• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Apple promotes Darwinism, Satanism'

A

Anonymous

If you are in the mood for some real carpet chewing, good ol' xtian fundie polemicising, check out:
http://members.truepath.com/objective/propaganda.html
which reveals the truth that all Mac users and workers are goddless darwinians.
Sample text:'The real operating system hiding under the newest version of the Macintosh operating system (MacOS X) is called... Darwin! That's right, new Macs are based on Darwinism! While they currently don't advertise this fact to consumers, it is well known among the computer elite, who are mostly Atheists and Pagans. Furthermore, the Darwin OS is released under an "Open Source" license, which is just another name for Communism. They try to hide all of this under a facade of shiny, "lickable" buttons, but the truth has finally come out: Apple Computers promote Godless Darwinism and Communism.'

I should point out that this could well be a hoax, as the name of the site is suspicously close to a joke Christian internet site,part of the Betty Bowers empire http://bettybowers.com/ , but as yet no proof is forthcoming, and expert division (i.e., the Linux jihad at Slashdot and the Registry) is divided.

chatsubo said:
They try to hide all of this under a facade of shiny, "lickable" buttons,
Well, if anything's going to persuade me to get a Mac, it's going to be all those shiny lickable buttons, for sure. Mmmmmm!

Ah, recognition at last! We're all in a conspiracy to bring down the dreaded Microsloth empire. ;)

Although if OS X really is open source then I'd like to know why they want almost 100 quid for it!

Wandering off onto one of those "that reminds me" moments...

Several years ago Apple codenamed three of their latest models "Cold Fusion", "Carl Sagan" and "Piltdown Man" allegedly after the three greatest scientific frauds of the century... Sagan sued for libel, though whether this for being called a fraud or because the fastest model wasn't named after him I really don't know. :p

Jane.

Joke site, I think. Quote: ' "Darth Maul": Commercialized symbol of evil whose name sounds like "mall". Coincidence?'
Still, reminded me of what happened to poor old Proctor & Gamble in the 1970s(?) when Christian fundamentalists accused them of using 'satanic' imagery with their man in the moon logo. Cost P&G a mint, as I remember. Also, links in with the 666 barcode mark of satan palaver. Wonder what undeserving multinational is going to get it for real next? And I wonder if they'll be able to make it stop by giving a suitable 'donation' to prove their honesty?

Was Sagan linked with any particular hoax, or did Apple just find him a bit irritating

About 45 miles west of me, there is a town called Darwin. It's also home to the largest ball of twine on the face of the earth. Surely, this means something.

Something evil.

I liked the post Sagan name changes, Jane! Makes me feel quite friendly towards Applemac, although I've never tried one.

chatsubo said:
Was Sagan linked with any particular hoax, or did Apple just find him a bit irritating

Who could possibly find such an open-minded scientist as Sagan irritating? ;)

Here's another nice snippit of alleged information for you: the 7100 was originally going to be called Gates but the lawyers vetoed the idea because Apple was embroiled in a bitter legal battle with Microsloth at the time.

Getting back to the cult thing: it's certainly true that Mac users are generally more passionate about their platform than Windoze users - saddos like me even play a game called Mac Spotting where you look out for Macs on TV and in films (Jurarssic Park!, Independence Day!) - must be those lickable buttons.

Anyway, must dash as I need to arrange for a Mac Evangelist (yes, famous Mac users really are called evangelists!) to visit Rynner Towers. Possible new recruit there.

Jane.

I'd never noticed that 'Gates - Windows' parallel before. (Am I fik, or wot?) It ought to be in the weird names thread!

rynner said:
I'd never noticed that 'Gates - Windows' parallel before. (Am I fik, or wot?) It ought to be in the weird names thread!
Microsoft use that as a mark of respect to their real founder Yog Sothoth - the gate that should never be open, the window at the centre of the dark spaces, that kinda a thing

Can't believe I missed this thread, will promse to wear a dunce hat for the rest of the day.:(

While I'm thinking Appley things does anybody in the UK want 32Mb of RAM for an old tray loading iMac?
It's not very exciting I know but I've got it lying around (no cost just let me know your address)

I posted this else where, but I think the site above may be the real deal since they denounce this one quite roundly :)

8¬)

harlequin said:
I posted this else where, but I think the site above may be the real deal since they denounce this one quite roundly :)

8¬)
Yes, but methinketh they protesteth just a touch too much - not just denouncing the site, but naming and villifying its founder and providing links to both him and his site! Hmmm, I smell hype.....

I think the effectiveness of the site is just how close to actual anti-evolution argument some of the material is. I suspect that this is the point. When read in isolation, some of the articles are just too subtle (the Mac OS X one in particular), but when you view the site as a whole, it's clearly satire. The Creation Science Fair section is a bit of a giveaway, although some of the jokes are slightly obscure if you're not familiar with typical creationist arguments.

I imagine that the site gained credibility due to it being originally hosted on Truepath.com, a Christian webhosting service. The pages have since been removed from there, so I assume they are not part of the joke and eventually realised it was a leg-pull.

Personally I think the "How to spot a Terrorist" gives it away lol :D

They've nailed Disney as well:

'Due to a string of actions by Disney in the mid-1990s, AFA [American Family Association] began to see two major problem areas developing at the Mouse, which tarnished its once pristine family-friendly image: the often vulgar, violent and anti-Christian films produced and distributed through Disney subsidiary Miramax, and the promotion of the homosexual agenda throughout the Disney corporation. '

And Americans for Truth have got it in for the Teletubbies.

I think Bungle's eyes are too close together.

Back