked the visitors to the living room and all have denied owning or carrying the egg.

It's under two inches (as you can see from the photo) and it weighs 80.2 grammes. Quite heavy for the cat beast creature given that the cat beast creature is quite small, I mean it's kitten sized.

I've tried Pietro's link but it ain't loading the page, I will try it later though as the idea of an egg ID parade sounds fun.

Having just questioned the flat mate about where the settees came from :sceptic: ...she's just told me they were second hand. My money's on the egg being in the settees, then it falls out, then the cat beast creature goes hullo!

Mister Whitehead's Law of Kitty is getting my bet. Flat mate (non Fortean) sees some sort of mystic message from beyond.

Let us end this conversation.

mooks out

Regardless of the material made from, some 'fake' eggs are used to encourage hens to lay their own. You pop them under a poor layer and, somehow, they fool the hen into their own ... production.

They're also rather good for darning socks.

Bump ...

In 2017 there was a social media flap generated when Gwyneth Paltrow's lifestyle website GOOP recommended jade eggs inserted into the vagina as healing / healthful aids.

'Jade egg' is apparently a longstanding alternative label for a 'yoni egg':

Yoni egg, jade egg, or love egg – are names for a beautiful semiprecious stone carved into an egg shape and polished to be worn inside the vagina.

https://yoniegg.com

I wonder if the 'jade egg' mentioned in this thread was a yoni egg that either (a) the prior settee owner had stashed and forgotten or (b) the flatmate or a visitor dropped but wouldn't admit to owning.

If anyone one had had a glass or two of sloe gin, they perhaps couldn't blamed for telling ms Paltrow what to do with her jade eggs. As for me I just boil mine.

this thread reminded me that I have a black onyx egg in my desk. Had it for years, cannot remember when I acquired it or who gave it to me. It's always been in with my office stuff , along with the tape measure, dalek paperclips etc.
I fiddle with it when I am stressed or need distracting

Back